Fixtures 20/21

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Fixtures 20/21

Postby TheSmidge on Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:15 pm

Opening 8 rounds have been confirmed:

Round 1: Edinburgh Rugby vs Ospreys, Saturday 3 October, kick-off 7.35pm
Round 2: Munster v Edinburgh Rugby, Saturday 10 October, kick-off 7.35pm
Round 3: Edinburgh Rugby v Connacht, Sunday 25 October, kick-off 7.35pm
Round 4: Scarlets v Edinburgh Rugby, Sunday 1 November, kick-off 6.45pm
Round 5: Edinburgh Rugby v Cardiff Blues, Monday 9 November, kick-off 8.15pm
Round 6: Leinster v Edinburgh Rugby, Monday 16 November, kick-off 8.15pm
Round 7: Dragons v Edinburgh Rugby, Monday 23 November, kick-off 6pm
Round 8: Edinburgh Rugby v Ulster, Monday 30 November, kick-off 8.15pm

Rounds 9–11 are the derbies.

Immediately jumps out that we are away to both Munster and Leinster.

Goodness knows how the league is going to be worked out from there, given the vagueness of the other PRO14 announcement this morning about the Saffers.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Re: Fixtures 20/21

Postby TheSmidge on Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:19 pm

PRO14 story about the Monday night games now says that conferences to remain the same:

"The Guinness PRO14 Conferences will remain the same as for the 2019/20 season in keeping with the two-year rotation of the tables. As alluded to earlier, discussions are under way with the South African Rugby Union to enter a team in place of the Southern Kings in 2021."

https://www.pro14.rugby/latest/news/pri ... ness-pro14
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:13 pm

I just copied out the fixtures and was about to post them here, then I find that I've been beaten to the breakdown.

Not for the first time, I suppose.

The thing that strikes me first is that we played Leinster away in the season just finished, we should have them at home this year.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Only 2 matches before the internationals start as well. Squad depth will be really tested.

VdW may be involved which leaves us really short at 10, mata with Fiji (maybe sau as well depending on their travelling contingent).
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:37 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I just copied out the fixtures and was about to post them here, then I find that I've been beaten to the breakdown.

The thing that strikes me first is that we played Leinster away in the season just finished, we should have them at home this year.

Yup, the Leinster fixture is a strange one. The only explanation is that they are goi to run the league without Saffers but can’t admit it yet for contractual reasons. That would also explain why, for the moment, they are maintaining the conferences.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby toocoldhere on Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:40 pm

TheSmidge wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:I just copied out the fixtures and was about to post them here, then I find that I've been beaten to the breakdown.

Yup, the Leinster fixture is a strange one. The only explanation is that they are goi to run the league without Saffers but can’t admit it yet for contractual reasons. That would also explain why, for the moment, they are maintaining the conferences.

They've already stated that there will be no SA participation in the coming season
toocoldhere
Established pro

Postby TheSmidge on Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:55 pm

toocoldhere wrote:
TheSmidge wrote:

They've already stated that there will be no SA participation in the coming season

No, that's not what has been said. They have stated that the SA clubs won't play in the 2020 calendar year, but that is not the same as saying they won't play in the 20-21 season. The statement earlier today said:

SA Rugby’s long-standing commitments are to field two teams in the Guinness PRO14 and in light of the withdrawal of the Southern Kings, discussions are on-going about fulfilling this agreement from 2021 using a replacement team from its current professional franchises.

In the article about Monday night games, it further confirms that:

As a result of travel restrictions to and from South Africa due to Covid-19 restrictions, the first 11 games of the upcoming Guinness PRO14 season will feature European-based teams only. Plans are in place for South African teams to resume playing in 2021, but they will not be able to play a full schedule.

With the pandemic conditions varying across each of our competing territories the full fixture list cannot be published at this point.

If the Saffers weren't playing in the coming season, there would be nothing to prevent them publishing a fixture list. Given they won't even know what clubs will be participating, then nothing can be finalised yet. I am certain, however, that Plan B is the 12 European clubs playing home-and-away with then play-offs between the top 4. They can't announce that unless and until SARU confirm that they will not be back until 21/22.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Croft_No.6 on Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:49 pm

Remaining Fixtures issued

12th Feb - Dragons (a)
20th Feb - Munster (h)
26th Feb - Scarlets (h)
7th Mar - Benneton (h)
13th Mar - Connacht (a)
22nd Mar - Cardiff (a)
(????) (??) - Glasgow (?)

Only a final not playoffs. HC qualification based on final position. Don't know if this a combined league position, conference position or what. Probably whatever best suits the Irish Teams!
Croft_No.6
International

Postby Fanscene on Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:14 pm

Have to admit, I didn't realise that because we play Glasgow twice we miss out on playing Benetton twice.

Admittedly it is in Italy the cancelled game, but considering they haven't won this season in Pro14, it is potential 4 point swing on preference to the other teams in our conference. If it was just league placings, fine, but with Champions Rugby at stake, it is disappointing. What I will be more annoyed at is if they fit in a 3rd Glasgow clash.
Fanscene
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:19 pm

Agree, the point of the derby games is to bring in a big crowd, if we aren't doing that what is the point? I doubt we get more tv money because of it. Unless there is something in the tv contract that these games must be played?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:04 pm

Maybe Ross Thomson really did know something when he took that aim at goal recently when the clock was in the red (as the three points would have given Glasgow a one point aggregate lead).arguably nothing in it for Edinburgh to play the fixture as we are ahead and as said above possibly no tv coverage or extra money for that?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum