Embra vs Connacht Sun 25/10

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Embra vs Connacht Sun 25/10

Postby Fanscene on Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:44 pm

I’ll be honest, didn’t think we were that bad. I think you could tell that The difference was the team that had more time together was the most coherent and had a range of moves.

We were outdone by some very smart quick thinking and kicking, which they obviously had noticed beforehand. I think on another day the kicks would have gone elsewhere, and we may have scraped it.

Our try that was called back!! That happens in almost every game and never penalised!

I dont like looming at the ref, but I felt that there was some crucial decisions missed. Apart from the Nel penalty, which was a great steal, I thought he reffed us by the law,......However,,

I thought they got away with lots. Offside, always at least a yard off, what was the linesman looking at as he called us a few times. we were penalised (correctly) for flopping, while they frequently sealed the ball and prevented a fair challenge.

We got done for not rolling away. I saw at least three times, the Connacht player being told to move! we were penalised straight away! Mmmmm

Then in the build up to our BP try, there were was a one handed attempt to intercept! Knocked on not even considered! That was a YC, but we played on for at least 2 minutes!

And finally, for our knock on at about 74-76 minutes after a great break, they had at least one player between SH and 1st receiver, which caused the knock on as was in the eyeline. It is what they used to call lazy running. It is the responsibility of the defender not to interfere, even by presence.

These probably wouldn’t halve made a difference, but every decision not equal causes momentum swings, and territory swings.

Not bad for as relatively second string team,

rant over
Fanscene
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:52 pm

We were missing 17 players yet it feels like our wider squad is trying to play as if we still have Mata getting us front foot ball, watson turnovers and VDM and Graham the magic to get the 5 pointers. While kunavula, miller and blain did well they have had so little exposure at this level.

Systems and building experience is on cockerill and co, there has been opportunities to add one or two 'fringe' players into strong squads which have not been taken.

Chamberlain again not used, we are a knock to VDW away from him starting v leinster or in champions cup and he has had virtually no game time.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:22 pm

I agree on Chamberlain, but conversely if our season carries on like this, then what difference does it make?

There's something to missing 17 players, but our 9-10-12-13 are all regulars and the forwards were generating some decent ball but they couldn't use it effectively.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:42 pm

gowrie wrote:I agree on Chamberlain, but conversely if our season carries on like this, then what difference does it make?

There's something to missing 17 players, but our 9-10-12-13 are all regulars and the forwards were generating some decent ball but they couldn't use it effectively.

Yip agree, but it felt like 9-12 were dropped into our 2and team rather than there being familiarity, how we have trained over a longer period have the first XV and the squad players been mixing or has it been them v us in training. While we have now been forced to rotate a full team the lack of cohesion feels like it could have been mitigated with a bit more regular rotation.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:02 am

The Feral Goat wrote:
gowrie wrote:I agree on Chamberlain, but conversely if our season carries on like this, then what difference does it make?

Yip agree, but it felt like 9-12 were dropped into our 2and team rather than there being familiarity, how we have trained over a longer period have the first XV and the squad players been mixing or has it been them v us in training. While we have now been forced to rotate a full team the lack of cohesion feels like it could have been mitigated with a bit more regular rotation.

I'm amused that you think that there's cohesion and an attacking structure and threat in our "first choice" team. It doesn't matter which 15 we have on the pitch, it's the same turgid stuff week in and week out and has been for years.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:48 am

On the positive side:
Blain-looks a terrific prospect and hopefully he'll get plenty game time next few weeks.Nice to see a young Scottish wing/fullback as hardly any around .He could make a big step up in the next few weeks if he carries on like last night.
Kunavalu-looked every bit as good as Mata (in the open).I know we've been well stocked in the back row but very odd he never got a chance last season-can only recall him being on the bench once but didn't even get on.
Davidson-again looking very impressive both in the lineout and loose play.
May have been 17 unavailable but that was still a pretty strong side.We'll be putting out some much weaker sides than that I suspect as the season progresses.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:15 am

A real mixture of good, indifferent and bad. I'm in the camp that as individuals everyone did good things at some stage, but some of the collective effort, particularly in defence, was extremely shaky. There were a lot of 7s players in there - maybe not so used to the grubber kick and 15s defensive patterns ? And yes of course they should have been coached through the patterns.

This is a stage that Glasgow had to go through when they were losing their first team squad to Scotland, and it needs planning - which I get is a bit difficult in Covid circumstances, but needs some urgent work. Chamberlain must be wondering what the hell he needs to do to get a start. VDW isn't looking anything like as good as Weir at the moment

I'd say that there were only two absolute first choices on the pitch - JVDW and Schoeman. Maybe an argument for Groom and Nel - possibly Chris Dean. The rest were seconds or even thirds. Some put their hands up - Kunavala, Davidson, Blain, and I wouldn't say any were rank. But as others have said, little sign of squad based on pitch cohesion.

I wouldn't play both Dean and Johnstone - good players but too similar. They both need a bit of space, and Taylor needs to be in there to create that space through grunt.

But the biggest problem is leadership and overall confidence - the team ( and that's the first team as well as last nights ) has clearly forgotten how to win.

Being cynical over the Dean block for the disallowed Sau try ( well played under the high ball Eroni - I take the credit for highlighting the issue ! :lol: ) - ref gives it, no complaints from Connacht, Scottish TMO steps in, rightly though marginal. I wonder how many Irish / Welsh TMOs would have done that ?

Finally, we've looked at Edinburgh's faults, but credit to Connacht - did an excellent job.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:30 am

The coaches have to carry a lot of the blame for lack of cohesion etc.

The lack of direction comes from coaching, the lack of game time for some comes from coaching.

Games like last night expose how much of the game plan relies on a couple of guys being special. Especially when the pack can't steamroller the opposition which has long been the preferred Cockerill game plan.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:30 pm

That's 6 defeats in a row and, while the Glasgow one and yesterday were without a substantial number of first choice players, it speaks of something being wrong at the club right now. Whether that is coaching, attitude, S&C, tactics, whatever, something needs to change.

Last night, clearly, the defence was an issue. This is not something we've really experienced much in the last year or so, whereas profligacy in attack during Cockers' tenure has meant we haven't always put the games away that we should have.

I don't know what the answer is.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:02 pm

I think a big problem is lack of time on the training pitch.

Defences is down to excellent structure which is worked on in preseason and I think the team's lost that which such a strange time. All sports I think are seeing more points scored and I don't think it's a coincidence. EPL the games are high scoring, NFL the games are higher scoring.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:28 pm

we were just plain awful! Connacht saw we had a young winger playing full back and kicked in behind our defensive wall every chance they got to expose his poor positioning. Neither winger helped with their positioning either and Sau can't defend. We made little headway in carrying and our centres ran into 2 defenders all night long. No excuses they were a better team and had better line breaking moves and individuals. Biggest worry for me is the lack of confidence in the team. Cockers needs to work some magic soon, we are getting found out.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:51 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I think a big problem is lack of time on the training pitch.

Defences is down to excellent structure which is worked on in preseason and I think the team's lost that which such a strange time. All sports I think are seeing more points scored and I don't think it's a coincidence. EPL the games are high scoring, NFL the games are higher scoring.

It may be that but its the same for everyone.

On EPL, however, scores have been inflated I think because after the first couple of rounds after re-start, they were playing 2 games a week or close to it. Many teams were fielding 2nd XVs or worse. Eg Worcs just are not going to put 50 on Exeter 1sts, even on an off day
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:53 pm

doedin wrote:we were just plain awful! Connacht saw we had a young winger playing full back and kicked in behind our defensive wall every chance they got to expose his poor positioning. Neither winger helped with their positioning either and Sau can't defend. We made little headway in carrying and our centres ran into 2 defenders all night long. No excuses they were a better team and had better line breaking moves and individuals. Biggest worry for me is the lack of confidence in the team. Cockers needs to work some magic soon, we are getting found out.

that lasts sentence should read

The players need to work some magic soon, Cockers has been found out
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:38 am

joe soap wrote:
doedin wrote:we were just plain awful! Connacht saw we had a young winger playing full back and kicked in behind our defensive wall every chance they got to expose his poor positioning. Neither winger helped with their positioning either and Sau can't defend. We made little headway in carrying and our centres ran into 2 defenders all night long. No excuses they were a better team and had better line breaking moves and individuals. Biggest worry for me is the lack of confidence in the team. Cockers needs to work some magic soon, we are getting found out.

Could change Cockers to the coaching staff. Very few of the backs have enhanced their core skills under Hodge.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:55 am

BigD163 wrote:
joe soap wrote:

Could change Cockers to the coaching staff. Very few of the backs have enhanced their core skills under Hodge.

I think we have seen individuals improve under hodge. VdW place kicking has greatly improved, VDM and Kinghorn defensively have improved, taylor has come through well. Unfortunately it is the combined that is still not there with a lack of cohesive attacking strategy
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum