Nicola may change the rules for elite sport.

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Nicola may change the rules for elite sport.

Postby Pitfitter446 on Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:57 pm

Seems Nicola is getting in a strop with the footie brigade but rugby may suffer too.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/55525110
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Re: Nicola may change the rules for elite sport.

Postby Frank on Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:13 pm

She raging at Celtic and their story about getting permission to go to UAE. This latest thing may be enought to put a stop. I thought sports teams required to have regular tests.
Frank
One cap wonder

Postby bignose on Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:52 am

Frank wrote:She raging at Celtic and their story about getting permission to go to UAE. This latest thing may be enought to put a stop. I thought sports teams required to have regular tests.

They do have regular tests, but that doesn't stop people from getting infected. The key thing is to minimise the opportunity for cross-infection so limiting trips (lockdown) is an important part of that. Ironically, whilst in camp in Dubai the Celtic players were probably safer than when at home but the transit through airports etc. is a serious risk.

It also doesn't look good when everyone else is stuck indoors in a damp, cold Scotland but the sports folk appear to be living it large. That puts more pressure on politicians to be seen to be doing something, especially when Celtic seem to be too stupid to notice that others might be angry with their setup and then double down by saying "the government said we could do it"
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:35 pm

There is a Celtic player who has tested positive on their return. This is a real worry as sport will be lumped in together and government wont want to be seen to be harder on football than rugby.

When there were issues at the start of the football season with Celtic and Aberdeen players, the response was to shut down the lower league teams from training. Hopefully if there is any punishment then it will be proportionate and directed to those who have been taking the TonySpreadbury.

There have to be concerns about cross borders games though, I cant see how us going to and from Wales is a good idea to be honest, although I would hate for the games to stop, it really is a great break from the issues we are facing at the moment to be able to shut off and think about rugby for a couple of hours.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:36 pm

Whilst I may be biased I do believe that televised elite sport is important to joe public in the same way that having Coronation Street of Eastenders is for others. We need to keep somethings going like sport, tv, etc as a form of public service and if nothing else keep folk indoors watching their tv instead of going out. For that reason I suspect Wee Nic's response will be targeted and measured this time round. I expect Celtic to suffer but I don't think we will see a whole sector shut down. However travel outside the UK is a different story and I can see the Euro comps and the 6Ns cancelled or reformatted as France don't want to import the English Variant of the virus. I don't blame them!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:58 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:There is a Celtic player who has tested positive on their return. This is a real worry as sport will be lumped in together and government wont want to be seen to be harder on football than rugby.

When there were issues at the start of the football season with Celtic and Aberdeen players, the response was to shut down the lower league teams from training. Hopefully if there is any punishment then it will be proportionate and directed to those who have been taking the TonySpreadbury.

There have to be concerns about cross borders games though, I cant see how us going to and from Wales is a good idea to be honest, although I would hate for the games to stop, it really is a great break from the issues we are facing at the moment to be able to shut off and think about rugby for a couple of hours.

Surely the first thing that happens is that the definition of elite sport gets tightened? There are currently 2 rugby teams playing and 70+ football teams. Cutting the number of interactions would focus on the lower leagues in football first before they hit the top end in rugby or football I would have thought.

Dragons v Edinburgh is the only travel to Wales or Ireland for either Scottish team for nearly 6 weeks. EPCR looks to be pushing back the next 2 rounds of European competition so no travel to England or France. The only question remaining is how to fit in the Zebre v Edinburgh and Glasgow v Benetton games before the resumption of full rounds of fixtures in the PRO14 (weekend of 20th February).
disco
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:41 am

I think the definition was left to the governing bodies, by agreement, so it was the SPFL/SFA who decided to bring by the prmier league and not the others, then pause the training of the other leagues when there was an issue with Aberdeen/Celtic players.

I suppose the driver here will be partially economic, there are a lot of people who depend on football for their income even at relativel lower level clubs. Having said that similar could be said for the Super 6, although againI think it may be a different definition taken by governing bodies.

The Scottish Cup being played though really stretches things to breaking point, how some of the clubs involved can claim to be elite in any way is a mystery. I don't think there is any routine testing outside the premiership (and Hearts) which would be a good measure of elite sport I would think. If you cant justify that then its not really elite.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:48 pm

Scottish football below the Championship stopped I hear today, many of the lower tiers part time so mixing outwith the family bubble making it a nono.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum