v Zebre 23rd January

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: v Zebre 23rd January

Postby Weegie on Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:28 pm

JDCSR wrote:Shame to see Grahamslaw and Chamberlain unused. Again.

A win is a win though. Farndale looks to have a good all round game, been solid everytime I've see him for us.

Grahamslaw is not ready yet. The issue is not that he is not deemed good enough, just that he only became a prop at U20 so has a lot to learn.

He has the basic skills, physique etc. But when he comes up against some of the gnarled old campaigners at pro level, he needs more than that.
Last edited by Weegie on Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:34 pm

Watched the game in peace this morning.

Looked like shoulder to chin. In current environment it is red, players have to go lower. From Taylor both arms attempted to wrap but he was too upright.

What we don't see is that being a red all the time when it needs to be to get the tackles lower.

Thought performance was better than live viewing as well, away from home, played quarter of the match a man down to get a win is a good result. We are pretty dull to watch but it is an away win and keeps us in the hunt for champions Cup qualification.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:57 pm

Weegie wrote:

A win is a win though. Farndale looks to have a good all round game, been solid everytime I've see him for us.

Grahamslaw is not ready yet. The issue is not that he is not deemed good enough, just that he only became a prop at U20 so has a lot to learn.

He has the basic skills, physique etc. But when he comes up against some of the gnarled old campaigners at pro level, he needs more than that.

he played both Loose and Tight head for Eng U18s
If he isn't read to the extent he can't be risked off the bench (ie must be a danger) then just perhaps we should question why he is on it
He is nearly 22. The gnarled old campaigners at TH for Zebre are just 24 and 25, both had played loads more by Grahamlaw's age (diff teams with diff options accepted, and diff players are ready at diff ages). Fagerson just turned 25 c30 caps (capped at 20) and closing in on 100 for Glasgow
Grahamlaw's 3 benches for 19 mins looks more of a Cockerill pattern than anything else, but the one viable excuse for not bringing him on was being a man down after the red card, preferring to keep with experience at that point. Nothing else cuts it.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:32 pm

joe soap wrote:
Weegie wrote:

he played both Loose and Tight head for Eng U18s
If he isn't read to the extent he can't be risked off the bench (ie must be a danger) then just perhaps we should question why he is on it
He is nearly 22. The gnarled old campaigners at TH for Zebre are just 24 and 25, both had played loads more by Grahamlaw's age (diff teams with diff options accepted, and diff players are ready at diff ages). Fagerson just turned 25 c30 caps (capped at 20) and closing in on 100 for Glasgow
Grahamlaw's 3 benches for 19 mins looks more of a Cockerill pattern than anything else, but the one viable excuse for not bringing him on was being a man down after the red card, preferring to keep with experience at that point. Nothing else cuts it.

Indeed Pierre Schoeman was playing for the Bulls when he was 22.

Grahamslaw will be scrummaging against Nel and Berghan in training. And with Boan Venter coming in he's now even further down the pecking order. He'll never be ready to play if he never plays.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:37 pm

My mistake, it was U18 he switched to prop at Tigers.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:57 pm

Certainly would have taken the W and the score before the game. A few bumps along the way though.
Crying shame for Taylor, who looked as though he'd never been out with such a serious injury. But to play the full last 20 with only 14 was some effort, particularly as I was a bit unsure with some of the officiating. I thought Farndale was going to be called back for offside at one point

A few random thoughts - I take Premier Sports via Sky, and that was definitely the best quality picture from Italy I've seen - looked like proper HD. The single Irish commentator got a bit monotonous with no summariser, but was actually very decent. I think he did the Connacht / Ospreys game this afternoon and seemed to call that pretty neutrally as well.

Couldn't believe Zebre took Canna off - his short kicking game was showing VDW the way to deal with a rush defence, particularly with a relatively inexperienced full back.

But the off pitch highlight of the match for me was the Edinburgh coaches laptops - "Your name could be here". Laughed my socks off - let's hope they get a deal from it :lol:
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:56 am

The Chiel wrote:
But the off pitch highlight of the match for me was the Edinburgh coaches laptops - "Your name could be here". Laughed my socks off - let's hope they get a deal from it :lol:

if Cockerill has to watch on TV again, I'm told Chamberlain will be buying one of those spaces
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:07 pm

Taylor 3 match ban
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:41 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Taylor 3 match ban

Seems a bit harsh compared with similar bans for more serious offences, but I guess not unexpected. I see the A team game counts as one of the 3.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum