Embra v Boo Boys Sat 28th Dec

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Embra v Boo Boys Sat 28th Dec

Postby Weegie on Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:04 am

The conference table is looking good. A long way to go, but a decent start so far.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:30 am

Any news on Rambo? Looked like ribs when he went off.

I like Willemse but our lineout jumpers don’t. Noticed a big step down when he came on.

Also a comment on Nel, Cockers was talking him up, but really he is struggling with the pace of the game. Hoepfully with a couple of games more he will get up to speed, but other than being rock solid in the scrum he didn’t add much, although being rock solid is not and thing to offer. Berg looks much more dynamic when he came on, the transformation in him form the big lump that arrived is huge.

Good to see Denton get a good reception, he had his faults but like Visser he came wit a skill set we just couldn’t seem to develop at the time (arguably still dint but getting better).
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:41 am

Weegie wrote:The conference table is looking good. A long way to go, but a decent start so far.

So tight though, no room for silly slip ups with only 7 points between 1st and 6th at present
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:46 am

The Feral Goat wrote:
Weegie wrote:The conference table is looking good. A long way to go, but a decent start so far.

So tight though, no room for silly slip ups with only 7 points between 1st and 6th at present

You talking about next week? :|
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:22 am

Aye exactly the sort of game we have gone into with too casual an attitude and come unstuck in the past.

Followed by a couple of euro matches, then we play Scarlets, Connacht and Cardiff during 6N three massive matches that may decide the fate of this season.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:47 am

This year we need to take each game as a stand alone fixture, forget yesterday and treat each one as a difficult must win, 6 nations will be hard going but at least now we do have back ups available.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:49 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

"Tifosi" - *applauds*

I think Muckle great Duhan should be given a huge amount of credit for Mickle Darcy's match-wining try, vdM took a ball that was dying and made it into great counter-attack ball through his enormous strength and belief in the attacking ability of our team - that BP was down to him as much as Graham's lethal finishing and Bennett's perfect draw-and-pass

I see the usual MariusJonker are out in force across by

Aye, but I genuinely think we have the better team now, it might take a couple of years and a couple of changes, but apart from Horne Jnr, Price and Hastings, I'll take our backs over theirs, and I'll back Charlie Shiel in the long term, he is going to be great.

The packs aren't even close

I quite like the Glasgow pack to be honest. I think they need to move on from Wilson and Gibbins as starters, I think Harley is a reasonable club player - probably more a lock at this time. But Cummings, Fagersons X2, Brown, Seuili, Turner are dynamic and aggressive. I quite like Grant Stewart - he's a quality player but maybe a bit lightweight. Tom Gordon absolutely dominated us last year so disappointed they seem uninterested in playing him. We'll see how younger lads shake out.

I actually thought yesterday the Glasgow tight 5 were more punchy than our boys. Cummings especially is absolutely class.
Ritchie, Watson, Mata and then Bradbury were just unplayable.

The backs it's true Glasgow are a bit lost. I really do think Hastings is excellent and getting better - no surprise the game completely turned with him off the pitch. Price and Horne are really good - Dobie looks very promising too. But then they have far too many centres - none of whom can play 12 and 13 well. Seymour fine but the who else in the back three scares anyone. It's a total mess.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:48 pm

I'll back track a little from the euphoria/whisky from last night. There isn't too much between the two starting sets of locks. I thought Gilcho and Toolis carried pretty well yesterday and weren't shown up at all. Cummings took his try very well and will really push for a starting Scotland jersey, which makes me wonder if Big Richie will be back in the reckoning, he was playing well earlier this season, but I haven't seen him lately.

I think there is a big drop off between Zander and the rest over there, likewise from Kebble, but the new Kiwi looks promising. Their forwards coach seems to have made a difference, but I like our depth at tighthead, Bhatti seems prone to giving away daft penalties, but he has played well for Scotland and Glasgow so he gets a pass for now. Schoeman is easily the best loosehead in the country.

Rambo is ahead of Brown in my book, it's a shame we lost Turner, he is a very good player, I think Fenton can be as good if he gets a run of injury-free time.

After our four backrow players from yesterday we've still got very decent choices, Fagerson jnr is pretty much the only one of Glasgow's that I'd take, but I don't know who I'd ditch in return - Disco's depth chart https://topofthemoongw.files.wordpress. ... 9-20-1.png

However it all counts for nought if we don't get that winning mentality sorted, we could have won last week and we really need to start getting over the line in those games. We were better at it during Cockers' first season with us than last year.
With the depth we now have and a decent run from the injury gods, we shouldn't run out of steam this coming spring.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:09 pm

Toolis and Gilchrist were good but they definitely lack the dynamism of Cummings. I think a problem is Edinburgh ask the forwards to either run or pass out the back meaning they don't get ahead of steam whereas Cummings goes hell for leather at a gap no matter where he is on the pitch. Definitely hopes Cummings gets the six nations. Don't think GG and Toolis will ever be more than average international locks.

There's really nothing between Brown and McInally. I think Brown is a bit more aggressive and on better form so he'd start at 2 for me Vs Ireland but wouldn't be disappointed either way. McInally has been a bit off the boil lately.

Schoeman is better than Glasgow's LHs but I think Fagerson played him very well. Was probably the best battle of the 1872. Never really got the hype with Zander but he's been exemplary for Glasgow the last two games. Bhatti is a serious concern for me he's looked bad. Where's Sutherland?

The Glasgow pack can be pretty ferocious, it's a shame Matt Fagerson was banned. Can't wait to see him and Nakawara at Murrayfield later this year. A real ding dong battle awaits. Especially if it has league implications which it looks like it will. I agree Dalziel is doing well which is good to see.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:33 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Toolis and Gilchrist were good but they definitely lack the dynamism of Cummings. I think a problem is Edinburgh ask the forwards to either run or pass out the back meaning they don't get ahead of steam whereas Cummings goes hell for leather at a gap no matter where he is on the pitch. Definitely hopes Cummings gets the six nations. Don't think GG and Toolis will ever be more than average international locks.

There's really nothing between Brown and McInally. I think Brown is a bit more aggressive and on better form so he'd start at 2 for me Vs Ireland but wouldn't be disappointed either way. McInally has been a bit off the boil lately.

Schoeman is better than Glasgow's LHs but I think Fagerson played him very well. Was probably the best battle of the 1872. Never really got the hype with Zander but he's been exemplary for Glasgow the last two games. Bhatti is a serious concern for me he's looked bad. Where's Sutherland?

The Glasgow pack can be pretty ferocious, it's a shame Matt Fagerson was banned. Can't wait to see him and Nakawara at Murrayfield later this year. A real ding dong battle awaits. Especially if it has league implications which it looks like it will. I agree Dalziel is doing well which is good to see.

From a scotland point of view I think 2nd row is interesting. For me toolis is the best lineout operator, Cummings the best ball carrier, although I thought his tackle technique was questionable, bit dan lydiate dive at feet style, Gilchrist and J gray most rounded but very similar. Richie gray has looked the best complete package but without excelling in any one area and appears out of favour. I think balance important and a toolis Cummings partnership could be good but cant see that ahead of the more conservative and consistent gray and Gilchrist but needs to be looked at as pack as whole.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:47 am

Another tight game but a couple of things went our way.

We managed to get our strike runners into the game and both VdM and Graham made the difference. Both created havoc whenever they had ball in hand. The difference this week was that both went looking for work and it paid off.

Secondly, bringing on Pyrgos and Scott turned the game around. Scott runs beautiful lines and almost scored a stunning try. His angles of running means he gets behind defences and creates scoring chances for us. However for me it was Pyrgos who made the biggest difference for us. He brought control and began to impose our game plan on the game. Groom had a bit of a shocker and his kicking was poor. Pyrgos's kicking was spot on, he made sure we played in the right parts of the pitch and his decision making was spot on.

This leaves us in with a decent chance of getting to the place offs. It will be tough but its nice to think of the team we can put out against Kings - a back row of Barclay, Haining and Crosbie aint bad!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Croft_No.6 on Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:36 am

DSC_0052x.jpg
The Mata Offload
DSC_0052x.jpg (60.11 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
Croft_No.6
International

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:55 am

What a photo, awesome!
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:20 pm

Croft_No.6 wrote:
DSC_0052x.jpg

what makes that pass even more remarkable, as can be seen from that excellent photo, is that Mata has had all his fingers on the passing hand chopped off at the first joint.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:23 pm

good win, score flatters a bit but good to see Edinburgh actually running back turnover ball so effectively. It is what good teams do. Even if Cockerill was screaming to kick the last turnover away (according to himself)
joe soap
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum