Challenge Cup 21/22

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Challenge Cup 21/22

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:29 pm

liveinhope wrote:Good to hear about your trip.In more"normal" circumstances I would have travelled down for the game.
Looked like will have at least two injury concerns from Saturday:

Moyano-took his try brilliantly and despite the tv showing several replays no obvious knock when he dived for the line.But his reaction and injury looked bad-knee ligaments possibly?-and one poster indicated he was seen on crutches later on.Great pity as playing well and of course valuable during the 6N period with so many away with Scotland.

Mike Blair said that Moyano took a stud to the achilles in scoring, the moonboot was a precaution.

Fingers crossed, for Lang too. He picks up a lot of knocks, does Lang.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:01 pm

Good news on Moyano .. he is a terrific finisher. Lang looked crocked for most of second period before being subbed.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:08 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
liveinhope wrote:Good to hear about your trip.In more"normal" circumstances I would have travelled down for the game.
Looked like will have at least two injury concerns from Saturday:

Moyano-took his try brilliantly and despite the tv showing several replays no obvious knock when he dived for the line.But his reaction and injury looked bad-knee ligaments possibly?-and one poster indicated he was seen on crutches later on.Great pity as playing well and of course valuable during the 6N period with so many away with Scotland.

Mike Blair said that Moyano took a stud to the achilles in scoring, the moonboot was a precaution.

Fingers crossed, for Lang too. He picks up a lot of knocks, does Lang.

One thing I didn't expect about Lang is how physical he is. Loves the crash ball but isn't built for it.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:08 pm

Centres didn’t get going as well as last week .. Currie Looks a bit fallow at times . More super 6 time will help .
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:35 am

Trophyhunter wrote:Centres didn’t get going as well as last week .. Currie Looks a bit fallow at times . More super 6 time will help .

He won't play much super 6. He's probably Bennett's back up here now, Bennett might leave as I think he's ooc? And there isn't a super 6 until next summer when he'll be in preseason here again anyway.

Super6 isn't a development tool for a guy like Currie, he'll develop in professional rugby. I think he's fine - he didn't get much if any ball and his defence is improving. Better develop him who could be great and is currently good than play Johnstone who is better now with much less potential.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:10 pm

Out of curiosity I had a look at London Irish's forum. The consensus seems to be that they got away with obstruction by Creevy for the try and would have been angry had the same happened to them.

C'est la vie.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:01 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Trophyhunter wrote:Centres didn’t get going as well as last week .. Currie Looks a bit fallow at times . More super 6 time will help .

He won't play much super 6. He's probably Bennett's back up here now, Bennett might leave as I think he's ooc? And there isn't a super 6 until next summer when he'll be in preseason here again anyway.

Super6 isn't a development tool for a guy like Currie, he'll develop in professional rugby. I think he's fine - he didn't get much if any ball and his defence is improving. Better develop him who could be great and is currently good than play Johnstone who is better now with much less potential.

Fair point , just believe players need to play more and young guys sometimes need space and freedom to work on their development areas without the pressure that comes with the Pro game. So a a rotation through phases of Super 6 could benefit. Currie looks a a great prospect but still only 20 . His big days will come soon. I wonder how much tension Blair has to balance between choosing the side to win a game vs “ asks” from “Upstairs “ on development interests as the obvious option to Bennett would be Johnstone.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:37 pm

Blairs wee video today on the Brive match he says he looks at getting game time for those who put hands up in training, do the extras etc, but says it is difficult balance as some wont get opportunity.

Other than perhaps getting established Scottish stars match sharp eg Watson post lions, and the prescribed rests for internationals if required I really cant see "upstairs" interfering at all in centre selection for a Challenge cup tie.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:34 pm

Trophyhunter wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:

Fair point , just believe players need to play more and young guys sometimes need space and freedom to work on their development areas without the pressure that comes with the Pro game. So a a rotation through phases of Super 6 could benefit. Currie looks a a great prospect but still only 20 . His big days will come soon. I wonder how much tension Blair has to balance between choosing the side to win a game vs “ asks” from “Upstairs “ on development interests as the obvious option to Bennett would be Johnstone.

I disagree.. Young guys don't develop if they don't play rugby. It really is simple as that. How are you expected to improve your ability or play under pressure if you don't get to use your abilities or play under pressure? Currie looked far better than his Watsonians teammates other than Muncaster in his super 6 appearance anyway.

Currie has never looked out of place in the pro game so not sure it's an "obvious" choice.

Also it's not necessarily upstairs. If Blair wants to be at Edinburgh long term and let's say compete for the league in 2 or 3 years time it makes sense for him to play young guys with huge potential now at the expense of a Johnstone who is who he is and getting older.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:05 pm

Friday 21 January, kick-off 8pm – streamed live at epcrugby.tv

15. Emiliano Boffelli (5)
14. Darcy Graham (44)
13. Mark Bennett (60)
12. Cammy Hutchison (7)
11. Freddie Owsley*
10. Blair Kinghorn (108) VICE-CAPTAIN
9. Charlie Shiel (40)

1. Pierre Schoeman (74)
2. Dave Cherry (45)
3. Angus Williams (6)
4. Glen Young (1)
5. Grant Gilchrist (167) CAPTAIN
6. Jamie Ritchie (84) VICE-CAPTAIN
7. Hamish Watson (123)
8. Mesulame Kunavula (15)

Replacements:

16. Stuart McInally (160)
17. Harrison Courtney (1)
18. WP Nel (164)
19. Marshall Sykes (14)
20. Ben Muncaster (3)
21. Henry Pyrgos (57)
22. Charlie Savala (6)\
23. Henry Immelman (7)

Unavailable: Luke Crosbie, Luan de Bruin, Nick Haining, Damien Hoyland, James Lang, Viliame Mata, Ramiro Moyano, Ben Toolis
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:41 pm

Great line up. Good mix of injuries, young guys, form and decent rotation.

Would've preferred Muncaster to start but Kunavula is great.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:44 pm

Yes good mix.And useful that many of these will get game time before the Ospreys fixture next week when we might be missing all or certainly mostof our Scotland squad players.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:47 pm

Really good first 40. Physicality miles better schoe, Hutchinson and young in particular carrying very hard.

Some cracking tries.

Big wind behind us second half.

All very enjoyable so far!
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:57 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Really good first 40. Physicality miles better schoe, Hutchinson and young in particular carrying very hard.

Some cracking tries.

Big wind behind us second half.

All very enjoyable so far!

How is Freddie Owsley going?

I see he got a try
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:58 pm

Brive have the better scrum but are dropping off tackles. We'll continue to make good ground if Hutchinson etc carry the same way.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum