Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2021-22

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby Squad 2021-22

Postby Croft_No.6 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:27 am

Agree on Bennett, will be interesting to see if his game time changes up with the new coaching team. It will be interesting across the board to see how the balance of the team changes and hopefully a change in the way we play off 9!
Croft_No.6
International

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:25 am

According to itsrugby Bennett played in 12 out of the 16 league games, starting in 10 of them.

We only played 3 games in Europe, Bennett started in the two pool games and was on the bench for the beating we took in Paris
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:31 am

Tichtheid wrote:According to itsrugby Bennett played in 12 out of the 16 league games, starting in 10 of them.

We only played 3 games in Europe, Bennett started in the two pool games and was on the bench for the beating we took in Paris

Was it just the tail end of the season/Rainbow Cup where he dropped out of the team then?
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:20 am

robdinsdale wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:According to itsrugby Bennett played in 12 out of the 16 league games, starting in 10 of them.

Was it just the tail end of the season/Rainbow Cup where he dropped out of the team then?

Yes when we started rotating a bit more.

I don't really think Bennett has been excellent for Edinburgh. I'm very excited by Currie. Hopefully Lang is good because I really don't rate Dean, Taylor or Hutchison very highly. They can all carry mostly effectively but none are good at passing which kind of kills any expansive gameplan anyway.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:21 am

robdinsdale wrote:

He played in the one Rainbow game against Glasgow.

Matt Currie played a couple of games, thereafter maybe it was JJ?

I can never remember, I have to look this stuff up
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:54 pm

What's everyone's preferred Edinburgh backline, then?

I'd go with

15 - Boffelli
14 - Graham
13 - Bennett
12 - Lang
11 - Moyano
10 - Savala
9 - Shiel

21 - Vellacott
22 - Chamberlain
23 - Immelman

No space for Kinghorn might surprise people. I think it's between him and Bennett for the final position in the backline, with Boffelli either at 13 or 15. I've gone for Boffelli at 15.
Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:08 pm

The Incredible Shug wrote:What's everyone's preferred Edinburgh backline, then?

You might call me a traditionalist.

15 - Kinghorn
14 - Graham
13 - Bennett
12 - Lang
11 - Boffelli
10 - Jaco
9 - Shiel

21 - Vellacott
22 - Chamberlain
23 - Immelman
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:23 pm

robdinsdale wrote:

15 - Kinghorn
14 - Graham
13 - Bennett
12 - Lang
11 - Boffelli
10 - Jaco
9 - Shiel

21 - Vellacott
22 - Chamberlain
23 - Immelman

Should add I expect to see a fair amount of rotation and the development of Chamberlain and Savala over the course of the season.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:38 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:

15 - Kinghorn
14 - Graham
13 - Bennett
12 - Lang
11 - Boffelli
10 - Jaco
9 - Shiel

21 - Vellacott
22 - Chamberlain
23 - Immelman

Should add I expect to see a fair amount of rotation and the development of Chamberlain and Savala over the course of the season.

Of course. Not a bad backline, that.

I've created a Google questionnaire (https://forms.gle/bh2rta5yLiBj2od79) where folk can pick their preferred, first-choice Edinburgh team for this season.
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby The Incredible Shug on Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:12 am

Emiliano Boffelli has been named in Argentina's squad for the Rugby Championship. It means we won't see him in action until Round 4 at the earliest.

Ramiro Moyano WILL be available for Round 1, though, as he hasn't been picked. (As things stand.)

Little Bro have had Pieretto, Miotti and Cancelliere called up too.
Could be a little sticky for the Scotland national team because both the pro teams will need all the players they can get with these absences - the original three autumn internationals will be fine, but the Tonga game means we can't pick from England and France and we can't clash with the URC either. If Boffelli and Cancelliere are unavailable, then players like Blain and Tagive will need to stay at their pro clubs. We might well end up fielding a backline of Super6 players against Tonga (although even then...I reckon Tom Brown, Robbie Nairn and Rory McMichael isn't a horrendous back three...)
The Incredible Shug
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:14 am

Depends on how it all falls and who is injured. There may be some positions where we are a wee bit short but wont be the end of the world.

Back 3 is the most obvious, but if you were picking a Scottish based 23 then you could see Kinghorn and Darcy being picked. Bear in mind we have Immelman too. We have played far worse back 3s than Immelman, Hoyland and Blain in the past, we also have Owsley and Johnstone can play there at a push, so I think we are fine.

In the forwards we should have plenty of cover and half back too, so im not overly worried about it.

As I said though a few injuries and that can change.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:22 am

The Incredible Shug wrote:Emiliano Boffelli has been named in Argentina's squad for the Rugby Championship. It means we won't see him in action until Round 4 at the earliest.

Ramiro Moyano WILL be available for Round 1, though, as he hasn't been picked. (As things stand.)

Could be a little sticky for the Scotland national team because both the pro teams will need all the players they can get with these absences - the original three autumn internationals will be fine, but the Tonga game means we can't pick from England and France and we can't clash with the URC either. If Boffelli and Cancelliere are unavailable, then players like Blain and Tagive will need to stay at their pro clubs. We might well end up fielding a backline of Super6 players against Tonga (although even then...I reckon Tom Brown, Robbie Nairn and Rory McMichael isn't a horrendous back three...)

Not entirely sure that there's a set rule about that.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:24 am

The Incredible Shug wrote:Emiliano Boffelli has been named in Argentina's squad for the Rugby Championship. It means we won't see him in action until Round 4 at the earliest.

Scottish qualified back threes playing for Edinburgh and Glasgow re Tonga: Graham, Kinghorn, Hoyland, Blain, Owsley, Patterson, Sweeney, Henry, Forbes, Smith, McLean, Tagive, Steyn, Callaghan, McKnight. Immelmann and McKay will be around too.

17 back threes without the Argies. We should be absolutely fine.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:14 pm

Immelman is SQ? Didnt realise that.

Pretty sure Lang has played FB too, althoguh he is likely to be with Scotland in that circumstance.

No chance English or French teams will release players.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:54 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Immelman is SQ? Didnt realise that.

Pretty sure Lang has played FB too, althoguh he is likely to be with Scotland in that circumstance.

No chance English or French teams will release players.

No nor is McKay. So there are 15 players Scotland could pick and 2 NSQs.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum