Scarlets.v edinburgh 6:45 Sunday 1st nov

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Scarlets.v edinburgh 6:45 Sunday 1st nov

Postby joe soap on Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:58 pm

joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:47 pm

That is completely reckless
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:29 pm

Jeez, that looks horrific.

I know there doesn't appear to be intent there, but direct to the head, with force with no mitigation (there is no real dip or reason to go high) should be a lengthy ban.

It is excactly the sort of tackle they are trying to prevent, swinging arms and those with intent are seen less now, this is all about technique and what he was trying to do.

Outcomes seem to be the order of the day and if Taylor is as badly hurt as suggested then I am livid about it. That just should not happen. I haven't seen the other cards, but apparebtly this is the 3rd red for Scarlets 2nd rows, in 4 games. What is the problem there? Does anyone know what the other cards were for?

To get more than one red in a season is quite unusual, for 3 to be for 2nd rows it very odd.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:32 pm

Reckless and totally unnecessary, he had covered the ground and was in a position to make a good tackle but chose to go higher and put in the "big hit".

Centre stocks low now as well Bennett and JJ only fit ones I think unless dean gets through RTP without any issues. Venter will be straight off plane and into a match at this rate.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:42 pm

We did well in difficult conditions and in a difficult place to go. Played to the conditions and played to contain Scarlets. Gameplan worked well.

I thought Pyrgos was the difference this week compared to our previous performances. His ain't flashy but he brings leadership and decision making to the team and we looked far more composed than in previous games. Nel and Schoeman just destroyed their props all game and made our set piece a joy to watch. Lineouts were a lottery due to the weather. Our ball retention and rucking was excellent in the conditions.

Was worried we were going to run out of players though. 3 subs in less than 20 mins followed by the assault on Taylor was scary. I don't agree that there was no intent by their 2nd row, why else would he go in at that height and head first if he wasn't intent on doing damage? This is not a new rule and coaching would make it clear that this was unacceptable but he still went in at head hight which was a deliberate decision. I hope he gets a lengthy ban.

Bit worried now about who is left standing in the squad now, have we enough fit guys to field a full match fit 23?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:54 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote: I haven't seen the other cards, but apparebtly this is the 3rd red for Scarlets 2nd rows, in 4 games. What is the problem there? Does anyone know what the other cards were for?

To get more than one red in a season is quite unusual, for 3 to be for 2nd rows it very odd.

didn't see last week's but I understand it was their no8 and the decision was rescinded

The other one was against Glasgow, leading with shoulder into head. Louisi's 2nd in a dozen games for Scarlets. Basically he is a thug

[https://eu-cdn.rugbypass.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/GettyImages-1229012381-2.jpg][/img]
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:06 pm

Hearing reports that Taylor has broken nose, broken cheek and broken jaw - anyone know if this is correct?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Only on here,nothing on club website yet confirming this.Looked shocking at the time.Poor lad,I've never heard of all three-nose,cheek and jaw-being broken at the same time in a rugby injury.Best wishes to George on his recovery.
And the switch to Monday night matches ain't going to help us during the Autumn Cup.imagine Toonie will want his full squad training at beginning of each week so suspect we won't get the likes of Ne,Bhatti and Haining back much if at all until December.And in the four new injuries and we are going to really struggle to get 23 fit players out unless the injury list clears a bit. Shiel may well find himself starting on the wing sometime soon!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:43 pm

Taylor’s injuries were mentioned on the Embra FB page by someone who knows the players
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:58 pm

liveinhope wrote:
And the switch to Monday night matches ain't going to help us during the Autumn Cup. !

Not sure it makes a lot of difference TBH

maybe players who are 24th or 25th man for Scotland on a Saturday more likely to be released back for a Mon day game than if Edin play on a Friday night.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:56 pm

doedin wrote:Hearing reports that Taylor has broken nose, broken cheek and broken jaw - anyone know if this is correct?

Sickening. Such a prospect and this season should have been a real opportunity for him to shine. Robbed by a shocking effort at a tackle, like others have said just terrible technique there.

Hope Taylor recovers quickly, he'll come again.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:13 am

And now with the news of VDW away (wedding then quarantine then poss Scotland) for a few weeks we are getting even thinner in resources...
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:19 am

joe soap wrote:Image

When you look at that, the first reaction from the Welsh commentators that it was just a "rugby collision" seems all the more horrendous. I said straight away that it was a red card regardless of intent, because of the danger to the other player. He should get a long ban for that, particularly if the outcome is as bad as rumoured.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:30 pm

If memory serves, the live angle was from a camera above, so it looked different. At the time, I thought it was an unfortunate collision too and wondered why the ref was asking for a replay. I can understand commentators thinking the same. Then I saw this angle, which tells a different story entirely. Horrific injury and a lengthy ban for Helps looks inevitable. I hope all goes well with George's recovery.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:34 pm

Martin Bell wrote:If memory serves, the live angle was from a camera above, so it looked different. At the time, I thought it was an unfortunate collision too and wondered why the ref was asking for a replay. I can understand commentators thinking the same. Then I saw this angle, which tells a different story entirely. Horrific injury and a lengthy ban for Helps looks inevitable. I hope all goes well with George's recovery.

My reaction from the live angle was that his head snaps to the side violently, indicating a high tackle with force at the very least, but appreciate that not everyone saw it that way.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum