New Head Coach: Mike Blair

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: New Head Coach: Mike Blair

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:20 pm

Rob Chrystie the Southern Knights coach has joined as "Academy Coach" responsible for the stage 3 players. What does that job entail as they train as full time pros? How do you coach only 15 people?

Good news for Jacob Henry who performed really well for him at the Knights. Hopefully we get some A team fixtures this year and he becomes the A team coach.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:55 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Rob Chrystie the Southern Knights coach has joined as "Academy Coach" responsible for the stage 3 players. What does that job entail as they train as full time pros? How do you coach only 15 people?

Good news for Jacob Henry who performed really well for him at the Knights. Hopefully we get some A team fixtures this year and he becomes the A team coach.

He will probably have a lot of responsibility in tracking their progress, tailoring specific plans for them etc. Would imagine he'll also have other responsibilities that fall outside the obvious "academy coach" umbrella.

It is a good move and one that will hopefully start to see a coaching pathway from prem to S6 to pro teams.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:35 pm

Mike Blair speaking so so well in the punditry on Amazon. Very excited for the Blair period. Speaks with such precision.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:29 pm

Does anyone know who the kid sat next to Blair in the coaches box was? Looked familiar but I couldn’t place him.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:48 pm

There's an interview with the Boss on the club site, previewing the Benetton game, however for me the three main takeaway points are; Blair wants everyone playing, he's not going to go through a season only using a small group of players, everyone should be looking forward to coming into training and knowing they have a chance to be in the 23 at the weekend.
On Kinghorn, MB thinks Kinghorn put in a mature performance against Dragons, he needs to back this up week on week, so he definitely sees him playing there for the foreseeable future.
On the Scottish/Italian Shield, he still doesn't really understand how qualification for the Big Cup will work this season :P
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:21 pm

Tichtheid wrote:On the Scottish/Italian Shield, he still doesn't really understand how qualification for the Big Cup will work this season :P

Well, when you're on top of the group and third in the overall table I suppose you don't have to spend too much time worrying about the permutations 8)
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:40 am

There are pics on twitter of our new Skills and Assistant Attack Coach Gareth Baber with Mike Blair, having arrived at the club.

Was he with Fiji during the AIs? I assume he was, anyway it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table. I thought our backs looked better against the Dragons in terms of the moves they were running, if Baber can bring some Fijian style fairy dust it should make for an interesting time ahead.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:48 am

Tichtheid wrote:There are pics on twitter of our new Skills and Assistant Attack Coach Gareth Baber with Mike Blair, having arrived at the club.

Was he with Fiji during the AIs? I assume he was, anyway it will be interesting to see what he brings to the table. I thought our backs looked better against the Dragons in terms of the moves they were running, if Baber can bring some Fijian style fairy dust it should make for an interesting time ahead.

Yeah moved up from their 7s team temporarily. Should be a good appointment I think.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:06 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:On the Scottish/Italian Shield, he still doesn't really understand how qualification for the Big Cup will work this season :P

Well, when you're on top of the group and third in the overall table I suppose you don't have to spend too much time worrying about the permutations 8)

Sure but would just take a couple of defeats and we'd be right back in the bottom half of the table-so absolutely no complacency please!
And whilst we looked tremendous on Saturday-every single player did-not to be forgotten that the fixture scheduling has been pretty kind to us avoiding all the Irish teams so far.The second half of the season will be much more challenging and show if we really are as good as we think the team is.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum