Ulster Semi

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Ulster Semi

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:19 am

The Chiel wrote:Think it says everything about Greg Garner that he actually recognised there would be a perceived neutrality issue.

And he then just carried on putting all four officials under needless additional pressure, but cleverly phoned Cockers to set him up as his get out of jail free card.

Garner has to go.

Agreed.

And I reserve the right to still be bitter about it. My team lost its biggest match since 2012 - 2015 at a push - and I'm annoyed. And I WILL lash out at any target that I perceive to be justified, regardless of any good arguments to the contrary :o
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:47 am

You’ll never guess which ref we’ve got for the QF vs Bordeaux?!

https://www.epcrugby.com/2020/09/08/qua ... ointments/
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:47 pm

You couldn't make it up, might feel he has to right the wrongs from the last game in this one?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:51 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:You couldn't make it up, might feel he has to right the wrongs from the last game in this one?

Lol. He's going to referee this game to the best of his ability too. He had a pretty good game overall! Missed a few neck rolls and we all move on.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:12 am

My worry is that the obvious issues aren't easily fixable going into next season. They were there to see during last season and this.

1. Leadership and/or bottle is lacking.
2. The game plan is so narrow a lot of the time andin the big games in knock out matches it makes the team easier to defend. Which considering the team contains some of the leagues best attacking weapons is a real shame.

The fact those two points are still an issue is a real concern and the coaching staff and players need to sort it out.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:59 am

I agree they are the main points that need fixed, Im a bit more upbeat on how easy they are to fix.

With leadership, I think it is evident how reliant we have become on Pyrgos to manage the game. Groom is very good but he wasn't able to take the game by the scruff og the neck. Im a huge fan of Gilcho, but him throwing the ball around on our own line isn't smart rugby in that situation. We need to develop Jaco as a game manager more, also have him playing a little flatter, we look so deep that we are often caught behind the gain line. The lack of cool heads was an issue and we need more from Willemse, Gilchrist, Ritchie and Watson, they are experienced players, captains and should have been able to calm things down. We were still on top in the set piece, it just all got frenetic.

Our backs also don't look confident doing the basics. One of the key things Leinster do is very simple handling moves at pace and without mistakes, they are relentless and their core skills are immaculate. We still don't look to have that and it means when strike runners do come into the line they aren't at full tilt. That should be sortable.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:38 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Our backs also don't look confident doing the basics. One of the key things Leinster do is very simple handling moves at pace and without mistakes, they are relentless and their core skills are immaculate. We still don't look to have that and it means when strike runners do come into the line they aren't at full tilt. That should be sortable.

On the whole, I think our backs look confident doing the amazing, whether its beating multiple defenders or finding space where there seems to be none or being in just the right place for one of BBM's offloads. But there are many occasions when doing the basics well serves us so much better.

Don't get me wrong, we LOVE the spectacular, we LOVE seeing VDM barrelling down the line with only a few inches of space to work with, we LOVE Lord Darcy's acrobatics and dash. But sometimes a game can be one without those things.

For me, the game was there for the taking with Bennett's run down the right from our own line. Only IF that pass had gone to hand, the game was won. He had done the hard part - the line break from deep in our 22 - but didn't nail the basic part, i.e. passing to his own team-mate and clinching the try. Yes, Burns tracked the move well, but we made it easy for him.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:17 pm

RC and Big Duhan get a gong each, Coach of the Season and Player of the Season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54105155
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:48 pm

Tichtheid wrote:RC and Big Duhan get a gong each, Coach of the Season and Player of the Season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54105155

Hard to argue against Duhan season stats are really impressive even more so when the season has been short, numbers still big and comparable to a full season.

Cockerill has done well but after the semi (assume votes were after?) think McFarland prob gets the nod for me, made the changes at HT that ultimately turned the tide and has his team in the final.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum