Edinburgh Vs Kings

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Vs Kings

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:17 pm

Not much to add on that game. Correct decision, but a red card so early in a game does somewhat spoil it as a contest. Until that point the Kings had played well, and looked the better team. They were quicker and more aggressive in the contact area than us, and we looked a bit lethargic. It was shaping up to be a real test for us, but we'll never know whether they could have kept it going for 80 minutes. One conclusion we can draw, I think, is that unless we take our A game to South Africa we are likely to suffer another dispiriting defeat at their hands.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:39 am

I would until recently have agreed, but now I feel the squad has a belief they can win, maybe win ugly but they will keep driving on, every point however fortunate deepens this feeling and so we will progress, the dna has altered and now we are winners, it now needs to spread pitchside and the backing swell, and we will all believe and great things will happen, it is within Edinburgh rugby and will be so.

So speaks the great liquid Guinness.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:17 am

biffer wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:I don’t think she had a choice in any of the 3 removals, the laws are clear.

I was a wee bit disappointed in her to be honest, she got most of not all of the big decisions right, but didn’t seem confident and took a long time over making decisions, particularly the uncontested scrums, she should have been more aware of that. Would have liked to have heard the conversations but it didn’t look like the tmo or the other officials were helping much, suppose that is here Owens has it right in that if he wants help he will ask.

Having said that it makes a change from Clancy who is always sure and decisive but usually wrong!

There was a lot of gamesmanship too by the Kings, slowing the game down, niggl8ng and the stupid pen given against Scott when the 9 threw the ball at him, she needs to be harder on that sort if stuff. It’s the first time I had seen her and maybe I’m exoecting too much, she was better than the average in the league that’s for sure.

As for Edinburgh, we made that look very difficult. Lacked a lot of intensity form last week. Nel and Bhatti in particular looked ineffective. Nel doesn’t look fit which is a concern. Barclay played ok but looked like a blindside filling in. Pyrgos was poor I thought, took the wrong option too many times, it’s easy for a scrum half to look good coming on vs 12 men, but Shiel why’d have been on much earlier,

It wasn’t her taking the time at the scrums, it was the saffers. They consistently tried to get away with putting seven into the uncontested scrums and didn’t stop until she threatened to yellow card their captain.

The Saffer coaches took a bit of persuading that they had to go down to 13 when they took off their sub tighthead as well.

I thought that the reffing was generally fine, and by Pro 14 standards quite good. The only issue I had was the two penalties we conceded for 'not rolling away' when the tackler was being held in and the ball was available. However, we had a man advantage for almost the entire game and refs tend to equalise things a bit in those situations.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum