Scarlets v Edinburgh. Sat 15th 3pm ko

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Scarlets v Edinburgh. Sat 15th 3pm ko

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:47 pm

That was a tough watch, good defensive effort, four points in the bag.

Onwards.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Good stuff, I did not have to watch which sounds a bit of good fortune, but to do the double over a conference rival is a great result.

Couple of massive home games coming up now.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:59 pm

Best thought is this is a match Scottish teams would have always lost in the last 10 mins so well done for holding out.Thank goodness for VDM's power otherwise we never looked like scoring.
And we'll have a much weaker team next week with quite a few travelling to Italy (even just as cover) PLUS Mackezie could be out for some time with his shoulder and also possibly Cherry who went off.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:03 pm

Ground it out, but seemed to lose the plot a bit second half. Great defence with a bit of leniency from the dreadful Murphy at scrum time late on. Sau is a real worry under a high ball, even allowing for conditions.
Sean Holley - what an airse.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:09 pm

Say was an absolute bombscare tonight! We got a couple of very shady decisions in our favour in the last 10, if I was a Scarlets fan I'd be raging. But I'm not so happy days! Exactly the sort if game we've lost over the years. Great result if not performance.
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:22 pm

poor conditions but not for the first time Willemse's throwing hopeless, and another stupid pen. He is a liability.

Did someone say Hickey had a better kicking game?

Top defence all day from everyone, top marks for that. Thought HP was very good, composed and ran the show on the back foot pretty well, no surprise he played the full 80. Carmichael and Crosby both excellent.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:48 pm

Hard work from all in spite of a few poor performances, but, I’ll take the 4 points, now two hard home games to win.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:46 pm

Very good win under the circumstances.

Sau is a Fijian 7s player. It's safe to say he's never even come close to imagining the conditions he'd be playing in today. Not his match.

Hoyland was great. VdM exceptional, Scott should be starting in Rome.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:26 pm

Lucky to win, their lack of capability exceeded our ineptness! Thank AlainRolland we have Pyrgos in the team as neither of our 10s could control that game. Not a lot to shout about so suggest we just take the points and move on to the next game?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:13 am

Yep didn’t play well but the conditions were bad. For years we could not buy an away win. We got two chances and took them. Richard Cockerill nailed it “it was a day to get your head down and get on with it and see where you end up”. Well done the squad and the coaching team. Hopefully we won’t see the March fade and that to me will show real progress under Mr Cockerill.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:46 am

That was a game we would have lost last season, but strangely enough we would have won it during Cockers’ first year in charge.
To reply to Oldsalt, I think only Schoey has played what might be considered a lot/too much in the pack. Rory Sutherland being fit again is huge for the team - and we must be keeping Charlie Shiel fresh for the run in :roll:

I guess we’ll hear about Fraz in due course, but Carmichael had a good day pilfering Scarlets lineout ball, albeit in dreadful weather
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:09 pm

26 kicks by Henry Pyrgos for Edinburgh against Scarlets is the most by any player in a PRO14 match across the last 3 seasons.

Next highest:
- by a scrum half: Rhodri Williams (20, Dra v Mun 2018/19);
- by any player: Jack Carty (23, Con @ Osp 2018/19).

Just 4 tackles missed by Edinburgh against Scarlets is one of the lowest tallies by any side in the PRO14 across the last 3 seasons.

Missed tackles.PNG
Missed tackles.PNG (17.25 KiB) Viewed 8791 times
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:05 pm

Tichtheid wrote:That was a game we would have lost last season, but strangely enough we would have won it during Cockers’ first year in charge.
To reply to Oldsalt, I think only Schoey has played what might be considered a lot/too much in the pack. Rory Sutherland being fit again is huge for the team - and we must be keeping Charlie Shiel fresh for the run in :roll:

I guess we’ll hear about Fraz in due course, but Carmichael had a good day pilfering Scarlets lineout ball, albeit in dreadful weather

I can see why Shiel wasn't played Vs Scarlets. The tactics and conditions don't suit an up the pace scrum half. I think it's important in the better weather he gets time to speed games up. Unfortunately he doesn't really fit what Cockers is looking to do.

Sutherland has been sensational. Can't believe Cockers still plays Schoeman 75 minutes per game. Even Bhatti is useful despite a poor start here.

Frustrating management at times. See also Sau playing in a deluge. Not his match at all.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:01 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:That was a game we would have lost last season, but strangely enough we would have won it during Cockers’ first year in charge.

I can see why Shiel wasn't played Vs Scarlets. The tactics and conditions don't suit an up the pace scrum half. I think it's important in the better weather he gets time to speed games up. Unfortunately he doesn't really fit what Cockers is looking to do.

Sutherland has been sensational. Can't believe Cockers still plays Schoeman 75 minutes per game. Even Bhatti is useful despite a poor start here.

Frustrating management at times. See also Sau playing in a deluge. Not his match at all.

Schoeman replaced Bhatti today after 44 minutes. (For posterity: Cardiff Blues at BTM.)
Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum