Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2021-22

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2021-22

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:18 pm

Very good signings, it will be interesting to see where they (and Immelman) actually play, all seem capable of playing wing and fullback and potentially centre too.

Not sure how often we will lose them for international games, which could be disruptive, but if they are available in the 6n period to allow breaks for Kinhorn, Darcy and possibly Lang it could make a difference.

In terms of balance i think the squad looks better. Ironic if we are now short of props! I do think keeping McCallum would have been better, but at the same time he needs to play, he is not going to improve by watching rugby.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:53 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Ramiro Moyano incoming.....

Argentinian Winger/full back. Decent pedigree.

And Emiliano Boffeli!

Wow that's two high high quality signings.

Two good additions to the squad. Will be interesting to see how Blair shapes the backline.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:58 pm

Excellent signings!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:00 pm

Mad that Kinghorn-Immelman-Hoyland is now our second-choice B3.
Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:15 pm

Maybe Kinghorn playing at 10 wasn't just a stop gap....
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:46 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Maybe Kinghorn playing at 10 wasn't just a stop gap....

That would be a bold development. I dunno, he definitely makes things happen at 10 but he's not really a game managing type of player.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:07 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Maybe Kinghorn playing at 10 wasn't just a stop gap....

That would be a bold development. I dunno, he definitely makes things happen at 10 but he's not really a game managing type of player.

Seems very unlikely considering Kinghorn was playing 10 as Cockers doesn't fancy youth development.

Boffeli - Duhan, Sau - Moyano, Farndale - Immelmann.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:28 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Boffelli - Duhan, Sau - Moyano, Farndale - Immelman.

We can do this for the whole squad...

OUT . . . . . . . . . IN
Willemse . . . . . . McBurney
Bhatti . . . . . . . . Venter
Berghan . . . . . . . de Bruin
Davidson . . . . . . Young
Ferreira . . . . . . . Phillips
Darge . . . . . . . . Muncaster
Groom . . . . . . . Vellacott
van der Merwe . . Boffelli
Sau . . . . . . . . . Moyano
Farndale . . . . . . Immelman
Rowe . . . . . . . . Owsley

We've also added Chamberlain, Lang and Hutchison to our backs department while losing Sutherland, McCallum, Carmichael, McKenzie and Miller from our forwards department. I think we could do with another prop, it's a little pressure on Sam Grahamslaw's young shoulders (I say as if I'm not younger than him!).

The usual sorts over on the Glasgow board are raging that our Argentinian backs signings are better than their Argentinian backs signings, and that it therefore indicates some kind of SRU preference. Little bro mentality? :mrgreen:
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:37 am

The Incredible Shug wrote:
The usual sorts over on the Glasgow board are raging that our Argentinian backs signings are better than their Argentinian backs signings, and that it therefore indicates some kind of SRU preference. Little bro mentality? :mrgreen:

Eh, I assumed Miotti was the biggest capture.

I think all of this year's batch of Argentinian signings have a good pedigree. I wonder if the SRU have identified that they are relatively good value after the exit of Jaguares from Super Rugby.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:14 am

robdinsdale wrote:I think all of this year's batch of Argentinian signings have a good pedigree. I wonder if the SRU have identified that they are relatively good value after the exit of Jaguares from Super Rugby.

Think this must be it.

Also, a non-sequitur, but I've realised our depth allows us to field three different XVs this year:

Boffelli; Graham, Bennett, Lang, Moyano; van der Walt, Shiel; Schoeman, McInally, Nel; Toolis, Gilchrist; Ritchie (C), Watson; Mata

Immelman; Hoyland, Taylor, Dean, Kinghorn; Savala, Vellacott; Venter, Cherry, de Bruin; Hodgson, Young; Haining, Crosbie (C); Kunavula

Owsley; Johnstone, Venter, Hutchison, Blain; Chamberlain, Pyrgos (C); Grahamslaw, McBurney, Atalifo; Sykes, Phillips; Bradbury, Boyle; Muncaster

We've never had it so good. (Which is a fantastic phrase to jinx our entire season with.)
-----

A few caveats. We'll likely lose Graham, Lang, Schoeman, McInally or Cherry, Nel, Gilchrist, Ritchie, Watson and Haining during international periods (maybe a couple of others too). Boffelli, Kunavula and Mata will be picked by their countries, and it's more than possible that so will Moyano and Atalifo. If injuries hit the Scotland camp then we could lose Kinghorn, Hoyland, VDW, Shiel, the other of McInally and Cherry, Toolis, Hodgson and Crosbie. Plus, you never know who the Toonie tombola will throw up! (Also Townsend may want to cap Vellacott and McBurney to tie them to Scotland.)

Watson is likely to be given a rest after the Lions tour, especially after that match-winning turnover of his in the third test in Cape Town. That should mean Crosbie gets a chance to stake a claim.
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:48 pm

popped over for a snigger after reading this. All I can see is a couple saying Boffelli and Moyana probably cost more, and a number saying they are good signings. Which are fair comment I think. Have I missed soemthing?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:24 pm

joe soap wrote:

popped over for a snigger after reading this. All I can see is a couple saying Boffelli and Moyana probably cost more, and a number saying they are good signings. Which are fair comment I think. Have I missed soemthing?

To be fair it was quite subtextual, but you could see it in the way they press that our lads are more expensive. Maybe I'm reading too far into things.
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:13 pm

Great signings although I see Moyana is 31 . With respect to the aforementioned, Boffeli looks the more interesting signing . From the the footage on his highlights he look terrific and is also an accomplished field and goal kicker.That said his recent stats on his his most recent season are pretty average but potential looks exciting. Interesting to see where he is played . The bulk of the clips on his highlights see him on the wing but 13 is an option where we have not always had the movement required to exploit and create space.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:06 am

Will be interesting to see what the first-choice backline looks like when everyone is available. I admire JJ, Dean and Bennett (and think that Taylor could potentially develop into an terrific player) but it feels like centre is a position where things need stepped up a notch if we're to be a properly good team.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:20 am

Impega wrote:Will be interesting to see what the first-choice backline looks like when everyone is available. I admire JJ, Dean and Bennett (and think that Taylor could potentially develop into an terrific player) but it feels like centre is a position where things need stepped up a notch if we're to be a properly good team.

In theory, Lang should be a different and more creative option at 12 but to be honest I didn't see much of him in action when he was at Quins.

Bennett is class and had been in good form since he came back from the last injury. I don't know why he didn't feature more last season, because he offers so much more threat going forward than the others.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum