Challenge Cup 21/22

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Challenge Cup 21/22

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:59 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Really good first 40. Physicality miles better schoe, Hutchinson and young in particular carrying very hard.

Some cracking tries.

Big wind behind us second half.

All very enjoyable so far!

How is Freddie Owsley going?

I see he got a try

Not too many touches but great pace and footballing skills for the try.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:01 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Really good first 40. Physicality miles better schoe, Hutchinson and young in particular carrying very hard.

Some cracking tries.

Big wind behind us second half.

All very enjoyable so far!

How is Freddie Owsley going?

I see he got a try

Not too many touches but great pace and footballing skills for the try.

Sounds promising
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:59 pm

Well, 66-3 and ten tries is an absolute gubbing.

I look forward to the highlights
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:32 pm

Lost a little focus in 2nd half but overall a very good performance.

Defence was very good, we were physical and carried hard

Some of the tries were superb.

Owsley has serious gas will PaulHoniss any defence, bit raw still, but quick enough to get out of some iffy positioning. Interesting to see how he develops.

Hutchinson was very good carried really well.

Shiel I thought played well for most part, forced a couple plays perhaps and a couple of wasted kicks.

Savala looked good and confident again in his cameo.

A very good all round performance.

Couple of sour notes rambo looked to take a nasty head knock and the musical taste of some of the squad is shocking...looking at you Mr Watson in particular.

Edit: should add boffelli's place kicking was superb first half in to the wind think he only missed one and they were not easy kicks.
Last edited by The Feral Goat on Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie59 on Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:39 pm

Assume Rambo failed HIA which must be a worry for Scotland.

Very enjoyable game and result but don't think Brive are the strongest of opposition.

Pau beat them on 2 Jan 43-20 so that will be a tougher match
Weegie59
Established pro

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:11 am

Happy as a pig in poo, overall some great rugby and passion, odd bits due to unfamiliarity? Looking forward to the next game, hoping Rambo isn’t too bad.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:41 am

Very good all round performance.

The defensive intensity was probably the most gratifying part. Glen Young was very good on the first half, it just the tried but also his defence and counter rucking

Scrum a comcern and line out was a bit of a mess again, we really do need to sort that out.

Lots of good performances, Kinghorn really is growing, Bennet oozes class and Boffeli is very reassuring in every aspect of his play
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:52 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:Very good all round performance.

The defensive intensity was probably the most gratifying part. Glen Young was very good on the first half, it just the tried but also his defence and counter rucking

Scrum a comcern and line out was a bit of a mess again, we really do need to sort that out.

Lots of good performances, Kinghorn really is growing, Bennet oozes class and Boffeli is very reassuring in every aspect of his play

The scrum looked very good earlier in the season no matter who we picked, though WP's cameo against (I think) The Stormers was special.
It's a concern if has gone off the boil
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:59 am

Tichtheid wrote:

The scrum looked very good earlier in the season no matter who we picked, though WP's cameo against (I think) The Stormers was special.

It hasn't. The scrum looked good with any combination of the SA props, not so much with anyone else. Brive had the edge, and it looked like along night for the Edinburgh scrum. But they steadied the ship and very quickly stopped leaking penalties every scrum.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:02 am

Once the announcer had got himself sorted out, the send off for George Taylor was excellent. I can't imagine how that must have felt for him to get an ovation like that.

A record crowd for the Dam of 6,100.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:54 am

A great win and credit to Blair and the team for so many entertaining tries.

Think Brive thought they were in Edinburgh for sightseeing..
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:55 am

Weegie wrote:Once the announcer had got himself sorted out, the send off for George Taylor was excellent. I can't imagine how that must have felt for him to get an ovation like that.

A record crowd for the Dam of 6,100.

The crowd noise on the highlights is terrific, it must be a real boon for the players
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby JDCSR on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:09 pm

Weegie wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

It hasn't. The scrum looked good with any combination of the SA props, not so much with anyone else. Brive had the edge, and it looked like along night for the Edinburgh scrum. But they steadied the ship and very quickly stopped leaking penalties every scrum.

Brive also have some handy scrummagers, not least Ceccarelli who we know well and Bekoshvili who replaced him is also useful. The Georgian hooker is also a very strong scrummager.

Doesn't matter how good we are, sometimes we'll run into equally good units and I thought we did very well to steady the ship quickly as you say.
JDCSR
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:56 pm

Last night was thoroughly enjoyable. I can't remember the last time Edinburgh dished out such a comprehensive horsing.

I was particularly impressed by Bennett and Hutchison, both carried really well (the latter in particular, who was very abrasive and constantly made a lot of metres). Darcy Graham really is a phenomenal player, the go forward he somehow attains despite his size is just brilliant.

I also though Muncaster looked really good off the bench - he's a real physical specimen.

Once again it was a great atmosphere in the stadium, the biggest crowd to date and hopefully performances and results like these will continue to build the momentum and the numbers attending.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:05 pm

Impega wrote:Last night was thoroughly enjoyable. I can't remember the last time Edinburgh dished out such a comprehensive horsing.

I was particularly impressed by Bennett and Hutchison, both carried really well (the latter in particular, who was very abrasive and constantly made a lot of metres). Darcy Graham really is a phenomenal player, the go forward he somehow attains despite his size is just brilliant.

I also though Muncaster looked really good off the bench - he's a real physical specimen.

Once again it was a great atmosphere in the stadium, the biggest crowd to date and hopefully performances and results like these will continue to build the momentum and the numbers attending.

Muncaster's finish was special. And how good is Kunavula as well. If Bradbury and Mata did leave we have two very exciting options.

I agree about Bennett his season has been superb.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum