Dragons v Edinburgh 12th Feb 1935

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Dragons v Edinburgh 12th Feb 1935

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:55 pm

Premier Sports 1

MATCH OFFICIALS
Referee: Adam Jones (WRU, 9th competition game)
Assistant Referees: Nigel Owens, Dan Jones (both WRU)
TMO: Rhys Thomas (WRU)

Kinghorn injured but expected to be fit in a week which is why he was released.

Also in article no mention of mcallum as a LH, grahamslaw is though, so perhaps McCallum is now definitely a TH

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-club ... ns-up-next
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Dragons v Edinburgh 12th Feb 1935

Postby JDCSR on Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:31 pm

Sutherland
Schoeman
Venter
Grahamslaw

Nel
De Bruin
McCallum
Gamble

It's a bit early to tell on de Bruin and Venter but I think our prop stocks for next season look very strong indeed. I hope Gamble and Grahamslaw can push on though and we see McCallum back at his best. Sutherland and Fagerson are superb but we've got very few Scottish props coming through our system.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:52 pm

JDCSR wrote: we've got very few Scottish props coming through our system.

over the last 4 or 5 years I'd say we have had been blessed with good props who can hold their own at U20 level. Something that was not always the case. Not enough have moved up to full contracts -for me both disappointing and surprising. But if the SRU keep signing bok (or Arg or NZ) props, the problem will continue. And if the likes of McCallum and Bhatti, both good enough to play for their country and acquit themselves well, keep getting mucked about instead of being replaced by non scots, it again ain't going to improve
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:10 pm

Game is off due to frozen pitch.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:17 pm

Just got that message, I’ll now have to talk to the wife instead. :x
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:14 pm

joe soap wrote:
JDCSR wrote: we've got very few Scottish props coming through our system.

over the last 4 or 5 years I'd say we have had been blessed with good props who can hold their own at U20 level. Something that was not always the case. Not enough have moved up to full contracts -for me both disappointing and surprising. But if the SRU keep signing bok (or Arg or NZ) props, the problem will continue. And if the likes of McCallum and Bhatti, both good enough to play for their country and acquit themselves well, keep getting mucked about instead of being replaced by non scots, it again ain't going to improve

Does McCallum get mucked about or is he injured? I think it's a concern he didn't get ahead of Cecerelli who lets be real was a journeyman.

Bhatti the same he's just not Kebble or Schoeman. There's definitely an issue with getting guys from the under20s to the pros and lacking a real testing development arena like A teams.

An interesting tidbit from ToL who had the team and Matt Currie was 23. 19 year old getting in ahead of Gordon. High hopes for him I believe.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:24 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:

Does McCallum get mucked about or is he injured? I think it's a concern he didn't get ahead of Cecerelli who lets be real was a journeyman.

Bhatti the same he's just not Kebble or Schoeman. There's definitely an issue with getting guys from the under20s to the pros and lacking a real testing development arena like A teams.

An interesting tidbit from ToL who had the team and Matt Currie was 23. 19 year old getting in ahead of Gordon. High hopes for him I believe.

McCallum - which side of the scrum is he suppose to be prepping for this month? How often has it changed?
Bhatti isn't Kebble or Schoeman. So what, He was 3rd choice behind one, then the other, next season behind the first again it seems. He is a very good level to be 3rd choice anywhere, and I mean anywhere. But Edin have signed another Bok which looks like why he was released. And in today's climate Bhatti won't be expensive, capped or not

we can't whinge about young Scottish props not coming through when we treat them like this
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:04 am

joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:

McCallum - which side of the scrum is he suppose to be prepping for this month? How often has it changed?
Bhatti isn't Kebble or Schoeman. So what, He was 3rd choice behind one, then the other, next season behind the first again it seems. He is a very good level to be 3rd choice anywhere, and I mean anywhere. But Edin have signed another Bok which looks like why he was released. And in today's climate Bhatti won't be expensive, capped or not

we can't whinge about young Scottish props not coming through when we treat them like this

He's a TH unless injuries.

Not sure about Bhatti at all. There's a reason Glasgow didn't fancy him and then Edinburgh didn't either. And that reason will be he's just not that good. Let's not forget he was replacing Daryl Marfo for Scotland. They need opportunities to play at a good standard before they play PRO14. A years bridge from the 20s to fully pro.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum