All Time Embra XV

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: All Time Embra XV

Postby The Incredible Shug on Sun May 03, 2020 1:09 pm

joe soap wrote:It sometimes an idea to put players into context of the overall team, its ethos, and the coaching team. That apart, Reid was a proper player, Francis went to a RWC. That's far from the worst Edin team ever, and it has a distinctly unpleasant flavour to it.

Hey Joe...tell me what was different when doedin did it? :roll:

When I do it it's "unpleasant", when they do it it's "amusing".
Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun May 03, 2020 5:30 pm

The Incredible Shug wrote:
joe soap wrote:It sometimes an idea to put players into context of the overall team, its ethos, and the coaching team. That apart, Reid was a proper player, Francis went to a RWC. That's far from the worst Edin team ever, and it has a distinctly unpleasant flavour to it.

perhaps because one poster putting up a nSQ team is amusing. A second trying to be smart and jump on the back of that less so, and when that second adds in a very good player who went to a RWC (and would have multiple caps if Scottish and playing for today's Edin team, or even Glasgow's back then instead of Edinburgh's), an excellent player in Reid (who made a living playing in France) and a hero of an excellent win over England in 2000 who was then shabbily treated by the SRU after serious injury suggests that second poster is trying to be a bit too smart for their own good and knows little about any of those players.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Sun May 03, 2020 6:27 pm

joe soap wrote:

perhaps because one poster putting up a nSQ team is amusing. A second trying to be smart and jump on the back of that less so, and when that second adds in a very good player who went to a RWC (and would have multiple caps if Scottish and playing for today's Edin team, or even Glasgow's back then instead of Edinburgh's), an excellent player in Reid (who made a living playing in France) and a hero of an excellent win over England in 2000 who was then shabbily treated by the SRU after serious injury suggests that second poster is trying to be a bit too smart for their own good and knows little about any of those players.

Well, cheers for the tirade nevertheless, it was entertaining reading :lol:
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Mon May 04, 2020 12:21 pm

I think we should all bow to Joe Soap's wisdom when it comes to unpleasant posts, he is the expert after all.
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon May 04, 2020 2:33 pm

joe soap wrote:
The Incredible Shug wrote:Jokes lads, this is the real XV

Yapp
Hilterbrand
Gilding
Metcalfe
Parker
Blake
Nayalo
Reid
Rees
Francis
Katoa
Strauss
Atiga
Scholes
Penn

It sometimes an idea to put players into context of the overall team, its ethos, and the coaching team. That apart, Reid was a proper player, Francis went to a RWC. That's far from the worst Edin team ever, and it has a distinctly unpleasant flavour to it.

Can we clarify which Reid we are talking about here?

I know some don't like players being singled out, they are undoubtedly trying their best and have a short career, but they do get judged on performance and I don't think it is wrong to comment on it. In terms of Francis, I think he would be the first to say he was very poor at Edinburgh, there were mitigating circumstances but he wasn't great. I was really surprised, still am, that he made the England squad.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Tue May 05, 2020 9:16 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Can we clarify which Reid we are talking about here?

I know some don't like players being singled out, they are undoubtedly trying their best and have a short career, but they do get judged on performance and I don't think it is wrong to comment on it. In terms of Francis, I think he would be the first to say he was very poor at Edinburgh, there were mitigating circumstances but he wasn't great. I was really surprised, still am, that he made the England squad.

Roland, not Stuart. AFAIK Roland Reid did play at 8 sometimes.

Honestly I think it's mostly a failure of coaching than anything else. Plus the effect that the switch to professionalism had on the player pool.
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue May 05, 2020 10:44 am

joe soap wrote:

Wooaa! Dont drag me in to this! I thought my alternative XV reflected exactly my thoughts and views of the dark ages we had to endure. When you look back at some of the squads we had is it any wonder I was a bit grumpy? I'm better now thanks to a grumpy Cockers!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue May 05, 2020 9:04 pm

"bit grumpy"!

you have made an art form of being a curmudgeon!

(only kidding, love you really xxx)
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed May 06, 2020 12:17 am

The thing I'm grumpy about is the selection of the props on the main website. Don't get me wrong, I'm as mucha fan of Chunk as the next supporter and WP is a club legend, and maybe that's the thing. The Inter-district competition was something that happened around Christmas time, when the league was in a break and the 6N hadn't started yet, it was an honour to play for the sides, sure, it was the next step from the clubs, but the clubs were still the main driving force.

Start Iain Milne and David Sole off at teen level and get them following professional Strength & Conditioning programmes and you'll have the best props in the game, as they were in their time.

Milne was almost single-handedly responsible for our entire game plan - we could play five backrowers in the back five of the scrum due to Milne being so strong in the tight.

Sole is quite possibly the most natural sports-person I've ever seen, and a monster scrummager, the much vaunted Jeff Probyn whined in the press about Sole hurting him in the scrum
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed May 06, 2020 6:19 am

Agree with that. Just to continue the grumpy theme I think the options were rushed and lacked a bit of balance. Of course more recent players will do well but it was an opportunity to highlight the depth of talent Edinburgh has had over the years. Alternative would be to state a start date.

Before my time, but where would the likes of Mcglaughlan and Carmichael sit with Milne and Sole? Obviously going outwith Edinburgh here.

The likes of Sole and Deans really reinvented their positions and what was expected, they effectively started the trend of converting backrow players to front row as they both played like an extra flanker in the loose. Tom Smith took it to another level again, then Dicko being the best recent example, all of which were thought of as small for their position at the time.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Wed May 13, 2020 7:21 pm

The team:

1 • Chunk
2 • Ross Ford
3 • Willem Nel
4 • Nathan Hines
5 • Grant Gilchrist
6 • Todd Blackadder
7 • Hamish Watson
8 • Simon Taylor
9 • Mike Blair
10 • Chris Paterson
11 • Tim Visser
12 • Brendan Laney
13 • Scott Hastings
14 • Andy Irvine
15 • Gavin Hastings

Honourable mentions:
• Stuart McInally
• Kenny Milne
• Pierre Schoeman
• David Sole
• Alasdair Dickinson
• Iain 'The Bear' Milne
• Scott Murray
• Ben Toolis
• Greig Laidlaw
• Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
• Jaco van der Walt
• Matt Scott
• Sean Lineen
• Marcus di Rollo
• Simon Webster
• Duhan van der Merwe
• Bruce Hay
• Blair Kinghorn
Last edited by The Incredible Shug on Wed May 20, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue May 19, 2020 1:48 pm

11. Viss
14. Andy Irvine.
15. Big Gav.

It's difficult to argue with two B&I Lions who are two of Scotland's greatest back three players and our all time top scorer.

What I find encouraging is that in Darcy Graham, Blair Kinghorn and Big Duhan we have players who could genuinely be pushing those club legends, and they are all here at the same time.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum