Racing 92 v Edinburgh Sunday 4th of April, 12:30 pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Racing 92 v Edinburgh Sunday 4th of April, 12:30 pm

Postby The Incredible Shug on Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:52 pm

The Nudger wrote:Benefit of having proper Edinburgh boys in the team!

True. I'm really hoping Hoyland will get some decent minutes with Scotland this summer, he's class.

I have no idea why Bennett was benched today.
Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!
User avatar
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:12 am

Re: Racing 92 v Edinburgh Sunday 4th of April, 12:30 pm

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:54 pm

For what it's worth, some observations:

http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and current sponsor of @rory_darge

#lovinthescrummin
User avatar
Martin Bell
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:27 pm
Location: @TheEmbraExpress

Re: Racing 92 v Edinburgh Sunday 4th of April, 12:30 pm

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:00 pm

Trophyhunter wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Trophyhunter wrote:Forwards overpowered by outstanding pack and backs at a different level . Heroic Hoyland did well , midfield looked like schoolboys by comparison to their magnificent opponents. Important to stay positive and all take on and work on learnings from experience.


We conceded 56 points and scored 3... Stay positive?!?!



FFS . what is the alternative to being humble , learn and being positive ? ... losers limp , blame someone, make excuses?


Call a sh*te performance a sh*te performance? Be disappointed at the players for totally collapsing? Want everyone to show some passion? Some pride?

A professional team shipping 56 points is utterly unacceptable. Racing are good. And we really shouldn't have been on the same pitch as them. But come on. 56-3 FFS.
Last edited by Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Racing 92 v Edinburgh Sunday 4th of April, 12:30 pm

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:03 pm

The Incredible Shug wrote:
The Nudger wrote:Benefit of having proper Edinburgh boys in the team!

True. I'm really hoping Hoyland will get some decent minutes with Scotland this summer, he's class.

I have no idea why Bennett was benched today.


In the last two years I really don't think Bennett has been noticeably much better than Johnstone.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Racing 92 v Edinburgh Sunday 4th of April, 12:30 pm

Postby BigD163 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:27 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Call a sh*te performance a sh*te performance? Be disappointed at the players for totally collapsing? Want everyone to show some passion? Some pride?

A professional team shipping 56 points is utterly unacceptable. Racing are good. And we really shouldn't have been on the same pitch as them. But come on. 56-3 FFS.


Yep embarrassing.

Bar Rambo and Toolis/Davidson (on form) that was the 1st choice pack that was routed.

Cockerill has pretty much been allowed to invest heavily up front and build a lot of depth while 10-13 are suffering (even allowing for the Lance issue which was a balls up).

We can hope it is covid season related but I fear this is the start of a regression from last year.
BigD163
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 887
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 10:07 am

Re: Racing 92 v Edinburgh Sunday 4th of April, 12:30 pm

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:37 am

We have been making a lot of unforced errors all season but in the Pro14 the opposition, in general, are not good enough to punish us anywhere near as ruthlessly as Racing did.

I thought a number of our players looked knackered and i appreciate through injury and international our squad has been stretched but our basic skills and decision making at times is just not good enough. Poor passes, poor control in contact, support non-existent or ahead of tackled player.

JJs "try" at the start was a really nice move and we have seen a few off first phase at times this season but we are so easy to defend in phase play the ball just goes through hands across the pitch then back the other way. As soon as a defender rushes to stop the ball going wide we just go tight until one way or another, turned over, knocked on, kicked possession is given away.

We aint going to match Racing, but hopefully our coaches took note of the ruck speed and how quick ball gave momentum and easy yards.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Racing 92 v Edinburgh Sunday 4th of April, 12:30 pm

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:16 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:We have been making a lot of unforced errors all season but in the Pro14 the opposition, in general, are not good enough to punish us anywhere near as ruthlessly as Racing did.

I thought a number of our players looked knackered and i appreciate through injury and international our squad has been stretched but our basic skills and decision making at times is just not good enough. Poor passes, poor control in contact, support non-existent or ahead of tackled player.

JJs "try" at the start was a really nice move and we have seen a few off first phase at times this season but we are so easy to defend in phase play the ball just goes through hands across the pitch then back the other way. As soon as a defender rushes to stop the ball going wide we just go tight until one way or another, turned over, knocked on, kicked possession is given away.

We aint going to match Racing, but hopefully our coaches took note of the ruck speed and how quick ball gave momentum and easy yards.


I think Glasgow and Edinburgh have decided the season is just a write off as the mentality has not been there from either. As you say so many little mistakes, so many mental mistakes, Glasgow's discipline has been appalling. Our defence has gone from never say die to right this way sir.

Very disappointing.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 2483
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Racing 92 v Edinburgh Sunday 4th of April, 12:30 pm

Postby odw26 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:18 pm

Grant Gilchrist was named in the team of the week for the last round of matches- anyone else surprised by that?
odw26
Embra Debut
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:22 pm

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests