Edinburgh v Ospreys - Sat 3 Oct KO 19:35

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Ospreys - Sat 3 Oct KO 19:35

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:48 am

Ayton1keith wrote:Utter Steve Walsh tonight, with only pass marks for Darcy, although it had to be said that the early injuries didn’t help. However, the total lack of leadership on the park, especially from the senior players in the group, was blindingly obvious. On this performance, don’t think we need to bother about losing too many to the national side.

I thought Hoyland did alright at fullback as well but collectively the pack were poor and the senior players among them should know what's required from them on a miserable wet night.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:43 am

Time and time again the "leaders" in the team don't show any leadership. These senior players are all on good money. If they are consistently going to be found wanting when the going gets tough then it is time for some to go and let the younger players try and develop.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:19 am

That was grim! Completely outplayed by an Ospreys team closer to a pension than their O grades! We were just plain awful - gameplan, basic skills, decision making, aggression - all awful. Did Bennet actually touch the ball once during the game? Most worrying is the mental balance of the team, we looked beaten once they scored their first try. We were watching at home and could tell what we were going to do before we did it - catch restart (hopefully), pass inside and set up ruck, pass once more and set up ruck then box kick and chase (sometimes). The definition of madness is to keep doing the same things and expect a different result. The Os knew our gameplan before the game started and were set up to negate it and they did so easily. It was really too easy for them and they must have been delighted to watch us to keep the same gameplan for 80 mins. No one including the coaching team, apart from Graham and Hoyland, came away with pass marks.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:40 am

With conditions as they were on Saturday, it was always going to be an occasion where both teams go to the box kick most of the time, waiting for the other side to make an error. And we did, in spades, but they didn't.

As others have said, it is the complete lack of leadership when the heads go down that is stark and critically important for turning around our season. If this was a normal season, we would probably just get on with it and try and turn it around in the next match. But the issue is that this has been apparent since the Ulster game and nothing has changed.

The worst offender appears to be Gilchrist, who doesn't look fit, doesn't do much, and gives away far too many silly penalties. There was simply no need to do what he did on Saturday.

I say appears because we don't really know what is said in the huddle, and can only base our judgment on what we see on the field of play.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:45 am

While I'm here, there was two occasions when the referee really annoyed me on Saturday:

1. When Tipuric came on after his 10 minutes in the bin and took his place in the scrum after the first attempt had been reset. We were still down to 14 with Gilchrist not back on. And they predictably won a scrum penalty, which I think was one that Myler knocked between the sticks. Surely he cannot rejoin play after the scrum has first set, even if it needs reset? The advantage is clear, as we basically don't get a chance to rejig and bring a back into the back row.

2. In the second half, there was a scrum in their half and we drove well, clearly forcing their loosehead (I think) to stand up. It was probably Nel's first scrum since coming on. Clear penalty, but the ref allowed Ospreys just to play on. A couple of minutes later, the exact same thing happened the other way around: penalty to Ospreys.

I know that neither of these probably changed the result, but they really just annoyed me. Did I miss something that would explain either?
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:22 pm

TheSmidge wrote:While I'm here, there was two occasions when the referee really annoyed me on Saturday:

1. When Tipuric came on after his 10 minutes in the bin and took his place in the scrum after the first attempt had been reset. We were still down to 14 with Gilchrist not back on. And they predictably won a scrum penalty, which I think was one that Myler knocked between the sticks. Surely he cannot rejoin play after the scrum has first set, even if it needs reset? The advantage is clear, as we basically don't get a chance to rejig and bring a back into the back row.

2. In the second half, there was a scrum in their half and we drove well, clearly forcing their loosehead (I think) to stand up. It was probably Nel's first scrum since coming on. Clear penalty, but the ref allowed Ospreys just to play on. A couple of minutes later, the exact same thing happened the other way around: penalty to Ospreys.

I know that neither of these probably changed the result, but they really just annoyed me. Did I miss something that would explain either?

You didn't miss anything, I reacted the same way to both.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum