Will There Be A 2020-21 Season?

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Will There Be A 2020-21 Season?

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri May 01, 2020 10:57 pm

It's always interesting to see the comings and goings as the squad shapes up for the next season, but this time round I do wonder whether there will be a next season or not. Quite how you ensure any kind of social distancing on a rugby field is beyond me, rugby must be one of the most contact-heavy sports of all. There can't realistically be any way the current season can be completed, and I'm finding it hard to see how next season gets underway at the moment. Ok, Murrayfield must be one of the easiest stadiums for us home fans to socially isolate in, but not the players. And when you add in the complexities of international travel involved in the Pro14, I struggle to see how it's going to happen this year.

These are very difficult times for the sport at professional level, and whilst those involved like Cockers are talking confidently about our squad for next season (and what else could he do?), there must be a fair chance there isn't going to be a next season.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Re: Will There Be A 2020-21 Season?

Postby Tichtheid on Fri May 01, 2020 11:20 pm

It's possible to isolate entire squads and coaches. They could be kept in isolation and flown on chartered flights across borders into isolation where necessary for our league.

It would take a huge commitment from the players who would be asked to leave family for a long time, but it could be done.

The question is, would you ask that of your players to be able to watch a game of rugby?

I would if the alternative is the club or sport goes under and these guys all lose their livelihoods.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat May 02, 2020 1:09 pm

It’s going to be a long hard road out of this, could the fixture list be organised such that teams aren’t travelling to different countries week in and out? Play all the Welsh fixtures in one lump etc, if of course it’s deemed for them safe to play, virtual rugby might be more of a challenge to achieve than say motor racing so that’s a nono. A later start to the season might/will be required I think but if games were played in batches, would it be possible? At the moment we’re all just guessing and hoping for a solution, it’s all in the lap of the gods and we’ll have to wait it out and hope for the best.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon May 04, 2020 11:35 am

We could potentially move to a "super" rugby style league for one year. Single league all play each other once and matchday profits split between clubs.

Far from ideal but if it came to it then it may need to happen.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum