La Rochelle BT Murrayfield 12 Dec 8pm KO

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

La Rochelle BT Murrayfield 12 Dec 8pm KO

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:29 pm

15. Blair Kinghorn (91)
14. Darcy Graham (35)
13. Mark Bennett (43)
12. Chris Dean (98)
11. Duhan van der Merwe (61)
10. Jaco van der Walt (62)
9. Henry Pyrgos (40) CC

1. Pierre Schoeman (51)
2. Stuart McInally (147) CC
3. WP Nel (146)
4. Ben Toolis (123)
5. Andrew Davidson (9)
6. Jamie Ritchie (71)
7. Hamish Watson (113)
8. Viliame Mata (76)

Substitutes:
16. Mike Willemse (28)
17. Rory Sutherland (86)
18. Simon Berghan (84)
19. Andries Ferreira (4)
20. Magnus Bradbury (84)
21. Nic Groom (17)
22. Nathan Chamberlain (6)
23. James Johnstone (56)

Unavailable due to injury (14): Lewis Carmichael, Luke Crosbie, Dan Gamble, Grant Gilchrist, Matt Gordon, Nick Haining, Damien Hoyland, Charlie Jupp, Mesu Kunavula, Fraser McKenzie, Murray McCallum, Dan Nutton, Charlie Savala, George Taylor.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: La Rochelle BT Murrayfield 12 Dec 8pm KO

Postby liveinhope on Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:48 pm

Probably most won't agree but in my view Blain "had the jersey" and it was his to lose (particularly as Kinghorn has hardly excelled either for Edinburgh or Scotland. (In the same way Glen Bryce has played so well in the past fewweeks he has taked the jersey from Huw Jones over at Glasgow whilst Jones was away inthe Scotland camp.)
I appreciate Blain wuill no doubt get a chance down the line and its not Cockerill to do this but I thought he had a chance of selection for tomorrow.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:18 pm

La Rochelle: Sinzelle, Leyds, Doumayrou, Botia, Rhule, Plisson, Kerr-Barlow; Alldritt, Gourdon, Liebenberg, Skelton, Lavault, Atonio, Bourgarit, Wardi.

Replacements: Bosch, Aouf, Joly, Tanguy, Bourdeau, Berjon, West, Alonso-Munoz.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:24 pm

liveinhope wrote:Probably most won't agree but in my view Blain "had the jersey" and it was his to lose (particularly as Kinghorn has hardly excelled either for Edinburgh or Scotland. (In the same way Glen Bryce has played so well in the past fewweeks he has taked the jersey from Huw Jones over at Glasgow whilst Jones was away inthe Scotland camp.)
I appreciate Blain wuill no doubt get a chance down the line and its not Cockerill to do this but I thought he had a chance of selection for tomorrow.

I agree and i think Blain noticeably improved with a run of games over the past few weeks one of the few to come out with credit.

Would have Cherry ahead of Willemse as well.

That is probably a Gilchirst away from a full strength starting 15 though.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:10 pm

liveinhope wrote:Probably most won't agree but in my view Blain "had the jersey" and it was his to lose (particularly as Kinghorn has hardly excelled either for Edinburgh or Scotland. (In the same way Glen Bryce has played so well in the past fewweeks he has taked the jersey from Huw Jones over at Glasgow whilst Jones was away inthe Scotland camp.)

I dunno, he effectively had the jersey in the B team. Might be more of a case for him if it had been non international period games.

He's probably put himself in contention for regular league games now. I wouldn't be surprised to see him chosen ahead of Farndale for instance.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:24 pm

If someone wanted to make sure they didn't watch this game illegally online, are there any particular websites they should avoid?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:56 pm

I guess the commentators were watching a replay of the Bristol Clermont game from earlier given by the way they were calling that anything other than absolute rubbish.

Nothing to care about, if you've watched any terrible performance this season then you already know exactly how this one played out. Slow turgid anti-rugby that's completely ineffective, box-kick after box-kick for negative gains. Internationals back didn't make any difference, the entire structure is broken and it doesn't matter who plays.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:00 pm

Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:37 pm

I know kicking the ball all day long is the way rugby seems to have gone this year, but surely our backs spend at least some time during the week working on attacking moves? Absolute zero cutting edge is evident this season.

We've got world-class wingers being absolutely starved of the ball, and surely it's not beyond the wit of Pyrgos and/or Jaco to try a little wraparound or something of that ilk?
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:48 pm

La rochelle are a good team and I thought we largely kept them quiet, but we continue to shoot ourselves in both feet with errors, poor ball control and ball retention.

As has been said the game plan needs to evolve we just don't carry much of a threat out side of miracle plays. Looks like we are lacking confidence and gone backwards since last season. Longer this season goes on more and more we miss matt Scott feels like he is the missing ingredient.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby djsxv on Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:52 pm

Maybe my memory is playing tricks, but has Willemse coughed up a penalty in 3 or 4 games this 'season' in the last play of the game?
djsxv
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:05 pm

Impega wrote:I know kicking the ball all day long is the way rugby seems to have gone this year, but surely our backs spend at least some time during the week working on attacking moves? Absolute zero cutting edge is evident this season.

We've got world-class wingers being absolutely starved of the ball, and surely it's not beyond the wit of Pyrgos and/or Jaco to try a little wraparound or something of that ilk?

Being honest, if I was one of our back 3 I'd be looking to move on when my contract was up.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:12 pm

I'm not sure anyone who is good enough to get offers from other teams won't be considering moving if we continue like this. Does Watson want to keep playing in a team that uses him as a first phase battering ram?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:57 pm

The rugby paper claiming Duhan has signed for Worcester on £300k

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... -warriors/

Will see if it turns out to be true not sure the rugby paper is always accurate.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:22 pm

If true just about trump a wholely depressing weekend (season) for scottish rugby.
Mind you if I was VDM I'd expect my agent to find me a better club than Worcester surely? Imagine Saracens would be looking to beef things up once they are back in the Premiership for instance.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum