1872 part 2.1 Sat 16th 17:15

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 part 2.1 Sat 16th 17:15

Postby The Nudger on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:34 pm

Total sh*t tonight. Hodge has to go. Its not just the pathetic attacking structure, compare the way our forwards come through and improve with the way our backs fail to develop. Name one back who's been at Edinburgh for the last 6 years who's really developed their game?
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:19 pm

Thompson was so impressive , superbly assured for his age and sharp for a player who has played little or no Rugby for the last 10 months. The really frustrating thing is that he is a born and bred Edinburgh lad! Edinburgh played well tonight but to me they still lack an out and out 10. Jaco still good in parts but unconvincing in the round , especially in his game management. Just a pity we didn’t pick up so someone who could not only push him whom he could learn from.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:43 pm

And yet three of our four threequarters scored tries (when did that last-if ever-happen!)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:07 am

Trophyhunter wrote:Thompson was so impressive , superbly assured for his age and sharp for a player who has played little or no Rugby for the last 10 months. The really frustrating thing is that he is a born and bred Edinburgh lad! Edinburgh played well tonight but to me they still lack an out and out 10. Jaco still good in parts but unconvincing in the round , especially in his game management. Just a pity we didn’t pick up so someone who could not only push him whom he could learn from.

We have Chamberlain who shared time with Thompson in the under20s. Wilson and Bell had Price and Thompson playing controlled rugby and actually trusted him to make decisions unlike how we his Chamberlain.

Cockers and Hodge wouldn't give Thompson anytime unless they had to as with Chamberlain.

The coaching isn't good enough. How does Cockers turn this around? Glasgow's packed looked a better outfit today.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:44 am

He's at least had the 3 starts when Van Der Walt was unavailable but tonight was the 8th time Chamberlain has been on the bench this season and he's been an unused sub in 7 of those games. 8 minutes from the bench against the Ospreys in the opening round of the PRO14 his only game time as a sub in 2020/21.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Frank on Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:47 am

liveinhope wrote:And yet three of our four threequarters scored tries (when did that last-if ever-happen!)

I have no idea, but I am guessing it's probably a game we won.

Not sure how Mike Adamson will get on in a 6N match, his decision making around the scrums in particular was very random.

Glasgow look to have some young players coming through. So do we, but they're not getting the same opportunity. Blain (injured I know), Shiel and Chambarlain need to play more.

Mata was a bit more energised, but he wasn't spectacular. Bennett was good again and Cherry was excellent at times. When Gilchrist was fouled by Turner he went down as if he was made of marshmallow. How much longer he can be relied on?
Frank
One cap wonder

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:34 am

To be fair to Gilchrist if you are at full stretch and you set a dunt in the ribs it will knock the wind out if you. He seemed fine after he got himself sorted out.

I agree Chamberlain needs to get more minutes, one way or another. I’m not so convinced in the clamour for Shiel, he is a good player but not the messiah by any means. Notwithstanding the point in the tries scored by backs I don’t think we looked overly dangerous in the backs and still need more spark.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:44 am

I thought Gilchrist had a poor game and was ruck inspecting a fair bit. Hodgson works harder in both defence and attack in my opinion and it should be Gilchrist making way for Toolis when he's fit.

Ross Thompson was superb for them, I hope he keeps up that level of performance and I hope Chamberlain can get there as well.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:06 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:To be fair to Gilchrist if you are at full stretch and you set a dunt in the ribs it will knock the wind out if you. He seemed fine after he got himself sorted out.

I agree Chamberlain needs to get more minutes, one way or another. I’m not so convinced in the clamour for Shiel, he is a good player but not the messiah by any means. Notwithstanding the point in the tries scored by backs I don’t think we looked overly dangerous in the backs and still need more spark.

Shiel provides spark. What do we achieve playing Groom? He's not that good, we're not going anywhere this year and he'll never play for Scotland. Time for Shiel to get a run not 50 minutes then dropped for months.

The difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh and Thompson and Chamberlain is going to be Glasgow trusted RT to run a game. When Chamberlain - and even VdW - are told to sit deep, Chamberlain isn't given any chances to show what he's about as everything is off 9. And that's not even they trust him a huge amount as they've been playing the tortured soul of Brandon Thomson for games. Also if any game you could hide him it's his first start in a hoolie against rivals in a hugely physical must win. But they didn't, they managed him but they told him to play his game.

And the reality is that won't change with Cockers unless he completely changes his coaching style. Which won't happen it's going to be more plan A. The SRU have a big problem here as there's three young 10s at Edinburgh. A lot of young backs and they just aren't put in positions to really show their ability.

I like Cockers a lot but this development of young backs is going to cost us.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:40 pm

Slightly off subject as more from a Scotland perspective-but suggestion on another site that Macinally has slipped a disc in his weightlifting accident and may miss whole 6N (like Fraser Brown).
if so Turner to start clearly.Then who? Cherry quite possibly.Jake Kerr?
Worrying especially when the likes og Hogg,VDM and Graham are all injured at present.Also heard that Duncan Taylor apparently went off injuresd in first half of Saracens match yesterday.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:44 pm

And again slightly off topic is it really likely the Zebre fixture on Saturday will go ahead particularly after the new travel corridor rules?
(and if so would they be allowed to risk taking anyone named-Wednesday-in the Scotland training squad for fear of bringing virus into camp even though a fortnight before Twickenham?)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:12 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:To be fair to Gilchrist if you are at full stretch and you set a dunt in the ribs it will knock the wind out if you. He seemed fine after he got himself sorted out.

Shiel provides spark. What do we achieve playing Groom? He's not that good, we're not going anywhere this year and he'll never play for Scotland. Time for Shiel to get a run not 50 minutes then dropped for months.

The difference between Glasgow and Edinburgh and Thompson and Chamberlain is going to be Glasgow trusted RT to run a game. When Chamberlain - and even VdW - are told to sit deep, Chamberlain isn't given any chances to show what he's about as everything is off 9. And that's not even they trust him a huge amount as they've been playing the tortured soul of Brandon Thomson for games. Also if any game you could hide him it's his first start in a hoolie against rivals in a hugely physical must win. But they didn't, they managed him but they told him to play his game.

And the reality is that won't change with Cockers unless he completely changes his coaching style. Which won't happen it's going to be more plan A. The SRU have a big problem here as there's three young 10s at Edinburgh. A lot of young backs and they just aren't put in positions to really show their ability.

I like Cockers a lot but this development of young backs is going to cost us.

Sorry but Thompson isn’t playing be because Wilson or Glasgow want to develop talent more than Edinburgh, he was playing because Hastings is injured and Other Thomson was shot after being left in for weeks after his head had gone. Similarly Dobie didn’t get off the bench last night similarly to Chamberlain, either did their young prop or if he did it was last minute. Their back 3 youngsters only in as they had No one else to pick

We could do more and I do think Chamberlain and Sheile should get some more minutes, I’d argue Groom is our best 9 though and it’s Pyrgos who is offering g little . Cockers is the same as every other coach and tends to rate experience. He has developed Darcy, Taylor and Blain though so it is not all bad.

I think we were looking to go wider last night and looked a more balanced style, our execution of basic skills cost us know which is a concern.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:46 pm

I'm preferring Groom to Pyrgos too. Pyrgos is very much the plan A scrum half, if we what to move away from that...
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:50 pm

Developed Blain? He's played so few games that's impossible to say. Graham and Kinghorn are probably the most high potential young players we've had in how long? I can't think of many as good age grade players assigned to us at the time. And Kinghorn is regressing, badly. We'll see how a fit Graham goes. Taylor is a fair shout, he's done well. Will become a good depth option.

That's why I said they didn't trust Thompson but when it came to the crunch they did pick him. Playing Dobie a 19 year old in a close game with a 10 playing his first game with a 12 from the 7s who has barely played is stupid. That doesn't apply to Edinburgh - we've got bundles of experience everywhere on the pitch and it's not working.

There is a problem at Edinburgh. We don't evolve our gameplan and we don't drop underperformers as they're the favourite. And now our forwards are coming second best. Shiel had a bad half and hasn't been seen since, Chamberlain isn't getting a chance no matter how little VdW gets backs going.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:50 pm

sammy wrote:I'm preferring Groom to Pyrgos too. Pyrgos is very much the plan A scrum half, if we what to move away from that...

Little piece in The Rugby Paper today linking Vellacott to Edinburgh next season. However it's basically because he can't currently get a sniff at Wasps.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum