Cockers new deal

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Cockers new deal

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:05 pm

liveinhope wrote:No idea about any of these rumours but genuinely sorry for RC.He was a real breath of fresh air and comes across as a great individual and likeable chap who came through rugby the hard way.Always like the way he copmes across in the media.I wonder if this had anything to do with the pretty shocking performance against Racing where we just seemed to throw in thw towel in the 2nd half.Can't blame Cockerill,surely players have to look at themselves in the mirror after a display like that.
If he does go doubt we'll get anyone remotely as high profile again.

I would worry about the replacement. Think we've benefited in many ways from having a hard taskmaster and we might regress if it's a cozy internal SRU appointment.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:26 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Weegie wrote:Having now seen the tweet I know exactly to what it refers, and no, it is not good.

Sorry to be cryptic, but what I know came from a player and I was told not to repeat it, even though it looks like it is seeping out.

Anything to do with the reddit rumour (from a random) about a player getting sacked? That rumour and about who it was didn't seem to make any sense.

Not naming player in case it causes issues on the board.

All this in the background might actually make tonights Rainbow Cup v Zebre a bit more interesting to see what performance the team put in body language of all, interviews etc.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:37 pm

robdinsdale wrote:I would worry about the replacement. Think we've benefited in many ways from having a hard taskmaster and we might regress if it's a cozy internal SRU appointment.

Depends who it is. Which ever coach theoretically comes in would want to install their philosophies which might take a little time but might be beneficial in the long run.

Even if it was a national team assistant coach (Blair would seem the likeliest of that bunch) I don't think we'd see a regression in effort/attitude as the coach would have a direct line to Townsend.

Will be interesting to see what happens tonight.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:03 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
I would worry about the replacement. Think we've benefited in many ways from having a hard taskmaster and we might regress if it's a cozy internal SRU appointment.

:roll:

Yes, much better with an external candidate. A Bradley or a Solomons, ideal.

Best candidate can afford is all that matters. If there is substance to this.

He was a good appointment at the time, but Cockerill has taken Edin as far as he can. Been obvious for a while. I'm not buying the strong pack TBH, its gone backwards these last 2 seasons.

But as to the rest, I'll wait and see what does happen and until we get some real info on the whys and wherefores
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:24 pm

joe soap wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:

:?: :?: :?: :?:

We tried both of these & neither was particularly good...

Bradley's "success" was based on Andy Robinson's squad & the players stuck to AR's gameplan & Solomon's started well for a season & was found wanting thereafter...
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:29 pm

Cammo Gunner wrote:
joe soap wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:

:?: :?: :?: :?:

We tried both of these & neither was particularly good...

Bradley's "success" was based on Andy Robinson's squad & the players stuck to AR's gameplan & Solomon's started well for a season & was found wanting thereafter...

whoosh. I guess sarcasm doesn't do it for you.

Point being that being internal or external isn't good or bad in itself.

There were reasons why neither of those 2 went too well for all of their terms. The worry for me is that some of those reasons have raised their heads again, but I'll wait and see rather than speculate on something I have no knowledge of
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:49 pm

I only do sarcasm on a Monday... I can't be bothered the rest of the week. :D :D :D
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:03 pm

joe soap wrote:
There were reasons why neither of those 2 went too well for all of their terms. The worry for me is that some of those reasons have raised their heads again, but I'll wait and see rather than speculate on something I have no knowledge of

There can only be a dozen or so of the squad from that time left, and they will be the likes of Nel, Watson, Ritchie, Gilchrist etc, there won’t be too many backs.

Any issues won’t be old ones.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:41 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Weegie wrote:Having now seen the tweet I know exactly to what it refers, and no, it is not good.

Sorry to be cryptic, but what I know came from a player and I was told not to repeat it, even though it looks like it is seeping out.

Anything to do with the reddit rumour (from a random) about a player getting sacked? That rumour and about who it was didn't seem to make any sense.

Not naming player in case it causes issues on the board.

If you are talking about Kinghorn's driving which is in the public domain, not as far as I know.

I have now heard two different versions of events, both of which arrive in the same place. That being that some general concerns around the club's approach have been raised by players as well as some specifics.

The sensationalist version I heard first, and that ties into the mutiny theory, was that was that the players had called a private meeting from which everyone else was excluded to air grievances (think Matt Williams).

The second version was more prosaic. The senior players called a player's meeting to discuss what had gone wrong this season and how to fix it. These player meetings occur often so there was nothing untoward about the fact that the players had a meeting. The issues were raised at that meeting.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:13 pm

It would be worrying if the sort of meeting in your last paragraph wasn't happening.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:15 pm

Frenchy wrote:It would be worrying if the sort of meeting in your last paragraph wasn't happening.

Quite
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:22 pm

Frenchy wrote:It would be worrying if the sort of meeting in your last paragraph wasn't happening.

hardly the issue though

Someone has for some reason let a story out, presumably from that meeting. That is a problem, whether or not the story is.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:36 pm

joe soap wrote:

hardly the issue though

Someone has for some reason let a story out, presumably from that meeting. That is a problem, whether or not the story is.

Could just be a young player getting a bit excited.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby toocoldhere on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:45 pm

So far this is a bit of a non-story except for social media accounts inflating their engagements
toocoldhere
Established pro

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:29 pm

The obvious one who is upset is Bennet, he has been playing well but not being picked so may be a clash there. Groom and Kitchen other potentials obviously.

No coach can be popular all the time and players shouldn’t be happy if they aren’t playing. Hopefully it is being blown up a bit. Last night was encouraging and certainly didn’t look like a team who were revolting.

Or was last night team a show to the old guard who is in charge and no one is certain to be picked....
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum