Scarlets v Edinburgh Sunday 1pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Scarlets v Edinburgh Sunday 1pm

Postby Weegie on Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:10 pm

I thought Edinburgh were going to lose a game they should have won due to errors and a lack of precision, along with a good dollop of silly penalties. Scoring two tries in the last 5 to draw is very un-Edinburgh but pleasing.

I thought all the youngsters showed up well, but hopefully this is the end of Kinghorn at 10. I know he used to play there when he was younger, but there was a reason he was moved to fullback.

A few mistakes and rawness shown by some of the young guys, but allied with those off to the U20s, it does rather make you wonder why they have seen so little gametime so far.

I take it that Shiel is under orders to play like a slower version of Pyrgos.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:11 pm

Quick, possibly counterintuitive, thoughts: http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/matchday/reports
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:12 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
sammy wrote:Why oh why are we letting Eroni Sau go. Letting go our best players is becoming a thing. I'd rather lose Matta or even Kinghorn.

I can only assume it's budget-related, and yeah, we can offload two backrowers to Glasgow and still have a great deal of depth there, but the back three is looking gie thin now.

Having said that, the young wingers and fullback laddies have all acquitted themselves well in the last few weeks, just few seniors players there

Mark Palmer said it was budget reasons. Also he is 31 now, I assume Immelmann is his replacement. Rowe should stay though he looked handy.

Was quite an entertaining game. I think Kinghorn has to be more involved from 15 - the way Glasgow used Hastings. He's shown he can be an interesting distributor but don't think he controls a game too well.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:12 pm

Sau is the type of player that punters play to watch though. He also demonstrably gives his all and leads by example :( The lose one of or best wingers is one thing, to lose both... I'm also in the camp of losing faith with the coaches.

If you're good enough it shouldn't matter your age, he's not showing his age on the pitch far from it.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:29 pm

I thought Blain was superb.Showed a physicality that perhaps hadn't been quite so obvious in earlier games.Excellent under high ball.A little unlucky with the yellow card.
Draw was absolutely a fair result.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:15 pm

Weegie wrote:I thought Edinburgh were going to lose a game they should have won due to errors and a lack of precision, along with a good dollop of silly penalties. Scoring two tries in the last 5 to draw is very un-Edinburgh but pleasing.

I thought all the youngsters showed up well, but hopefully this is the end of Kinghorn at 10. I know he used to play there when he was younger, but there was a reason he was moved to fullback.

A few mistakes and rawness shown by some of the young guys, but allied with those off to the U20s, it does rather make you wonder why they have seen so little gametime so far.

Agreed, half back is a bit of a concern for us. If JvdW is going to be away with Scotland even more so. Shiel seems to make an impact more as a sub but that's true of a lot of 9s. It's decision making that Shiel needs to work on, he has everything else.

On the plus side our centres are shaping up nicely with Hutchison and Currie.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:27 pm

I don't think we have to worry about any our halfbacks being away with Scotland, though we should be worried that none of them are playing well enough to be away with Scotland. We might have a situation next season where Glasgow have 3 better options at both halves than us.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:43 pm

gowrie wrote:I don't think we have to worry about any our halfbacks being away with Scotland, though we should be worried that none of them are playing well enough to be away with Scotland. We might have a situation next season where Glasgow have 3 better options at both halves than us.

I would rather have Weir, Thomson and Mioti than VdW that's for sure.

I do think Shiel could become really good though, he's threatening to. He just needs to get his decision making as he has all the physical gifts.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:34 am

sammy wrote:Sau is the type of player that punters play to watch though. He also demonstrably gives his all and leads by example :( The lose one of or best wingers is one thing, to lose both... I'm also in the camp of losing faith with the coaches.

If you're good enough it shouldn't matter your age, he's not showing his age on the pitch far from it.

Sau also offers something a bit different as a Fijian in terms of style of play.

I wonder if with Immelman coming in we have some limitations about how many non-Scottish qualified players we can have in the back 3.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:38 am

Weegie wrote:I thought Edinburgh were going to lose a game they should have won due to errors and a lack of precision, along with a good dollop of silly penalties. Scoring two tries in the last 5 to draw is very un-Edinburgh but pleasing.

I think when they are in the younger ranks the best players in the team are played in the most influential positions, in this case Blair at 10, they often find their true positions later.
This may sound daft but I think Kinghorn is too quick to play 10 anyway, he is much more effective in open prairie, you don't get that quarter of a second at flyhalf, it's better to use him as the occasional first receiver, it's a great option to have.

Regarding your last sentence, yeah it's very striking that Shiel has slowed up his delivery, it can only be under orders because he still has the instinct to ping it away immediately, you can almost see him fighting it.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:35 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Mark Palmer said it was budget reasons. Also he is 31 now, I assume Immelmann is his replacement. Rowe should stay though he looked handy.

Surely Immelman was a replacement for Duhan?
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:47 am

Tichtheid wrote:
Regarding your last sentence, yeah it's very striking that Shiel has slowed up his delivery, it can only be under orders because he still has the instinct to ping it away immediately, you can almost see him fighting it.

He has to wait - there's no urgency from runners and options getting into position so there's no-one to pass it to when he arrives.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:55 am

bignose wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

He has to wait - there's no urgency from runners and options getting into position so there's no-one to pass it to when he arrives.

That must come from coaching, or lack of it, if no one is ready to play the quick ball.

What makes it more annoying is that for a couple of games we started very well (Glasgow and Ulster) were we had runners picking the right timing and lines to blow the opposition open, then we reverted to type and looked very blunt in attack.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum