Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2021-22

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2021-22

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed May 11, 2022 11:37 am

TheSmidge wrote:
liveinhope wrote:My thoughts exactly (the others were all already annnounced or not unexpected).
Moyano has been terrific and of course we won't see him again in the jersey as he's out injured.
Great pity,wish him well.Anyone know where he is going to? Does this mean we'll be making a new signing or ,given budgets,will it just be Academy promotions (Harry Paterson?)
(Thank goodness that means we have Boffelli for at least another year then!)

Jacob Henry is another possibility, as has done well with the 7s, though possibly some game time in the Super6 would be good for him as he’s had a tough time with injuries over the last wee while.

Disappointed to see Ramiro go as he’s been a quality acquisition but writing was on the wall when Damo signed a new contract.

Time as clearly up for Chamberlain as well, who just hasn’t made the breakthrough and has been surpassed by Savala.

Henry has already been a standout in the super6 this season. Very unconvinced he has more to prove in the super6 sprint in which Southern Knights are underperforming due to cash issues. I don't think he'll play for Edinburgh as if being a top performer in the s6 wasn't enough earlier in the year hard to see what has changed.

It's good to see Patterson back.

Shame to see Moyano go, he was great. Grahamslaw just didn't get any opportunities. It's never good to see a young Scottish qualified prop go and a championship nsq replacement but oh well.

Good luck to JJ - a great player for us considering. Did well to stick at it and have a pro career.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Wed May 11, 2022 12:09 pm

JDCSR wrote:Isn't Big George Thornton already down there?

Anyone know how he's gotten on?

Thornton is / was at Ampthill AFAIK. Adam Nicol is at Jersey, but hasn't featured much at all that I've seen.

( caveat - I'm not Disco ! :) )
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Wed May 11, 2022 1:12 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
TheSmidge wrote:
liveinhope wrote:My thoughts exactly (the others were all already annnounced or not unexpected).
Moyano has been terrific and of course we won't see him again in the jersey as he's out injured.
Great pity,wish him well.Anyone know where he is going to? Does this mean we'll be making a new signing or ,given budgets,will it just be Academy promotions (Harry Paterson?)
(Thank goodness that means we have Boffelli for at least another year then!)

Jacob Henry is another possibility, as has done well with the 7s, though possibly some game time in the Super6 would be good for him as he’s had a tough time with injuries over the last wee while.

Disappointed to see Ramiro go as he’s been a quality acquisition but writing was on the wall when Damo signed a new contract.

Time as clearly up for Chamberlain as well, who just hasn’t made the breakthrough and has been surpassed by Savala.

Henry has already been a standout in the super6 this season. Very unconvinced he has more to prove in the super6 sprint in which Southern Knights are underperforming due to cash issues. I don't think he'll play for Edinburgh as if being a top performer in the s6 wasn't enough earlier in the year hard to see what has changed.

Are you talking about last summer's Super6 or the Sprint series? He's only had 1 sub appearance in the latter, but I stand corrected about his performances in the first series as I thought he was still mainly injured. What I was getting at is the last thing I would want is someone like him getting a full-time pro contract and sitting in the stands, rather than continuing playing in the Super6, say, on a partnership deal.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed May 11, 2022 1:30 pm

TheSmidge wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
TheSmidge wrote:

Are you talking about last summer's Super6 or the Sprint series? He's only had 1 sub appearance in the latter, but I stand corrected about his performances in the first series as I thought he was still mainly injured. What I was getting at is the last thing I would want is someone like him getting a full-time pro contract and sitting in the stands, rather than continuing playing in the Super6, say, on a partnership deal.

The one over the summer and into the start of this season so the planned super6 as the sprint is the replacement for the Welsh games. He played often and was in ToLs team of the season (I think). Finished a lot of tries and showed good game understanding at 15 in the matches I saw.

Sure, but he isn't going to improve in the super6. He's already one of the better players. So he can tread water there or Edinburgh can play him. There's really the options available. And judging from this season it's treading water in the super 6 and seconded to the sevens so really he's in limbo.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Wed May 11, 2022 2:19 pm

The Chiel wrote:
JDCSR wrote:Isn't Big George Thornton already down there?

Anyone know how he's gotten on?

Thornton is / was at Ampthill AFAIK. Adam Nicol is at Jersey, but hasn't featured much at all that I've seen.

( caveat - I'm not Disco ! :) )

Ah I had indeed got the two mixed up! Shame both haven't yet developed into the players they threatened to be at under 20 level.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed May 11, 2022 2:48 pm

Been thinking since moyano is off must mean SQ incoming which can only be Henry Arundell. Well done Mike Blair and SRU for luring him to the DAM :) ....rumour starts here.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed May 11, 2022 2:53 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Been thinking since moyano is off must mean SQ incoming which can only be Henry Arundell. Well done Mike Blair and SRU for luring him to the DAM :) ....rumour starts here.

Makes a lot of sense :-D
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed May 11, 2022 10:48 pm

Shame to see Moyano leave but can see the logic. Wonder where it leaves Owsley?

I know of a young championship winger who had a trial, would have been an Owsley type trial but a big fast lad, don’t think it has gone further than that though.

Sure there will be a plan, much easier to run a wee bit short of wingers that front row with the 7s squad etc.

Sorry to see Chamberlain not having made it, he just seems to have stalled and covid came at the wrong time for him. Hopefully he will get a gig somewhere and kick on again, just looked like he needed a run of games to build confidence.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu May 12, 2022 8:25 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Been thinking since moyano is off must mean SQ incoming which can only be Henry Arundell. Well done Mike Blair and SRU for luring him to the DAM :) ....rumour starts here.

The only problem with this is that Arundell is SQ!

Mentioned here: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/watch-te ... to-toulon/
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Thu May 12, 2022 9:12 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Sorry to see Chamberlain not having made it, he just seems to have stalled and covid came at the wrong time for him. Hopefully he will get a gig somewhere and kick on again, just looked like he needed a run of games to build confidence.

It's a bit last year's news, but the blame for this has to fall on Cockerill's shoulders. He had plenty opportunities to give Chamberlain game time and took pretty much none of them. By the time Blair came in, we were onto the Kinghorn era and Savala had jumped ahead of Nathan in the queue behind him. From 2nd choice after VDW, and only in dire emergencies, he was now 4th choice.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu May 12, 2022 9:45 am

TheSmidge wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Sorry to see Chamberlain not having made it, he just seems to have stalled and covid came at the wrong time for him. Hopefully he will get a gig somewhere and kick on again, just looked like he needed a run of games to build confidence.

It's a bit last year's news, but the blame for this has to fall on Cockerill's shoulders. He had plenty opportunities to give Chamberlain game time and took pretty much none of them. By the time Blair came in, we were onto the Kinghorn era and Savala had jumped ahead of Nathan in the queue behind him. From 2nd choice after VDW, and only in dire emergencies, he was now 4th choice.

I was expecting Chamberlain to feature more last season as well, but I don't think there was such a thing as a queue for the fly half position when Blair came in. If he wanted Chamberlain in his matchday 23, he would pick him, but he's obviously been looking at training etc and deciding not to.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu May 12, 2022 12:44 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
TheSmidge wrote:

I was expecting Chamberlain to feature more last season as well, but I don't think there was such a thing as a queue for the fly half position when Blair came in. If he wanted Chamberlain in his matchday 23, he would pick him, but he's obviously been looking at training etc and deciding not to.

I too thought that Chamberlain would kick on however on a positive side I have liked the look of Savala every time I have seen him and I hope he kicks on next season as our 2nd choice No10.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu May 12, 2022 2:47 pm

Schoeman signs "long term" deal.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu May 12, 2022 4:47 pm

That really is the best news we have had for a long time, arguably our best player over the last 2 yrs.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu May 12, 2022 5:16 pm

Great nes-though you have to wonder if his,presumably substantially increased,contractmeans,albeit indirectly,that we couldn't afford to retain Moyano.
I appreciate all part of the bigger picture but I would expect the likes of Schoemann,Mata and Kinghorn (recent new cotract) will take up a fair portion of our budget along with Skinner when he joins in the summer.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum