Agen Saturday 18 January

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Agen Saturday 18 January

Postby disco on Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:56 pm

Tichtheid wrote:The thing about not playing Shiel now is that in a couple of months, a rolled ankle and tweaked hamstring and Shiel has to start our quarter final play off, or the game that will get us to a quarter final play and secure Big Cup rugby next year, and he'll be doing so with only a handful of minutes game time.

This is incredibly short-sited of Cockers, imo. I've been wholly behind him so far, but we need to get Shiel up to speed, he could well be knocking at the door for Scotland selection in future if he gets a run

How did Shiel go against Agen away? Since making his first Edinburgh start in that game he's gone:

unused sub
unused sub
not selected
unused sub
not selected
not selected
21 mins off the bench (v Kings)
22 mins off the bench (v Bordeaux)
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:22 pm

I don’t really remember to be honest, disco, I do recall him being overly harsh on himself when the odd box kick isn’t pinpoint accurate, but he brings so much more pace to Edinburgh’s attack I can forgive the odd mistake in that department.

He also has a great pass off both hands, I honestly think he will be a genuine challenge to George Horne for the Scotland jersey in a year or two, if he gets the time on the park for Edinburgh.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:29 pm

What makes it more annoying is that he's unlikely to see any other rugby in the next four weeks-not like the days when he'd at least play for the2nd XV-although I suppose he might pick up an outing at Super Six level? He really needs to get some gametime under his belt particularly as he didn't get much last season. Its not as if he's a raw recruit of 19 or 20.He's what 22 now(?) so needs to be given more chances>or he'd be best to move away to get some actual rugby.Ridiculous that he's nor t at least on the bench today.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:20 pm

Not just Shiel:

Sutherland, Bhatti, Dell, McCallum, Hunter-hill, Ritchie & Bradbury (last year late in season where it was evident Barclay had lost it and Mata was exhausted), George Taylor.

All good players all not played at all or enough by Cockers. It's infuriating. Last year it really cost us and it looks like it hasn't changed.

Bad management.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:54 pm

So if Toulon win against Bayonne then Edinburgh will play at Bordeaux in the quarter-finals.

If Toulon fail to pick up any points at all Edinburgh will travel to Leicester.

Any other result and Edinburgh will be away to Toulon.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:55 pm

Mentally switched off is about the right description for that I'd say. Got the BP but the way we were playing made it look like we were still in preseason having a laugh. So many unnecessary passes and loose protection of the ball, but at least we got the BP and we're through.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:19 pm

gowrie wrote:Mentally switched off is about the right description for that I'd say. Got the BP but the way we were playing made it look like we were still in preseason having a laugh. So many unnecessary passes and loose protection of the ball, but at least we got the BP and we're through.

Yeah poor performance despite the result.

Thought Taylor was very good as was cherry. Graham brilliant and the tries were very nice but outside that mentally we did not look at the races.

Wonder if cockerill picked that team as a mentality test.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:30 pm

disco wrote:So if Toulon win against Bayonne then Edinburgh will play at Bordeaux in the quarter-finals.

If Toulon fail to pick up any points at all Edinburgh will travel to Leicester.

Any other result and Edinburgh will be away to Toulon.

Beat Bordeaux away then Bristol in England - dream final against Leicester for the Cockers bowl?
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:04 pm

A truly long match with 5 highlights, seemed at the start everybody wanted to score the first try as a solo effort, poor attendance it seemed?
Tannoy system has been overloud and a bit garbled up till now, today it was just noise standing at the pitch ends, been as well off.
So now we await all the results in to find out our next destination.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:21 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:A truly long match with 5 highlights, seemed at the start everybody wanted to score the first try as a solo effort, poor attendance it seemed?
Tannoy system has been overloud and a bit garbled up till now, today it was just noise standing at the pitch ends, been as well off.
So now we await all the results in to find out our next destination.

Seeing attendance as 5700 but were ST gaps
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:07 pm

Agen brought a reasonably well-drilled and disciplined defence, but that was about all. The result was never in doubt, it was only about how long it took for us to break their line.

Darcy had some game, his opposite number will be seeing him in his nightmares.
WP looked good, I felt he was unfairly penalised after monstering their scrum for the entirety of the first half. Crosbie carried abrasively, as is his want.

It wasn't a great performance, but we got what we wanted, now we have to be prepared to go Bordeaux (probably) and win. If we can do that we can go all the way.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:43 pm

The whole occasion felt pretty flat today, with performances to match, except for Darcy who's finishing was exceptional. The starting Agen XV were very poor, yet we never really got on top of them. Their subs improved them a bit, but the game was well over by then. One of our poorer performances this season, but in fairness we did get the job done. If we draw Bordeaux away again, as looks likely, we will be exiting this competition at the quarter final stage, as I can't see us beating them over there.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:45 pm

I don’t think all is lost with another trip to France, our line out was diabolical so if repaired that will be a plus and give us a better chance of turning them over?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:07 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:I don’t think all is lost with another trip to France, our line out was diabolical so if repaired that will be a plus and give us a better chance of turning them over?

I suppose the happy clappy view is job done, Lineout was SteveWalsh last week, need Gilco and big Ben, this week another excuse.
that win was always there for the taking against the poorest least interested team in France. Cockerill put out a very strong team, and learned zilch - unless of course we count leaning that first picks in the main did not step up again for bread and butter stuff. Mental failing, again.

Of course put out a few more players dying for a chance to prove a point either gives same outcome or we learn they ain't up to scratch. In a meaningless competition.
Instead Cockerill risked injuries and missed opportunity, He might be a very good forwards coach, Maybe be even a head coach. But he lacks a wider vision is a SteveWalsh Director of Rugby- and for Edinburgh he is both
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:32 pm

joe soap wrote:
Pitfitter446 wrote:I don’t think all is lost with another trip to France, our line out was diabolical so if repaired that will be a plus and give us a better chance of turning them over?

I suppose the happy clappy view is job done, Lineout was SteveWalsh last week, need Gilco and big Ben, this week another excuse.
that win was always there for the taking against the poorest least interested team in France. Cockerill put out a very strong team, and learned zilch - unless of course we count leaning that first picks in the main did not step up again for bread and butter stuff. Mental failing, again.

Of course put out a few more players dying for a chance to prove a point either gives same outcome or we learn they ain't up to scratch. In a meaningless competition.
Instead Cockerill risked injuries and missed opportunity, He might be a very good forwards coach, Maybe be even a head coach. But he lacks a wider vision is a SteveWalsh Director of Rugby- and for Edinburgh he is both

I don't think you can call comfortably getting the job done a mental failing. It was just boring.

I think he has a vision, he turned the club around and continues that process slowly. The club is clearly a hard nosed proposition. He's playing a more expansive rugby. It really is very disappointing that he isn't giving young players enough of a shot. I really think Shiel and a few others could've injected some energy and enthusiasm into that performance.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum