Embra v Cardiff Mon 9th of November

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Embra v Cardiff Mon 9th of November

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:10 pm

Edinburgh Rugby team to face Cardiff Blues at BT Murrayfield in the Guinness PRO14

Monday 9 November (kick-off 7.45pm) - live on Premier Sports

15. Jack Blain (3)

14. Eroni Sau (12)
13. Mark Bennett (41)
12. Chris Dean (95)
11. Jamie Farndale (10)

10. Nathan Chamberlain (3)
9. Henry Pyrgos (37) CAPTAIN

1. Pierre Schoeman (48)
2. David Cherry (25)
3. Lee-Roy Atalifo*
4. Andries Ferreira (1)
5. Jamie Hodgson (9)
6. Magnus Bradbury (81)
7. Luke Crosbie (42)
8. Ally Miller (16)

Replacements: 16. Mike Willemse (25) 17. Sam Grahamslaw* 18. Dan Gamble* 19. Marshall Sykes (1) 20. Connor Boyle (1) 21. Nic Groom (15) 22. Charlie Shiel (22) 23. James Johnstone (53)

24 players unavailable due to injury and international selection
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Re: Embra v Cardiff Mon 9th of November

Postby Weegie on Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:50 pm

Groom and Shiel both on the bench so Shisl probably covering 10 where he has played for Currie.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:29 pm

Stronger starting 15 than I thought we may see.

Great to see crosbie back and good to see cherry start he has looked good off the bench.

Plenty of experience at 9, 12, 13 to help chamberlain.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:11 pm

Not sure if we have any other backs left?
Can't cope with more injuries this week so fingers crossed for a clean bill of health plus some of those on injury list recovering quickly.
Good to have Sau and Crosbie back-plus Dean making a quick return after last weekend's HIA.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:47 pm

liveinhope wrote:Not sure if we have any other backs left?

yeah, looks like last man standing to me, or close
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:53 pm

Weegie wrote:Groom and Shiel both on the bench so Shisl probably covering 10 where he has played for Currie.

while its possible that the have been running in training with Shiel at 10, it would be very out of character for Cockerill to start a kid at 10 and another youngster with little pro game experience as his back up 10 playing out of position.
So I'm thinking more either there is no one else fit and available, or Sheil is covering wing. Pyrgos (at a push Groom) 10. HP also kicked a few goals for the weegies, another reason I see him playing 80mins
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:51 pm

joe soap wrote:
Weegie wrote:Groom and Shiel both on the bench so Shisl probably covering 10 where he has played for Currie.

while its possible that the have been running in training with Shiel at 10, it would be very out of character for Cockerill to start a kid at 10 and another youngster with little pro game experience as his back up 10 playing out of position.
So I'm thinking more either there is no one else fit and available, or Sheil is covering wing. Pyrgos (at a push Groom) 10. HP also kicked a few goals for the weegies, another reason I see him playing 80mins

Pyrgos has to be the main alternative at 10 here, I can't think of any reason why it would be anyone else.

This match day squad, and the list of unavailable players, really brings home how we are having to just "get by" in these financially constrained times. The only players listed on the website not in the 23, on international duty, or injured, are Rory Darge, Sam Kitchen and Dan Nutton. The only other alternative is the academy guys and it is highly probably that a few more of them will make pro debuts in the next few weeks.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:59 pm

joe soap wrote:

Bennet is a passable kicker too, used to take a few long rangers. He also filled in pretty well when Jaco was in the bin.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:12 am

TheSmidge wrote:Pyrgos has to be the main alternative at 10 here, I can't think of any reason why it would be anyone else.

Having seen SHiel play 10, it was a bit of a knee jerk reaction on my part. I agree that Shiel covering back three, Johnstone midfield and Groom / Pyrgos inside backs makes more sense once I'd given it a moment's thought.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:59 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Stronger starting 15 than I thought we may see.

Great to see crosbie back and good to see cherry start he has looked good off the bench.

Plenty of experience at 9, 12, 13 to help chamberlain.

Definitely a test of squad depth though.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:30 pm

I'm absolutely raging about tonight's team selection. Given how we've started the season Cardiff at home is an absolute must win and we're missing Bhatti, Berghan/Nel, Toolis and Haining, none of whom are likely to be in the Scotland 23 at the weekend. Every chance that one of the back three might well miss out as well. Must win game and we're playing a bunch of kids so that half our pack can hold tackle bags in Scotland training. LawrenceBryce Townsend!

That said good luck to the kids, its great to see them get game time, just not all at the same time. Really pleased Dave Cherry has been given the start, really well deserved. Be very interesting to see how Chamberlain gets on.
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:47 pm

no kids in the starting pack, One in the starting backs and that's got AlanLewis all to do with Scotland.

One of Nel or Bergan will be in the 23 on Sat

Apart from that, too many kids on the bench, I agree, but then again this is the only way these kids would get any game time under Cockerill
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:38 pm

Miller showing up well again.

Apart from that...

Pass marks for Chamberlain in that half
Last edited by Tichtheid on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:38 pm

So I got approximately 60 seconds' worth of that half on the pro14tv player.

Are we worth the lead?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:44 pm

robdinsdale wrote:So I got approximately 60 seconds' worth of that half on the pro14tv player.

Are we worth the lead?

I'd say so, aye, but it's typical Edinburgh, lots of grunt, not a lot of guile.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum