Edinburgh squad 2020-21

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh squad 2020-21

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:08 pm

Our new centres story

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/the-unim ... ssion=true

Hell of a lot to go through and only 17.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:56 am

Thats a cracking article and I hope the young lad becomes a stand out centre for us and Scotland. If he doesn't it wont be through lack of effort. Good luck to him!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:22 pm

Incredible story.

6 foot 2 and 97kg at 17...I can certainly see why the SRU leapt at the chance to get him on board as he's clearly got a prodigious work rate and level of determination to go with the frankly PaulHoniss physical gifts.

Hopefully he pushes on Scotland born talent to break through alongside him and to greater heights rather than taking someone's place.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:41 am

Barclay confirmed as leaving.

Hickey and Scott still tbc

https://www.theoffsideline.com/john-bar ... edinburgh/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:09 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Barclay confirmed as leaving.

Hickey and Scott still tbc

https://www.theoffsideline.com/john-bar ... edinburgh/

I really hope we hang on to Matt Scott.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:57 pm

I agree, good though Taylor is Scott is the one player we look markedly weakened without.

Im not convinced him going is a done deal. Particulalry if he hasn't signed elsewhere then whatever offer he had could be under review.

What is interesting and wont have helped has been his non selection for Scotland. I disagree with GT on his place in the pecking order, but if he isn't felt as important to Scotland and is costing a few quid it wont have helped.

Interesting that Leicester offered reduced terms for Jonny May on his renewal and he is back to Gloucester on less than he was on. Similarly Hadleigh Parkes was given a greatly reduced offer from Scarlets/WRU.

The world is changing and I feel for any player who doesn't have a signed contract for next season.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:17 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:
What is interesting and wont have helped has been his non selection for Scotland. I disagree with GT on his place in the pecking order, but if he isn't felt as important to Scotland and is costing a few quid it wont have helped.

I wonder if under different circumstances Scott would have played alongside Finn?

It kind of made sense to keep the club trio of 9, 10 and 12 playing together when the flyhalf is relatively inexperienced.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:03 pm

Recognise that budgets are tight, however I really hope Matt Scott stays. He and Bennett are another level compared to the (perfectly good) alternatives. Scott has scored a number of important tries, should have had a couple more but for desperate and illegal defending, and has carved up a number of clean breaks off great running lines. No one else in the squad cuts a line the way he does - he completely turned the Glasgow home game this season. Defence is strong too, although misses a lot of games through injury over a long period now. In fact his cost per game may be the big issue.

Jono Lance will be backup to Jaco, assuming no deal done with Hickey. Agree will probably be on less money, and with Barclay leaving maybe we have just enough for Scott (although the rest of our back row must be getting more and more expensive as a result of their rapid growth).
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:09 pm

Mark Palmer reporting that Jono Lance and Nathan Chamberlain (Sco U20s and Bristol) are both under consideration for bolstering options at 10 for Edinburgh. Chamberlain scored a hattrick and kicked a load of points as Scotland thrashed Wales U20 just before lockdown. Would be a great call.

If both come in would think Jason Baggott would be heading for the exit sooner or later.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:32 pm

New Gunner wrote:Mark Palmer reporting that Jono Lance and Nathan Chamberlain (Sco U20s and Bristol) are both under consideration for bolstering options at 10 for Edinburgh. Chamberlain scored a hattrick and kicked a load of points as Scotland thrashed Wales U20 just before lockdown. Would be a great call.

If both come in would think Jason Baggott would be heading for the exit sooner or later.

I must have mis-read, I thought the Jono Lance deal was already done?

I'd love it if Chamberlain were to come to Edinburgh, he looked very good in the U20s
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:32 pm

Bit more detail and few other names in the TOL article

https://www.theoffsideline.com/richard- ... cba1185463
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:16 am

I was hoping they'd look at Chamberlain.definitely one to develop for the future.
And fingers crossed we can keep Matt Scott. Nothing in Cockerill's comments on TOL to endorse the rumours Maitland and Duncan Taylor are coming to Edinburgh rather than Glasgow so hopefully that's just agent talk.Scott has more left in the career tank than Taylor now though both have had a lot of injury problems (Scott's mainly concussive).
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:15 am

With Hickey and Baggott likely leaving we do need 2 players in. Lance will be useful as backup for Kinghirn too, so all makes sense.

We still need Scott over any of the others though.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:38 am

Just to add...

I cant see Maitland or Taylor coming to Edinburgh, we have good cover and they will not be cheap. Perhaps Duncan Taylor could replace Scott if he were to leave, but If they were the same £ for £ then I would go for Scott. Taylor is a fantastic player, but I just think Scott makes us tick.

Maitland to Glasgow makes a lot of sense. Not sure about Taylor, but if Jones is moving on then it could make sense. It would add some serious firepower to their back line.

Generally I think we are in good shape for next year. A lot of talk about second row, but if we can keep Mckenzie, Carmichael, Toolis and Gilcho fit then we have some pretty good options.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:54 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:With Hickey and Baggott likely leaving we do need 2 players in. Lance will be useful as backup for Kinghirn too, so all makes sense.

We still need Scott over any of the others though.

Do we need a replacement for Baggott? He never plays!

Chamberlain is key - we don't have enough quality 10s in Scotland coming through to gamble on Bristol giving him gametime. We need to get these guys up here and get them playing.

Scott is an odd one - I hope he has something sorted though as it's been mentioned players lost in the shuffle as every union and club is penny pinching is going to be hugely stressful. Can't see why he wouldn't stay and why we wouldn't be able to afford that.

Also I doubt we'll see Maitland Glasgow are desperate for a fullback. And Taylor 3 years ago was the Scottish rugby player I rated most highly but the injuries really have ruined him. Looks like he's running in glue these days.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum