Edinburgh v Glasgow 28Aug ko 1935

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Glasgow 28Aug ko 1935

Postby robdinsdale on Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:37 am

The Feral Goat wrote:I am undecided on if it was too much. It was a nothing game so let them go for it, or without pyrgos or groom to help out sheil was our most experienced half back so minimise risk.

Ultimately I am not sure 9/10 selection cost us the match, more application across the board and a TonySpreadbury poor set piece particularly lineout.

We lost that one up front, Shiel and Chamberlain did all right with the ball they had.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:52 am

robdinsdale wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:I am undecided on if it was too much. It was a nothing game so let them go for it, or without pyrgos or groom to help out sheil was our most experienced half back so minimise risk.

Ultimately I am not sure 9/10 selection cost us the match, more application across the board and a TonySpreadbury poor set piece particularly lineout.

We lost that one up front, Shiel and Chamberlain did all right with the ball they had.

Agree - I thought Shiel was okay for having a pack that was second best and being under instruction not to pass it to 10 seemingly. Don't understand why Chamberlain was playing if those were the tactics. He actually did fine when he had the ball. Think Cockers need to consider if that's how he wants to introduce guys to the team. Poor management.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:26 am

I wouldn’t read too much into this.

The choice wasn’t to introduce Chamberlain, it was to protect VDW. What ball we got was slow and Glasgow’s defence was up quick, so not giving Chanberlain the ball was logical, VDW would t have seen it either.

The Glasgow tactic of holding up in the tackle we need to learn to sort out. The new law is a charter for pinning players in rucks.

I’m not too concerned about the scrum, we were massively underpowered in the second row so props always going to be under pressure. Maybe a bit of an experiment on how to get as many of our quality back rows on the pitch. Not one which worked though.

I dint think I saw Taylor with the ball, I had forgotten he was playing until he went off. It a criticism of him just the way the game went. I’d like to think we were keeping our powder dry and not giving away any of the awesome strike moves we have recently been perfecting!!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:34 am

Taylor? Don't think he was playing?
Perhaps poster meant Gordon.Don't recall him ever touching the ball in his 20 mins though.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:48 am

I’m not reading too much into, apart from the usefulness as a wake-up call and the function of getting some minutes on the pitch for Sheil, Chamberlain, Bradbury, Graham, JJ, among others.

One of my main takeaways, however, was that Glasgow absolutely got the best of the ref all evening. They had clearly adapted to the breakdown, compared to last week, and the evolution of the choke tackle was obvious. The ref called “tackle” late a number of times for me. Glasgow also seemed to get away with collapsing the scrum whenever they liked, whereas we were penalised constantly. Kebble and Fagerson’s antics were seemingly invisible to the ref and there was at least one pen clearly called the wrong way.

Having said that, it was one of Schooey’s poorest games for Edinburgh and I think we could see Suzz start next week.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:35 pm

I still don't like this rule where DVDM is only allowed to touch the ball two or three times per half.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:37 pm

The 5 second “use it” seems very vague, we were pinged but no worse than either of Glasgow’s 9s, if it was enforced right at the start of the game it might speed the ball up consistently but penalising randomly doesn’t work. Not a great game for the fans to enjoy but it may have given Cockers more answers than problems.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum