Edinburgh v Benetton

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Benetton

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:54 pm

Kinghorn starts at 10, Savala and Chamberlain on the pine

Edinburgh Rugby team to face Benetton at the ERS
Scottish Building Society Pre-Season Series (Saturday 18 September, kick-off 3pm)

15. Henry Immelman

14. Darcy Graham
13. Mark Bennett
12. Cammy Hutchison
11. Damien Hoyland

10. Blair Kinghorn
9. Ben Vellacott

1. Pierre Schoeman
2. Stuart McInally
3.Luan de Bruin
4. Marshall Sykes
5. Grant Gilchrist CAPTAIN
6. Jamie Ritchie
7.Luke Crosbie
8. Magnus Bradbury

Replacements: Boan Venter, Harry Lloyd, Lee-Roy Atalifo, Dan Gamble, Dave Cherry, Patrick Harrison, Pierce Phillips, Nick Haining, Connor Boyle, Ben Muncaster, Henry Pyrgos, Charlie Shiel, Charlie Savala, Nathan Chamberlain, James Lang, Chris Dean, Jordan Venter, James Johnstone, Freddie Owsley, Ramiro Moyano, Jack Blain

Unavailable due to injury: Matt Currie, Ben Evans, Jake Henry, Jamie Hodgson, Viliame Mata, Adam McBurney, Harri Morris, WP Nel, Harry Paterson, Nathan Sweeney, Ben Toolis, George Taylor, Jaco van der Walt, Glen Young
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Benetton

Postby TheSmidge on Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:05 pm

Interesting selection (again) of Kinghorn at 10. I thought this would be a good opportunity for Savala or Chamberlain to start and get a solid 40-50 minutes against a team we will see a fair bit of this season. Begs the question (again) of what Kinghorn's main role will be this season, particularly as it is clear that Immelmann is more than adequate at FB and Hoyland did well covering for him last season.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:25 pm

Interesting that Vellacott is given a second straight start - suggests Blair sees him as the starting 9 for the competitive games.

I thought he looked good last week, and it was noticeable that he (and then Shiel) barely kicked at all whereas Pyrgos immediately starting doing a fair amount of it when he came on.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing Lang get a run, much as I like Deano and Johnstone I can envisage the first-choice centre partnership being Lang and Bennett.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:44 pm

TheSmidge wrote:Interesting selection (again) of Kinghorn at 10. I thought this would be a good opportunity for Savala or Chamberlain to start and get a solid 40-50 minutes against a team we will see a fair bit of this season. Begs the question (again) of what Kinghorn's main role will be this season, particularly as it is clear that Immelmann is more than adequate at FB and Hoyland did well covering for him last season.

Darcy Graham did a very good job at fullback when he was asked to fill in, the two Argentinians can play there too.

As you say, interesting times for BK.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:59 pm

Kinghorn is clearly a talented player has some real quality touches and bags of pace, but based on previous evidence needs quite a bit of game time at 10 to get up to speed with game mgmt etc he also has to perform near his best much more consistently. Perhaps being more involved at 10 will help with focus.

Does feel we have recruited plenty of back 3 cover rather than try and bring in a proven 10. AS has been said interesting.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:09 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
TheSmidge wrote:Interesting selection (again) of Kinghorn at 10. I thought this would be a good opportunity for Savala or Chamberlain to start and get a solid 40-50 minutes against a team we will see a fair bit of this season. Begs the question (again) of what Kinghorn's main role will be this season, particularly as it is clear that Immelmann is more than adequate at FB and Hoyland did well covering for him last season.

Darcy Graham did a very good job at fullback when he was asked to fill in, the two Argentinians can play there too.

As you say, interesting times for BK.

When he was interviewed the other week, Immelman gave the chat about how he can also play wing and outside centre, so perhaps we might see some more flexibility from our backs this season.

It will be interesting to see how Kinghorn goes if he gets more time at 10, on the plus side with his pace he's devastating when he finds a gap, but he doesn't seem to have the game management side of it yet. At least he has the skillset for it though, we know that from him getting given the penalties to kick for touch etc.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:11 pm

Impega wrote:
Looking forward to hopefully seeing Lang get a run, much as I like Deano and Johnstone I can envisage the first-choice centre partnership being Lang and Bennett.

Two starts for Hutchison though so far, maybe he's in pole position for the start of the season.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:50 pm

All very well giving Kinghorn starts but it removes potential gametime for Savala and Chamberlain.If VDW is back soon Kinghorn's presence in the 23 probably rules out another stand-off needed on the bench.
Pity though as he's really a fullback/wing and seems this was an experiment that should have been tried 3/4 years ago not now. He didn't look comfortable when used there towards the end of last season.
(Having said that we now have some great options at FB-Immelmann,Boffelli and Hoyland so I suspect the move partly driven by that.)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:25 pm

It's the problem we have with Kinghorn. One of the highest earners in the squad - not the best fullback here though. Not really very good on the wing either.

But also we don't have an obviously good 10 as vdw is what he is and Savala and Chamberlain are developing. I guess why not try Kinghorn's reclamation project at 10.

It's a bit it a mess. I wonder if this is a directive from on high as Townsend is realising Kinghorn isn't an international back three option anymore.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:It's the problem we have with Kinghorn. One of the highest earners in the squad - not the best fullback here though. Not really very good on the wing either.

But also we don't have an obviously good 10 as vdw is what he is and Savala and Chamberlain are developing. I guess why not try Kinghorn's reclamation project at 10.

It's a bit it a mess. I wonder if this is a directive from on high as Townsend is realising Kinghorn isn't an international back three option anymore.

Bit harsh, he's always showed up well for Scotland but is being kept out by two British Lions, one of whom is a legitimately world class fullback.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:56 am

robdinsdale wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:It's the problem we have with Kinghorn. One of the highest earners in the squad - not the best fullback here though. Not really very good on the wing either.

Bit harsh, he's always showed up well for Scotland but is being kept out by two British Lions, one of whom is a legitimately world class fullback.

Two test Lions at that too.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:03 am

BigD163 wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:

Three if Maitland is still first choice

(though he didn't make it off the bench right enough)
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:16 am

I do wonder about BK at ten though. Given the stopped clock analogy I remember Austin Healy talking about very tall fly halfs and how the long levers make it difficult to have a quick kicking game. I have no idea if that is true, but Kinghorn is a good couple of inches taller than Sexton or Barrett, the two tall fly halfs that spring to mind.

He's very effective at taking the ball as first receiver and his pace off the mark kind of contradicts what I already said, maybe it is just time in the shirt that he needs, he has the pace and the skills, though the hard flat pass across a defence that the very best 10s can fire off both sides is not something I remember Kinghorn showing.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:27 am

There could be somethign in it, but it probably has more to do with the kicking style than height. Hogg has quite a big wind up, as did Dan Parks and they arent tall. Its not that often now that a 10 kicks under pressure, it tends to be the box kick for the reason of more control. Kinghorn has quite a good vairety of chips and grubbers he uses, as mentioned it is more game management he struggles with, but so do most 10s.

Interesting if paired with Lang at 12 to help with the management.

It does look like we are going to move away from playing off 9 all the time though, so more of a chance for all of our 10s to thrive.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:36 pm

BigD163 wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:

Sure but we have Graham and a load of guys at Glasgow coming through on the wing. Personally I've never been let down but never convinced by Kinghorn at wing. Is he still Hogg's backup?

He's shown such little improvement and is totally stagnant at a back 3 player I just wonder if this is a coaching decision or a Townsend directive.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum