Scarlets.v edinburgh 6:45 Sunday 1st nov

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Scarlets.v edinburgh 6:45 Sunday 1st nov

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:09 pm

I thought it was great!

WP Serves Up A Double - http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:18 pm

Contriving to nearly lose to 14 / 13 would have been a new low. Ref was disgracefully lenient to the Scarlets scrum, but if their backs had played behind WP & co they'd have run in a bagful. As said above even with 15 against 13 they never looked like engineering space.

Hope Taylor is OK - that looked a seriously worrying knock. And to bring on Shiel instead of Chamberlain - I really don't know what's going on there.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:28 pm

Agree that Miller was probably the pick of the non-props on the pitch. Could only watch on mute so didn't catch all the details, was it Shiel on the left wing in the second half? He had some good interventions there too

It's not great that we barely created anything against 13 men, it's not going to be a high-scoring game in those conditions but we failed to squeeze them out of the game when we had a man advantage and strong dominance in the forwards. Hopefully this is the end of the decline, but a long way to go back up
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:35 pm

The Chiel wrote:Contriving to nearly lose to 14 / 13 would have been a new low. Ref was disgracefully lenient to the Scarlets scrum, but if their backs had played behind WP & co they'd have run in a bagful. As said above even with 15 against 13 they never looked like engineering space.

Hope Taylor is OK - that looked a seriously worrying knock. And to bring on Shiel instead of Chamberlain - I really don't know what's going on there.

As we saw yesterday, SHs are often emergency wingers so it would've taken a much bigger rejig of the back division to bring Chamberlain on at that point.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:32 am

Rico wrote:Take the points and let us never speak of this game again...

I dunno, I quite enjoyed that despite the conditions and the low score.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:34 am

TheSmidge wrote:
The Chiel wrote:Contriving to nearly lose to 14 / 13 would have been a new low. Ref was disgracefully lenient to the Scarlets scrum, but if their backs had played behind WP & co they'd have run in a bagful. As said above even with 15 against 13 they never looked like engineering space.

As we saw yesterday, SHs are often emergency wingers so it would've taken a much bigger rejig of the back division to bring Chamberlain on at that point.

Also Shiel is lightning quick, I'd back him to get away on the wing given the opportunity.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:50 am

I missed the game, sounds like a good one to miss.

Did Chamberlain get on at all? Its becoming a bit of a trend how little he is trusted and it needs to happen at some point. Maybe Cockers is looking for a game where we are not in a dog fight with 20 to go. Bringing him on would have meant we needed to put Jaco to FB, and Blain on the wing.

The Edinburgh live feed seemed to suggest Bennet was on the wing when Taylor went off? Would have thought Johnstone there would have made more sense, but Bennet is very capable.

Fingers crossed Taylor is ok.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:03 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:I missed the game, sounds like a good one to miss.

Did Chamberlain get on at all? Its becoming a bit of a trend how little he is trusted and it needs to happen at some point. Maybe Cockers is looking for a game where we are not in a dog fight with 20 to go. Bringing him on would have meant we needed to put Jaco to FB, and Blain on the wing.

The Edinburgh live feed seemed to suggest Bennet was on the wing when Taylor went off? Would have thought Johnstone there would have made more sense, but Bennet is very capable.

Fingers crossed Taylor is ok.

Chamberlain unused but 6-3 with no wins this season maybe not the best time to throw him on...although with Scotland 10 woes Chamberlain could find himself playing 80mins the coming weeks.

Johnstone already on for Dean after 3mins or something switching one of him or Bennett to wing would meant sheil or Chamberlain in centre.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:15 am

TheSmidge wrote:

But on Saturday Steele was the only backs option left. Nothing against Shiel, but if Cockerill has so little confidence in Chamberlain why pick him. I get it was a tight game so a normal like for like subbing on wasn't appropriate, but you'd have thought a 10 who's presumably also played some rugby at centre could have fitted into the defensive patterns more easily than a 9.

However the win was the thing so onwards. But if I was Chamberlain I'd have very little confidence left.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:48 am

Possibly, but a 9 who. Is used to sweeping behind the defensive line will more often find themselves defending the wide areas than a 10, as mentioned Sheil will also be quicker.

Given the lack of options at the moment it would be be a surprise for the likes of Shiel and Bennet to be doing training runs covering wing. May be something semi planned for.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:46 am

I'm not going to argue that Cockerill is overly generous with game time to developing halfbacks, but I can't blame him for the decisions yesterday. 6-3 up in torrential rain, away from home, for the first win of the season? I can't imagine any coach bringing on such an inexperienced flyhalf into those conditions. If he'd come on and made a mistake that cost the game, would that have been better for his confidence?

Also wrt Shiel, he played well on the wing, took high balls under pressure, defended well and used his pace a couple of times, it was the right call to put him on the wing.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:46 pm

I haven’t seen the game yet, but apparently Taylor has a broken nose, broken cheek and broken jaw.

Was the “tackle” the reason the Scarlets player was sent off?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:51 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I haven’t seen the game yet, but apparently Taylor has a broken nose, broken cheek and broken jaw.

yes.

Big lock goes for Taylor at full tilt on a slight angle behind. Goes shoulder high but his head goes straight to Taylor's. Nasty clash. No malice or intent but if he tackles below shoulder height it doesn't happen. Reckless, no duty of care to opponent. Clear red card.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I haven’t seen the game yet, but apparently Taylor has a broken nose, broken cheek and broken jaw.

Ouch.

Looked a sore one at the time, the Scarlets player led with his head.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:56 pm

The Chiel wrote:
But on Saturday Steele was the only backs option left. Nothing against Shiel, but if Cockerill has so little confidence in Chamberlain why pick him. I get it was a tight game so a normal like for like subbing on wasn't appropriate, but you'd have thought a 10 who's presumably also played some rugby at centre could have fitted into the defensive patterns more easily than a 9.

However the win was the thing so onwards. But if I was Chamberlain I'd have very little confidence left.

in this instance as others have said Shiel to wing was not an obviously poor call. The option would have been VDW to FB, Blain to wing, Chamberlain to 10. Or one of VDW or Chamberlain to 12, other at 10, one of centres to wing.

None ideal really in the circumstances. One change albeit out of position as opposed to 2 or 3 switching around. Chamberlain was only ever going to get 5 mins if game was well won or well lost, which is a different issue
joe soap
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum