Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2021-22

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2021-22

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:14 pm

Mesu Kunavula has signed a contract extension. The report states that he joins Bill Mata in committing his long-term future to the club.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:09 pm

macdone wrote:Jamie Dobie not in the Glasgow matchday squad again. Coming to the DAM, learning under Mike Blair makes too much sense To me. I'm still flogging that horse.

Cockerill wanted Dobie for Edinburgh. Rennie simply outbid him. I have no idea what he is on now but I think Edinburgh would be disinclined to match it given they have Vellacott, Pyrgos and Shiel.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:23 pm

Think I read somewhere that Dobie had opted for Glasgow on the strength of his University options. Understand same applies to Thompson.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:11 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Mesu Kunavula has signed a contract extension. The report states that he joins Bill Mata in committing his long-term future to the club.

Only 26 as well hopefully he stays injury free and gets some more game time.

Where did you see the Mata comment, i have not seen it was wondering if it has been removed as spoiled a big announcement.

Lawrie acknowledged other clubs are looking at Bradbury, will be interesting to see if we retain him or not.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:24 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Mesu Kunavula has signed a contract extension. The report states that he joins Bill Mata in committing his long-term future to the club.

Only 26 as well hopefully he stays injury free and gets some more game time.

Where did you see the Mata comment, i have not seen it was wondering if it has been removed as spoiled a big announcement.

Lawrie acknowledged other clubs are looking at Bradbury, will be interesting to see if we retain him or not.

The Mata comment is on the club website:

The back-row recently returned from a knee injury sustained during last November’s Autumn International against Spain and joins fellow Fijian star Viliame Mata in committing his long-term future to the club.

I reckon Bradbury will be away if we have plenty of other options with our Fijians and Muncaster coming through.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:33 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
The Mata comment is on the club website:

The back-row recently returned from a knee injury sustained during last November’s Autumn International against Spain and joins fellow Fijian star Viliame Mata in committing his long-term future to the club.

I reckon Bradbury will be away if we have plenty of other options with our Fijians and Muncaster coming through.

Cheers, i had better get my overdue eye test booked!
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:30 pm

Signed Fraser Armstrong on loan to cover Nel's six nations involvement and De Bruin's injury.

Angus Williams isn't up to much and neither is Atalifo.

But there's no way the SRU should've sanctioned this. At some point we need to play Scottish players at front row or you end up with Javan Sebastian an injury away from playing in the six nations.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:49 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Signed Fraser Armstrong on loan to cover Nel's six nations involvement and De Bruin's injury.

But there's no way the SRU should've sanctioned this. At some point we need to play Scottish players at front row or you end up with Javan Sebastian an injury away from playing in the six nations.

Atalifo can do a job, but I'm not too sure about Williams. The scrum has struggled a bit when him and Courtney are on the pitch, which is fair enough really, there is obviously a gap between Super 6 and URC.

We do have Dan Gamble away at London Scottish getting some game time at an appropriate level.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:50 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Signed Fraser Armstrong on loan to cover Nel's six nations involvement and De Bruin's injury.

First of all it's Bristol's Jake Armstrong who has joined o loan not Fraser Armstrong of the Highlanders.

Secondly Euan McLaren has also joined up from the Super 6.

Seems a reasonable balance of getting a young Scottish player and a more seasoned pro in.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:23 pm

JDCSR wrote:

First of all it's Bristol's Jake Armstrong who has joined o loan not Fraser Armstrong of the Highlanders.

Secondly Euan McLaren has also joined up from the Super 6.

Seems a reasonable balance of getting a young Scottish player and a more seasoned pro in.

Armstrong will play and McLaren won't now though. I'm guessing it'll be Armstrong/ Williams or Atalifo on the bench. We didn't sign Armstrong because McLaren is a super promising player we can't wait to give gametime too and Armstrong can be fourth choice otherwise why on earth would Bristol send him here.

Scotland will continue to rely on South Africans at prop unless the pro team coaches are told to bite the bullet and play a Scottish player. Poor management. Disappointing also as McLaren was legitimately good in the super6. I guess this is how highly the coaches rate that comp for all the spin.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:39 pm

Has McLaren played since the S6? To throw him in v Leinster and Munster would be a massive ask.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:09 pm

BigD163 wrote:Has McLaren played since the S6? To throw him in v Leinster and Munster would be a massive ask.

No he hasn't (he's been training with Glasgow) and yes it would a massive ask.

But if he doesn't play against Leinster or Munster he isn't going to play against Glasgow either and then Nel and De Bruin are back and then he doesn't play until the next super6 IF he wants to continue with the semi pro lifecycle which is a big ask.

If players don't play, they'll never get better. I want to add I have nothing against Schoeman, Nel, Kebble, Dell, McBeth, Venter and De Bruin. Nel and Schoeman will leave as club legends and I'd clone Nel tomorrow for another 10 year of WP for Scotland.

But signing South Africans and bringing in loans or championship/back up English prep props at the expense of actually actively developing young SQ props brought through the national system is going to end in tears. It already kind of is Javan Sebastian gads man.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:59 am

I agree it is a fine line and hard to get right. Would we be happier to not have Venter & DeBriun but be sitting 4/5th? Where do we draw the line.

I think prop is getting to the point where something has to be done, we are too reliant on imports. At a quick look Glasgow have 3 "home grown" props, 2 play regularly and 1 in the academy. We have none in the senior squad and 3 in the academy.

We obviusly have the likes of Sutherland, Hislop, McCallum & Rae all playing in England (sure there will be more) so we can produce some.

Dan Gamble going on loan is the right thing and I dont think we are doing enough of that. I know we are limited in what we can do with London Scottish, but I dont think it would be that hard to commit to sending 5 players a season down to them, and making sure a coupleo f them are props. Its still not fully time rugby, but it is a decent standard and will gve them the hardening they need. So when we do need them vs Leinster at least they are not completely raw.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:34 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I agree it is a fine line and hard to get right. Would we be happier to not have Venter & DeBriun but be sitting 4/5th? Where do we draw the line.

I think prop is getting to the point where something has to be done, we are too reliant on imports. At a quick look Glasgow have 3 "home grown" props, 2 play regularly and 1 in the academy. We have none in the senior squad and 3 in the academy.

We obviusly have the likes of Sutherland, Hislop, McCallum & Rae all playing in England (sure there will be more) so we can produce some.

Dan Gamble going on loan is the right thing and I dont think we are doing enough of that. I know we are limited in what we can do with London Scottish, but I dont think it would be that hard to commit to sending 5 players a season down to them, and making sure a coupleo f them are props. Its still not fully time rugby, but it is a decent standard and will gve them the hardening they need. So when we do need them vs Leinster at least they are not completely raw.

I agree that is the position the SRU have got themselves into where Edinburgh are going to drop down the league if they actually play Scottish players. Imagine that - a pro team whose primary job is to develop players for the national team avoiding playing those players because it's a detriment to the team. What a sad state of affairs.

What should have happened was Cockerill was told no, McCallum is getting a new deal. No we aren't signing Ceccerelli, no we aren't singing Atalifo. And Blair should be told no, we aren't signing Armstrong - you have McLaren. And Glasgow are told - no Pieretto is actually pretty jamesmatthew we're not replacing him with another Pieretto, we're playing Murphy Walker. Glasgow however have 6 full time SQ props to our 1 so aren't really the problem.

And yes it will be short term pain. But Scotland the national team are heading down a dangerous path if we're relying on South Africa and England developing our players. There's 3 south African born props in the squad compared to two Scottish born. We've got to the point where it's inconceivable we have professional rugby in Scotland without South African props both for the pro clubs and national team. That's not a healthy position. The strategy currently is and in my opinion absolutely cannot be project players. Again, this is nothing to do with the individuals - I like them all individually and have no qualms with them representing Scotland. But if signing South Africans to quality if the national strategy for developing props for Scotland that is rotten and in my opinion a recipe for disaster.

I agree about Gamble. If the super six isn't good enough - and the fact McLaren who was good is being looked over - proves that is the thinking today (might be good in a few years) then find another way. I personally think the SRU should start paying English clubs to play young props. It is good Gamble has gone on loan. Glasgow should send Walker and Lambert down.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:06 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:I agree it is a fine line and hard to get right. Would we be happier to not have Venter & DeBriun but be sitting 4/5th? Where do we draw the line.

I agree that is the position the SRU have got themselves into where Edinburgh are going to drop down the league if they actually play Scottish players. Imagine that - a pro team whose primary job is to develop players for the national team avoiding playing those players because it's a detriment to the team. What a sad state of affairs.

What should have happened was Cockerill was told no, McCallum is getting a new deal. No we aren't signing Ceccerelli, no we aren't singing Atalifo. And Blair should be told no, we aren't signing Armstrong - you have McLaren. And Glasgow are told - no Pieretto is actually pretty jamesmatthew we're not replacing him with another Pieretto, we're playing Murphy Walker. Glasgow however have 6 full time SQ props to our 1 so aren't really the problem.

And yes it will be short term pain. But Scotland the national team are heading down a dangerous path if we're relying on South Africa and England developing our players. There's 3 south African born props in the squad compared to two Scottish born. We've got to the point where it's inconceivable we have professional rugby in Scotland without South African props both for the pro clubs and national team. That's not a healthy position. The strategy currently is and in my opinion absolutely cannot be project players. Again, this is nothing to do with the individuals - I like them all individually and have no qualms with them representing Scotland. But if signing South Africans to quality if the national strategy for developing props for Scotland that is rotten and in my opinion a recipe for disaster.

I agree about Gamble. If the super six isn't good enough - and the fact McLaren who was good is being looked over - proves that is the thinking today (might be good in a few years) then find another way. I personally think the SRU should start paying English clubs to play young props. It is good Gamble has gone on loan. Glasgow should send Walker and Lambert down.

It wouldn't be short term pain. If the only avenue for developing props in Scotland is regularly playing semi-pro standard players and 20-year olds in the URC against Munster etc, then that's a permanent handicap for the pro teams. I'm not that interested in paying to watch Edinburgh get beaten.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum