Sale v edi sat 19 dec 8pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Sale v edi sat 19 dec 8pm

Postby JDCSR on Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:17 am

I thought Hodgson was good in the pack, grafted hard. No issue with him starting more games.

Blain also let nobody down, should be a serious prospect and his emergence is timely if we do lose VDM.

Bradbury very good. Him in at blindside is very good though with Mata so out of sorts he may end up back at 8. He's a hulking bruiser at 6, very dominant in defence in the Jason White mould.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby toocoldhere on Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:36 am

Mata is coming back from an ankle injury so he was always going to take some time to get back up to speed and shed a bit of weight, I felt that even over the match you could see him progressing.

Great to see Bradbury getting back to where he left of, hopefully that will give him so more confidence.

Blain looked solid and you wouldn't have thought he was only on his 7th cap. Blair on the other hand is a shadow of his former self, and he needs to offload at the opportune moments, twice he took contact rather than passing out to Duhan. We're criminally under using him at the moment!

That game management at the end, I felt like we were watching Munster from about 5 years ago. Full credit to the team for making that work
toocoldhere
Established pro

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:17 pm

toocoldhere wrote:Mata is coming back from an ankle injury so he was always going to take some time to get back up to speed and shed a bit of weight, I felt that even over the match you could see him progressing.

Great to see Bradbury getting back to where he left of, hopefully that will give him so more confidence.

Blain looked solid and you wouldn't have thought he was only on his 7th cap. Blair on the other hand is a shadow of his former self, and he needs to offload at the opportune moments, twice he took contact rather than passing out to Duhan. We're criminally under using him at the moment!

That game management at the end, I felt like we were watching Munster from about 5 years ago. Full credit to the team for making that work

Thought Kinghorn was okay - don't think stepping in is the worst option as teams overcommit on VdM now. Bit agree it's not his best form and the SRU need to be concerned they had a hugely exciting young gun regress the way Kinghorn has. There needs to be improvement.

I like Blain too - I'm a bit concerned about his pace at the top level as he was absolutely gassed by JvR but we'll see. Stood up well.

Really agree about Bradbury he's a 6 and was dominant in defence but we need an 8! Bradbury, Crosbie and Ritchie are all excellent but all 6s.

Hodgson was great for me. Powerful. He should be seeing a lot more game time.

Disappointed for Shiel as he's a 9 in the fast ball mould but the backs are just so deep. It's maddening the skills are there Dean's hands when the team were flat for the try were very good. It's so poor tactically.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:58 pm

I like Blain too - I'm a bit concerned about his pace at the top level as he was absolutely gassed by JvR but we'll see. Stood up well.

Agree, Blain's been very solid but doesn't seem the quickest.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:04 pm

toocoldhere wrote:
Blair on the other hand is a shadow of his former self, and he needs to offload at the opportune moments, twice he took contact rather than passing out to Duhan. We're criminally under using him at the moment!

Confess I didn't see much of the first half ( wife watching Strictly and not pressing record fiasco ), but I genuinely can't remember DVDM getting a pass in the second half. Criminal - and to be clear, it's not just Kinghorn. Why wouldn't you get the ball down the line quickly for your best attacking weapon to run on to ?

Last five minutes wasn't good for the nerves, and I was waiting for the usually inevitable penalty for going off feet which refs apply only in situations where teams are running the clock down. But credit to the team for holding on - big morale boost.

I do like Flatman. He understands the game - and particularly the scrum, light touch and says what he sees rather than other commentators spouting biased guff saying only what they want to see.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:48 pm

gowrie wrote:

Agree, Blain's been very solid but doesn't seem the quickest.

Think he was over striding to chase JvR looked like he almost stumbled rather than not being quick.

I thought Kinghorn was fine, few seasons ago he was throwing speculative offloads too often he has reigned that in. There is a balance obviously but with our game plan which appears very conservative and only really attack if in oppo 22, I think he did ok.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:32 pm

The win will do wonders for the confidence of the squad and hopefully spur them on for the rest of the season. You could see the belief grow as the game went on. Hamish well deserved MOM, thought he was instrumental in leading the fight back, also thought Groom did well managing the game once he got on.

Cheered me up no end after the doom and gloom of the Covid announcements earlier in the day. The trapping call was brill, more of that sort of refereeing please.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:51 pm

Yes the "trapping" was very amusing-made up for the awful refereeeing otherwise ( wanting to let off a blatant forward pass and failure to give a clear red card).
Ok "winning ugly" but really dogged it out and very important for morale (of the supporters as well as players!) Could help us into the QF's of the Challenge Cup at least if we can beat Sale at home although lack of try bonus points might not do us any favours.
As last poster said something cheery in very gloomy times.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:55 pm

Yellow upgraded to Red:

The Sale Sharks No 8, Jean-Luc du Preez, has been suspended for four weeks following an independent Disciplinary Hearing by video conference today (Wednesday, 23 December) arising from his club’s Heineken Champions Cup, Round 2 match against Edinburgh Rugby at the AJ Bell Arena.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:48 pm

sammy wrote:Yellow upgraded to Red:

The Sale Sharks No 8, Jean-Luc du Preez, has been suspended for four weeks following an independent Disciplinary Hearing by video conference today (Wednesday, 23 December) arising from his club’s Heineken Champions Cup, Round 2 match against Edinburgh Rugby at the AJ Bell Arena.

Decidedly good christmas pressie.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum