Rainbow Cup Games

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Rainbow Cup Games

Postby liveinhope on Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:56 pm

Well spotted (Bennett)-yes does seem odd given 23 are out.Presumably a handful of the 23 out are due to covid/isolating?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:54 pm

BigD163 wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote::.

Good match for Kinghorn to be at 10, nothing at stake for ER so he can just play and if Shiel can keep the tempo up can see Kinghorn asking questions of the defence...although have visions of a few high risk plays perhaps not coming off as well.

Not sure what the point is in playing BK at 10 here. Is he being considered as cover for next year? Otherwise it is just depriving Chamberlain of another start.

Bennett not good enough to even make the bench?

Cockers just doesn't think Chamberlain is good enough to be playing rugby for us.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:32 am

Ross Thompson isn’t even on the Glasgow site team list, but he played well in their defeat of one of the best sides in Europe last night. Okay he threw two passes to empty turf, but overall he managed the game well and has had a good run. They could have played Scotland fly half Hastings but no, they fielded the young lad and he is growing with every game.

By contrast we are fielding a fullback who has been playing below his very high ceiling, with the guy who took over the U20 fly half jersey from Thompson sitting on the pine.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:23 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Cockers just doesn't think Chamberlain is good enough to be playing rugby for us.

Appears to be the case.

I really don't get where this is going.The only possible reason I can think of is that Townsend has asked for Kinghorn to get time at 10. If Chamberlain can't get a start tonight in a glorified friendly, there is simply no point in holding him back by keeping him. As the current phrase goes, he's become a professional trainer.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:54 pm

The Chiel wrote:

Appears to be the case.

I really don't get where this is going.The only possible reason I can think of is that Townsend has asked for Kinghorn to get time at 10. If Chamberlain can't get a start tonight in a glorified friendly, there is simply no point in holding him back by keeping him. As the current phrase goes, he's become a professional trainer.

Nah I don't think Townsend has anything to do with it. Surely Townsend would want him to play fullback as he's not played well there recently.

I think being fair to Cockers Kinghorn has looked capable at 10 and has probably been our most attacking 10 so if we're looking to run around today might be the best option.

I will say on TH's point Ross Thomson had the 3/4 of a super six season to develop if we're being very charitable to Cockers that was likely the plan to Chamberlain. But back to Cockers inability to play youth did anyone else see how good Darge has been the last 3 games? Miller has been good but did we actually achieve much playing him over Boyle/Darge? No.

What is frustrating for me is next year Glasgow are going to be able to know Lambert, Darge, Dobie, Thomson, Forbes, McLean are of a good standard and will be very close to the first 23. They were all given quite a bit of time, all allowed to make mistakes and get back in the side too. Some of which was not by design that's true. Whereas which young player has been given consistent opportunity and we know yes he'll be there or there abouts here? I think Hodgson and Sykes are the only two and when GG, Toolis and Young rock up they'll likely not play much. There's a caveat as Currie probably plays more if he doesn't get injured after a fantastic debut. And to be fair to Cockers he's playing an 18 year old hooker tonight and has shown clear faith with Harrison. But we go into next season with promising young guys really no further along. Whereas Glasgow's season was saved from being also fairly disastrous to quite promising and some excitement for next year by their youngsters.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:11 pm

The Chiel wrote:

Appears to be the case.

Nah I don't think Townsend has anything to do with it. Surely Townsend would want him to play fullback as he's not played well there recently.

I think being fair to Cockers Kinghorn has looked capable at 10 and has probably been our most attacking 10 so if we're looking to run around today might be the best option.

I will say on TH's point Ross Thomson had the 3/4 of a super six season to develop if we're being very charitable to Cockers that was likely the plan to Chamberlain. But back to Cockers inability to play youth did anyone else see how good Darge has been the last 3 games? Miller has been good but did we actually achieve much playing him over Boyle/Darge? No.

What is frustrating for me is next year Glasgow are going to be able to know Lambert, Darge, Dobie, Thomson, Forbes, McLean are of a good standard and will be very close to the first 23. They were all given quite a bit of time, all allowed to make mistakes and get back in the side too. Some of which was not by design that's true. Whereas which young player has been given consistent opportunity and we know yes he'll be there or there abouts here? I think Hodgson and Sykes are the only two and when GG, Toolis and Young rock up they'll likely not play much. There's a caveat as Currie probably plays more if he doesn't get injured after a fantastic debut. And to be fair to Cockers he's playing an 18 year old hooker tonight and has shown clear faith with Harrison. But we go into next season with promising young guys really no further along. Whereas Glasgow's season was saved from being also fairly disastrous to quite promising and some excitement for next year by their youngsters.

Can't argue that Cockers is conservative but when comparing with Glasgow, bear in mind that they are going through a transition with a new coach and will have something like 22 players leaving at the end of this season. Our squad is obviously in a more settled position.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:11 pm

True. A lot of the players off are depth players though and guys on two way deals or academy deals as their squad is currently at 65 players. I'm going to guess we'll have at least 17 players off too. Look at the players actually leaving and it'd a handful of starters.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ian Kealtley here next year.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:24 pm

What a start!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:59 pm

Some really good play from us, some dumb play and Whitehouse being Whitehouse.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:11 pm

robdinsdale wrote:Some really good play from us, some dumb play and Whitehouse being Whitehouse.

He's been awful need Cockers to have one of his angry post matches.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:14 pm

robdinsdale wrote:Some really good play from us, some dumb play and Whitehouse being Whitehouse.

Trying to win the game in one half, Ulster sealing the ball off at a lot(most) breakdowns. Ben being himself, lottery decisions..
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:29 pm

There is absolutely no danger of Duhan making a tackle is there.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:03 pm

Game on.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:10 pm

Well done Ben Whitehouse.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:12 pm

Not sure about that one, to be honest, wouldn't have complained if the penalty had been given.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum