Edinburgh v Benetton

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Benetton

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:58 pm

Kinghorn was in the Scotland squad for the summer tests this year and he would have been in all probability the first choice full back for those games, with McLean and Forbes getting game time there too.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:03 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Kinghorn was in the Scotland squad for the summer tests this year and he would have been in all probability the first choice full back for those games, with McLean and Forbes getting game time there too.

Probably would have been yes. But Steyn is back, McLean and Forbes look great so far. But with his pretty below par performances here, Hoyland is obviously the better option at 15 for Edinburgh with Immelmann and Bofelli to come... Now he's being trialled at 10.

I don't think we can say anymore he's the next in line at 15 or guaranteed a starting spot here or a squad spot for Scotland. No real point moving a top class 15 to 10 unless we need to. Appreciate Hogg did Vs italy but that speaks to vdw's international quality.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:28 pm

Kinghorn is 24 year old, the club's youngest ever centurion and he has 25 full international caps.

I'm not going to write him off just yet, not after being in a backline whose attacking guile amounted to "gie it tae Duhan".
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:05 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Kinghorn is 24 year old, the club's youngest ever centurion and he has 25 full international caps.

I'm not going to write him off just yet, not after being in a backline whose attacking guile amounted to "gie it tae Duhan".

He's a centurion because when he was 18/19 he was 18 one of the best fullbacks and attacking players in the league. Maybe it is coaching but that is no longer even close to being true.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:30 pm

Couple of beers in the sun watching Edinburgh score 50pts, season peaked already :)

Lot of positives Vellacott, Hoyland, Graham very good in the backs.

Kinghorn i thought did pretty well couple of wild moments but you need to make and learn from these in pre-season.

Harrison and muncaster both look really decent prospects.

Ritchie carrying on where he left off, would not suprise me if he could nail a drop goal, his all round game is superb breakdown, carrying, tackling and his distribution is top notch.

One concern was fringe defence benetton made easy yards on a few occasions.

Overall a very enjoyable match with a lot of encouraging signs.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:44 pm

AlanLewis, down at a previously booked race meeting in Yorkshire, and after last weeks display wasn’t too worried, but then they do this, ah well.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:17 pm

Anyone know whether today’s game is gonna be showing on the club YouTube channel in the next few days again?
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:19 pm

djphilp wrote:Anyone know whether today’s game is gonna be showing on the club YouTube channel in the next few days again?

Not seen anything official yet but it was being filmed again this week.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:07 pm

Thanks, just seen on Twitter that it’s gonna just be extended highlights released on Monday :(
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:52 pm

djphilp wrote:Thanks, just seen on Twitter that it’s gonna just be extended highlights released on Monday :(

Extended highlights will be 75mins :lol:
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:20 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
djphilp wrote:Thanks, just seen on Twitter that it’s gonna just be extended highlights released on Monday :(

Extended highlights will be 75mins :lol:

:D :thumbup:
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:21 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Couple of beers in the sun watching Edinburgh score 50pts, season peaked already :)

Kinghorn i thought did pretty well couple of wild moments but you need to make and learn from these in pre-season.

Ritchie carrying on where he left off, would not suprise me if he could nail a drop goal, his all round game is superb breakdown, carrying, tackling and his distribution is top notch.

Would agree with all of this, although I was left frustrated by Kinghorn. Only pre-season of course, but he threw a few terrible passes - one of which led directly to a Benetton try - and his kicking from both tee and hand was pretty poor.

He did however nail one lovely 50:22 kick. That new law is going to be interesting.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:14 am

Impega wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Couple of beers in the sun watching Edinburgh score 50pts, season peaked already :)

Would agree with all of this, although I was left frustrated by Kinghorn. Only pre-season of course, but he threw a few terrible passes - one of which led directly to a Benetton try - and his kicking from both tee and hand was pretty poor.

He did however nail one lovely 50:22 kick. That new law is going to be interesting.

I was at Highland v Heriots Blues yesterday and the 2nd XV were playing Aberdeenshire on the back pitch behind us. The assistant ref in the latter (volunteer from one of the clubs I appreciate) had to be loudly reminded of the new rule at one point! It’s definitely going to take a while to get used to at all levels of the game. The main game was a belter BTW, Highland came from 12 points down at one stage to win it at the death with a conversion from wide right.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby malkster1 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:23 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Kinghorn is 24 year old, the club's youngest ever centurion and he has 25 full international caps.

He's a centurion because when he was 18/19 he was 18 one of the best fullbacks and attacking players in the league. Maybe it is coaching but that is no longer even close to being true.

He maybe has not developed as well as we would have liked but to suggest Hoyland is a better option at FB is nonsense.
malkster1
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:34 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:

Kinghorn himself admits it came too easy to him, and for a long time he was not putting the work in.
Weegie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum