Fixtures 2021/22

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Fixtures 2021/22

Postby artie fufkin on Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:35 pm

Quick glance and due to tv schedules it seems we have been allocated a few Saturday 5.15 slots. 3 home games in first 4 weeks
artie fufkin
World Cup Star

Re: Fixtures 2021/22

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:53 pm

artie fufkin wrote:Quick glance and due to tv schedules it seems we have been allocated a few Saturday 5.15 slots. 3 home games in first 4 weeks

I'm a "glass half full" sort, but this will hit club rugby in terms of supporters, and perhaps also players who might choose to go to pro games rather than turn out for a the thirds.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:33 pm

First 4 fixtures for easy ref, 3 at home which is good but the 4 new SA teams certainly make the fixture list look like a lot of tough games, we are going to need to see a big improvement to be competitive

H v Scarlets Sat 25th Sept 17:15
A v Benetton Sat 2rd Oct 13:00
H v Stormers Sat 9th Oct 17:15
H v Bulls Sat 16th Oct 17:15

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-club ... -announced

Agree on the Saturday fixtures and impact on club rugby. Even if folk play then head to the match instead of hanging about the club that impacts bar takings which are often big source of income for the clubs.

Edit: should add it is 3 home Saturday's between start of season and end of calendar year, I would be unlikely to go to away games but if i was Saturday in that case prob better.

Personally - Friday nights really suited me, Saturday dinner time is not great but better than middle of afternoon.

Hopefully see some more Friday games second half of season although i note below on the FAQs, and wonder if we are in weaker position by not having FTA broadcaster in Scotland.

"Additionally, broadcast agreements generally prevent more than two games being scheduled in any one time slot to allow for live coverage in multiple territories or because a broadcaster’s rights may extend to a specific time slot.

FTA broadcasters in Ireland and Wales cannot show games at the same time in territory, so if RTÉ show a game at 19:35 on a Friday then TG4 cannot show a game involving an Irish team in the same slot. That principal also applies to S4C and BBC Wales on games involving Welsh teams."
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby artie fufkin on Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:14 pm

One benefit of the schedule is that ER supporters will have 5 home games (friendlies included) over a relatively short period and at a time when the weather will be relatively pleasant.
artie fufkin
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:49 pm

Pros and cons however you do it, but hopefully we can return to at least some Friday night matches and learn from experience on the right approach to Saturdays to minimise the impact on the club game.

I'll just be delighted to get back to watching the guys playing in person.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:24 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
artie fufkin wrote:Quick glance and due to tv schedules it seems we have been allocated a few Saturday 5.15 slots. 3 home games in first 4 weeks

I'm a "glass half full" sort, but this will hit club rugby in terms of supporters, and perhaps also players who might choose to go to pro games rather than turn out for a the thirds.

Will also work the other way, with club players/supporters choosing not to go to Embra games.

It's probably not ideal, but then Scottish rugby needs to be heading towards a situation where the pro teams and the clubs aren't competing for the same limited pool of 5000 punters on a Saturday afternoon.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:41 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

Will also work the other way, with club players/supporters choosing not to go to Embra games.

It's probably not ideal, but then Scottish rugby needs to be heading towards a situation where the pro teams and the clubs aren't competing for the same limited pool of 5000 punters on a Saturday afternoon.

There will also be some that have season books with their football club of choice. Friday night really is the best night for the Scottish sides in terms of market share.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum