Challenge Cup 21/22

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Challenge Cup 21/22

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:57 pm

BigD163 wrote:I get that Haining is an international and needs games but we have already seen a huge talent move along the M8 without seeing him do damage in burnt orange. This feels like they type of game Boyle could easily start.

Agree, but playing devils advocate i think if we win this we are then in a very strong position in the pool and should be able to change things up for Brive at home.

Likes of Glen Young looked decent off the bench, Crosbie should be back, Boyle, Sheil, Savala, maybe a start for Harrison at hooker.

Also got Blain and Muncaster who have seen little game time and Kunavala who is off the injury list this week as well.

Don't fancy Blairs job of keeping everyone happy especially without the International weekends although i dont see us getting the Scottish players back for the games on 6N rest weeks
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:52 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
BigD163 wrote:I get that Haining is an international and needs games but we have already seen a huge talent move along the M8 without seeing him do damage in burnt orange. This feels like they type of game Boyle could easily start.

Agree, but playing devils advocate i think if we win this we are then in a very strong position in the pool and should be able to change things up for Brive at home.

Likes of Glen Young looked decent off the bench, Crosbie should be back, Boyle, Sheil, Savala, maybe a start for Harrison at hooker.

Also got Blain and Muncaster who have seen little game time and Kunavala who is off the injury list this week as well.

Don't fancy Blairs job of keeping everyone happy especially without the International weekends although i dont see us getting the Scottish players back for the games on 6N rest weeks

Didn't someone say he spent time in the 7s? He looked pacy

RE the 6N time, I was thinking about this the other day and worst case, if everyone who is a regular and fringe player from Edinburgh is in the Scotland squad and not released then we will be able to field a team along the lines of

Venter, McBurney, Atalifo, Young, Phillips, Kunavula, Boyle, Muncaster,
Pyrgos, Jaco, Moyano, Dean, Currie, Boffelli, Immelman

Harrison, Grahamslaw, DeBruin, AN Other, Morris, Hutchinson, Savala, Shiel

We've fielded worse, bench lock is a problem, maybe Kunavula can move in, then we'd need another backrow and I don't know where the other academy lads play.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:20 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:

But dripping Boyle in with a back row of Ritchie and Bradbury would be a pretty safe move.

Sometimes we really need to just give them a go. Not everyone will be great like Darge has been but it is perhaps a lesson. Especially in Scotland where chances are limited.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:48 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:

Didn't someone say he spent time in the 7s? He looked pacy

RE the 6N time, I was thinking about this the other day and worst case, if everyone who is a regular and fringe player from Edinburgh is in the Scotland squad and not released then we will be able to field a team along the lines of

Venter, McBurney, Atalifo, Young, Phillips, Kunavula, Boyle, Muncaster,
Pyrgos, Jaco, Moyano, Dean, Currie, Boffelli, Immelman

Harrison, Grahamslaw, DeBruin, AN Other, Morris, Hutchinson, Savala, Shiel

We've fielded worse, bench lock is a problem, maybe Kunavula can move in, then we'd need another backrow and I don't know where the other academy lads play.

How many games are there during the six nations? I thought the plan was for none on match weeks and some on rest weeks? So whilst we won't get Jamie Ritchie and Pierre Schoeman back assuming they start weekly you'd think we'd get Blair Kinghorn whose gametime will you'd think be less would be released to play?

Boyle and the young guys should play champions cup. We beat Sarries with Savala we could beat Irish with Boyle.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:57 pm

There are two games currently scheduled during the 6N.However,unless there is a change in the European format then surely one or both of the1872 Cup matches will need to be slotted in there (6N period) as there are simply no other dates available before the end of the season (unless both Edinburgh and Glasgow are both knocked out of Europe-and if that doesn't happen too late to use up the free weekens in 6N,)
Also whilst normally we would get players back during the 6N worry is they "bubble" and no releases are made.Particularly hard when only two Scottish teams-we may well have three second row andfive back row forwards in the squad,for instance! Pretty harsh if you then throw in the inevitable injuries as well (and Mata and Toolis are already ruled out long term).
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:16 pm

My point was that in the hypothetical situation that we're shorn of Schoeman, Rambo, Cherry, Nel, Gilcho, Hodgson, Toolis, Sykes, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury, Crosbie, Haining, Mata, Vellacot, Kinghorn, Hoyland Lang, Bennett & Graham, we can still put out a decent side.

There are games in the rest weekends, I think, and in reality we'd get half a dozen players from that list back.

However, to reiterate, I think our squad depth is the best it has been for a while.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:10 pm

LI making a game of it, hope Moyano isn’t too bad, looking forward to a wee bit more control in the second half.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:56 pm

No able to watch, but just seen a red card for Creevy, sounds like he was fortuante to get away with an obstruction fo r their try too.

Hopefully we can wrap this up now.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:28 pm

It's disappointing to lose to a try in the 78th minute against 14 men.

I didn't see the game so I don't know what the performance was like.

From looking at the big cup games three wins gets you through to the knock outs, so we still have a chance with two home games to come
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:36 pm

Performance was poor, never really got going. That said we were absolutely robbed at the end. Scrum under the posts, LI tight head drops the scrum clearest pen to us you'll ever see and ref bottles it and gives it to them.

I am so LawrenceBryce angry right now.
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby Rambo flies planes on Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:41 pm

It was the Touch judge who gave the penalty , he was miles away
Rambo flies planes
Embra Debut

Postby BigD163 on Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:49 pm

Seen a few people on twitter say we played better with Kinghorn at 10.

Moving him due to winger injury after 33 minutes just feels completely wrong but I've made my points on that before.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:14 pm

The Nudger wrote:Performance was poor, never really got going. That said we were absolutely robbed at the end. Scrum under the posts, LI tight head drops the scrum clearest pen to us you'll ever see and ref bottles it and gives it to them.

I am so LawrenceBryce angry right now.

Watched it on a stream. We were good with Kinghorn at 10. We were bad with VdW at 10. Because Jaco just is not good enough.

Not convinced at all with Immelman still.
Last edited by Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:16 pm

They got lucky a couple of times, the obstruction at the try and the penalty at the final scrum, but maybe we should have had a score safety net in the bag, penalty early on missed I hoped would not haunt us, and it did, ah well onward and upward next week.
Was that Moyano on the pitch with crutches at the end? Hope it’s not too serious.
Last edited by Pitfitter446 on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:19 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:They got lucky a couple of times, the obstruction at the try and the penalty at the final scrum, but maybe we should have had a score safety net in the bag, penalty early on missed I hoped would not haunt us, and it did, ah well onward and upward next week.
Was that Monyano on the pitch with crutches at the end? Hope it’s not too serious.

I would really like to have heard the analysis on the obstruction. I'm not sure it was obstruction as Bradbury just took the absolute wrong option and hit Creevy.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum