Edinburgh v Scarlets sat 27th 12 noon

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets sat 27th 12 noon

Postby The Nudger on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:10 pm

I like Jacob because of his commitment and physicality but realistically would he start for any other side in the Pro14?
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:41 pm

The Nudger wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
The Nudger wrote:Really? When Hodge left the Scotland role they immediately started scoring more tries and Edinburgh started scoring fewer. No change in Head Coach in either case.

Correlation isn't causation. When Hodge left Scotland it coincided with the team improving all across the squad with depth and experience.

If you think a new backs coach will change the gameplan from forward dominated to all signing all dancing prime Glasgow Warriors I refer you to Richard Cockerill's Leicester tenure.

Not saying he should stay. But he's not the biggest current problem. We also don't have good backs - VdW is a poor passer, as are all the centres - quite hard for much width when that is the case.

Same 2 sets of players, same head coaches but in both cases that group of players score fewer tries with Hodge as their attack coach than with another. Surely that is correlation!

Particularly damning when one of those attack coaches is Alan Solomons!

I'm not saying that we need to go full Glasgow Warriors but I am saying that no matter how conservative our game plan when we do attack it should be incisive, well drilled and accurate. Most of the time we look completely clueless and lethargic attack, contrast with the defence which even when it goes wrong still looks energetic and structured.

Some salient points being Scotland played more 2015/16 as it was a world cup season. So I hope they'd score more tries. And his first year at Edinburgh Visser wasn't there I don't believe who scored all the tries at the time.

The attack does look bad - but it's not Duncan Hodge telling the forwards to pick and go pick and go pick and go. If you go forward pick and go some more, if you go backwards maybe give it to the backs with a defensive line charging up. It's not Duncan Hodge telling his 10 to panic everytime you have to make a pass or totally bottle a game winning DG.

My biggest problem with Hodge is often we run set moved behind the game line. Also, the lack of basic skills is sometimes stark but the players other than Graham lack any sort of invention. But the problems we have are Richard Cockerill far more than Hodge. The backs are individually worse but structurally the same as last year.

And the defence has been jamesmatthew this year. Last few weeks is the only time it's been kind of acceptable but the Scarlets still cut throw numerous times. But nobody mentions McRae because we all like him.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:16 pm

Think it's just about all been said, but one of my big gripes is it's very difficult to play any sort of running game when the basic passing down the line is so poor.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Rasho on Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:49 am

Surely when we see Jaco so deep he's 20 yards back receiving the ball, but for Scotland he played flat in the Autumn, the backs coaching ftom Hodgr is to blame.
Rasho
Established pro

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:33 am

Rasho wrote:Surely when we see Jaco so deep he's 20 yards back receiving the ball, but for Scotland he played flat in the Autumn, the backs coaching ftom Hodgr is to blame.

If Hodge was having Jaco stand 20 metres behind the line and Cockers was not happy with it then Jaco would not stand 20 metres behind the line.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:34 am

The Chiel wrote:Think it's just about all been said, but one of my big gripes is it's very difficult to play any sort of running game when the basic passing down the line is so poor.

Exactly! We don't have a good passer in the team. This season is going VdW to be a painfully average 10.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:37 pm

Incandescent about that game. It really was Edinburgh in a nutshell.

For all the world it looked like a first game of the season. For the first game, execution is often slightly off due to lack of actual execution under game conditions. Even in the circumstances, there is no excuse for that now.

There was so much that was done sloppily, you wonder if skills are ever practiced in training. Whatever the cause, too much broke down on poor execution, and too much was handed to Scarlets by the same.

Players do not seem to have any instinct for the game. This is clearly not true, but time and again I was left wondering where the support runners were, why no one had realised the SH was caught in a scrum etc. Or maybe it is a lack of focus, I just do not know.

The last few minutes summed it up. There was an opportunity to set up a reasonably close range drop goal. But rather than executing quickly and precisely the way Minster et al would have, Edinburgh went on and on and on repeating the same pick and go that was getting no change from the Scarlets, and was in fact driving them back. Remind me wat the definition of madness is again? Edinburgh never seemed to even think about it until way too late.

Shiel brought real pace onto the game when he came on. Got to the breakdown fast and then moved the ball fast. Then he stopped and adopted the standard Edinburgh 'stand at the back of a ruck waving my arms till the opposition is fully set' approach. I assume he had received instructions.

Really fed up, and my glass has suddenly gone from half full to half empty.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:40 pm

Hastings has done us all a favour and got VdW as Scotland's unused sub for the next few weeks. Let's go Chamberlain and Savala!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:14 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Hastings has done us all a favour and got VdW as Scotland's unused sub for the next few weeks. Let's go Chamberlain and Savala!

The downside is that no way will Shiel start with either of them.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:44 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Hastings has done us all a favour and got VdW as Scotland's unused sub for the next few weeks. Let's go Chamberlain and Savala!

The downside is that no way will Shiel start with either of them.

Maybe but also there's no more "this is a big game we can get in the playoffs" as we definitely can't. Cockers isn't under pressure he's not going to lose his job so maybe he'll see the best thing he can do is give young guys much more gametime and see what they can do to prepare for next season.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum