Rory Sutherland

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Rory Sutherland

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:07 pm

Is off the Worcester for next season:

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-club ... urgh-rugby

A real shame.

Worcester must've paid money though as he wasn't ooc?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Re: Rory Sutherland

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:14 pm

After his injury history can't blame him for taking a payday.

Obviously very disappointing to lose him from ER.

Wonder if we will have budget to sign anyone else replacement LH or otherwise?

Edit: on a slightly cynical note timing of announcement a bit stinky re season ticket sales.
Last edited by The Feral Goat on Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:16 pm

Yup Worcester have been throwing mega bucks around this year. Heard a rumour Alex Alan had bought a house in Edinburgh. Not 100% reliable source but a good 85%. Wonder if they will look to replace him in the squad or rely on the youngsters alongside Shoo and Venter. Got to assume that Shoo will be with Scotland for much of the season so Rory will likely have to be replaced with some experience and at less cost?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:20 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Edit: on a slightly cynical note timing of announcement a bit stinky re season ticket sales.

Or good timing given he is about to embark on an 8 game tour of South Africa on hard fast tracks and at altitude?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:47 pm

Wottie wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Edit: on a slightly cynical note timing of announcement a bit stinky re season ticket sales.

Or good timing given he is about to embark on an 8 game tour of South Africa on hard fast tracks and at altitude?

Appreciate he would not have played much for ER next season it was more around the marketing of Season Tickrts etc and our "Lions" of which only one may actually play for ER.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:05 pm

I used to jkingly refer to Worcester as Edinburgh 2nds. Now it is Edinburgh 1sts.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:31 pm

Timing definitely seems suspect, are we getting short on experienced front row, is he last to leave?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:34 pm

Didn't he still have a year left of his contract to go? In which case surely Worcester are paying some compensation to the SRU (a la Denton)?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:22 pm

There are a few questions on this really and we'll probably never know the answer:

1. Why wait until now to announce it? It has been rumoured for a while and unlikely the deal was done today.

2. Are Worcester buying him out his deal? I don't think fees count in the salary cap anymore so would hope so.

3. Why is a senior international and British Lion looking to leave to play for a team towards the bottom of the English Prem and giving up the protection of being rested regularly? Is it "only" money (if so fair enough), or is it something deeper than that?

4. Will the money be reinvested? That is two of the three Lions left and not really replaced.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:05 pm

I read somewhere that the last year of his deal was optional and that he wanted to take the offer from Worcester instead.

I don't think we can put this move just down to money. Solomons wasn't popular with the fans by the end, but I get the impression that he was genuinely well-liked by at least some of the players, and it sounds like Sutherland and him have kept in touch over the subsequent years. Those kind of relations do make a difference.

This does probably leave us short, numbers wise. When is Auterac's contract up down at Saints? You would presume that he is on the SRU radar now that he has declared for Scotland.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:14 pm

robdinsdale wrote:I read somewhere that the last year of his deal was optional and that he wanted to take the offer from Worcester instead.

I don't think we can put this move just down to money. Solomons wasn't popular with the fans by the end, but I get the impression that he was genuinely well-liked by at least some of the players, and it sounds like Sutherland and him have kept in touch over the subsequent years. Those kind of relations do make a difference.

This does probably leave us short, numbers wise. When is Auterac's contract up down at Saints? You would presume that he is on the SRU radar now that he has declared for Scotland.

Maybe for season 22/23 but he'll be under contract as saints didn't announce he was leaving.

It'll be Alex Allen.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:39 pm

Obviously really disappointing.

Genuinely think if he'd hung on and showed off his ability on the Lions tour he'd be going somewhere way better than Worcester.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:48 am

Worcester do seem to be throwing money around, so a big pay rise and gauranteed to be no 1 is not to be sniffed at. In terms of a bigger club, if he plays well next season that may well come anyway.

Having said that it does feel like a punch in the guts, he has been one of my favourite players for a few years, he is just technically so good and does the basics really well. I think he will continue to flourish.

In a way his injuries hav possiby made him better, but he was always a real talent. By all accounts a vry nice guy too.

While I dont grudge him the payday, i know he has a young family, but Id rather he had stayed.

n terms of our squad, I think if we have Venter and Shoee, we should run with the youngsters other than that. Can always bring in a loanee if we get injuries,but it feels overkill to have another experienced prop on the books at the moment. Although Alex Allan at the right price woudlnt be a bad option either.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:56 am

The Feral Goat wrote:
Edit: on a slightly cynical note timing of announcement a bit stinky re season ticket sales.

yes, Worcester arranged the timing of the announcement to stuff Edin ST purchasers.

The deal may have been subject to stuff we don't know about (like a medical), or it might simply be that Worc timed the announcement to boost their ST sales. The receiving team control official signing announcements, Edin have often staggered them as well to give a comms plan regular stuff.

Disappointing though, very, but maybe not a surprise
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:58 am

joe soap wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:

yes, Worcester arranged the timing of the announcement to stuff Edin ST purchasers.

The deal may have been subject to stuff we don't know about (like a medical), or it might simply be that Worc timed the announcement to boost their ST sales. The receiving team control official signing announcements, Edin have often staggered them as well to give a comms plan regular stuff.

Disappointing though, very, but maybe not a surprise

Absolutely huge opportunity for Sam Grahamslaw now as well.

Venter looked pretty good so far as well. We need another LH but might be okay.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum