Edinburgh Vs Connacht Friday 21st

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Vs Connacht Friday 21st

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:14 pm

Tichtheid wrote:There's nothing in the laws about being in control of the ball in the act of scoring, only "pressing down on the ball" - hence you can score with your torso from waist to neck or with your arms.

It really annoys me when commentators mention "control" as it's not in the laws, likewise you can push the ball against the bottom of the post/pad and it's a score.

Scott never lost the ball forward, the Connacht player grabbed his right hand away from it and it went backwards and down his right arm before being grounded by Scott's left hand.

Ahh okay my bad thanks TH.

Damn commantators!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:07 pm

I was behind those posts on Friday night and couldn’t understand why there’s was discussing it so much with the assistants and TMO, it wasn’t till he gave the Penalty try and yellow card did I realise it wasn’t the grounding he was looking at, I saw the ball move from one hand to the other and it looked good to me, now I know better.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:50 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Further to the scrum penalty try, McCallum, Fenton and Winning were rightfully ecstatic, Fenton is the oldest of that trio and he’s only 24, McCallum 23 and my guess is that Winning is at least a year younger than that.

Not just the front row, at the time we also had Hodgson (21) and Carmichael (24) in second row and Crosbie (22) in back row (Barclay and Haining take the average up a little)

Good point - sub in Ritchie (23) and Bradbury (24) and that is a very young pack

Our back row options are ridiculously good this season, it has to be said.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:25 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Not just the front row, at the time we also had Hodgson (21) and Carmichael (24) in second row and Crosbie (22) in back row (Barclay and Haining take the average up a little)

Good point - sub in Ritchie (23) and Bradbury (24) and that is a very young pack

Our back row options are ridiculously good this season, it has to be said.

It is fantastic that we can practically tailor our back-rows to best combat our opponents.

True, Hamish and Bill are always going to start the big games, but that leaves blindside open to whoever we think will best complement our game-plan, or the conditions. Ritchie-Mata-Watson is the best back-row we could turn out – I love Ritchie and Watson's incredible partnership in internationals – but we could also opt for Bradbury or Haining on the blindside if we wanted increased physicality. One of the aforementioned won't even make the bench, where we could also have Crosbie for his abrasion or Barclay if we wanted an old seadog experienced in the black magic of the breakdown. Watson's not old yet, and Ritchie, Bradbury and Crosbie are nowhere near being so. The future's bright, the future's (burnt) orange...
Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:13 pm

For me Bill and Ritchie are the two nailed on starters and Mish will need to fight it out with the others. Ridiculously luxurious position to be in!
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:19 pm

The Nudger wrote:For me Bill and Ritchie are the two nailed on starters and Mish will need to fight it out with the others. Ridiculously luxurious position to be in!

I'm less sure. Ultimately, Ritchie is increasingly well-suited to that blindside role. As incredible as the two are for both Edinburgh and Scotland, I think Watson is probably edging it on form at the moment.

That could well change, though. Luke Crosbie and Magnus Bradbury will definitely have a say in things as well going forward..
Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum