4G turf

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

4G turf

Postby macdone on Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:55 am

I thought this was interesting. I don't know if any of you have played on 4G. I'm too old to have played on anything but grass so I'd be interested to hear people's experiences. I know it's controversial in the NFL - there doesn't seem to be any doubt there are more injuries on artificial turf. A group of players are campaigning for it to be banned. Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqq5UMsOnBE&t=2
macdone
World Cup Star

Re: 4G turf

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:20 am

I think Ryan Wilson nails it really, given the choice players and supporters would prefer grass or hybrid. It does seem that from an injury and aces point of view players do get used to it. I suppose it is like players getting sore when plyin on hard pitched in south africa, but they dont seem to bother

Given the choice between Murrayfield pitch and The Dam, then Id take Murrayfield

Given the choice between Murrayfield with nematodes then Id take The Dam

Im not sure I would want to be a prop scrummaging on it, although it dies give more even footing so they may like it.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:37 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I think Ryan Wilson nails it really, given the choice players and supporters would prefer grass or hybrid. It does seem that from an injury and aces point of view players do get used to it. I suppose it is like players getting sore when plyin on hard pitched in south africa, but they dont seem to bother

Given the choice between Murrayfield pitch and The Dam, then Id take Murrayfield

Im not sure I would want to be a prop scrummaging on it, although it dies give more even footing so they may like it.

The choice isn't nermatodes though. It's grass with the risk of nermatodes as a very rare event. I guess the choice is actually artificial Vs waterlogged pitches/the cost of training elsewhere.

I've played rugby on an artificial pitch, it was awful. The burns I had put me off ever going back.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:48 pm

Wilson I read played every game for the Weegies last season. so not many injuries for him.
Nowell on the other hand has had a number of serious injuries, but AFAIK none happened on an artificial pitch. A couple did happen in England training camps, maybe its England squads he has a problem with, not artificial pitches. Perhaps he should avoid them instead :lol: :lol:

There is a serious debate to be had on this, but don't think I'll be taking seriously stuff spouted from the anti vaxxer squad :eek:
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:58 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I think Ryan Wilson nails it really, given the choice players and supporters would prefer grass or hybrid. It does seem that from an injury and aces point of view players do get used to it. I suppose it is like players getting sore when plyin on hard pitched in south africa, but they dont seem to bother

I did play on hard grounds in SA and you're right, I don't remember many people complaining too much.You wouldn't want to land head first if you could avoid it though.

I can't get my head round playing on artificial turf.The pitch at Kilmarnock where Scotland played Georgia looked particularly bad. It must be ok I guess otherwise you'd hear a flood of complaints not just a trickle.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:58 am

Is that four grounds in the league that are non-grass now: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newport and Cardiff? I don't know much about the injury aspect but that's a reasonable proportion of clubs that are opting for it anyway. We will certainly see fewer games in quagmires come the winter - Rodney Parade has been awful in recent years.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:41 am

joe soap wrote:There is a serious debate to be had on this, but don't think I'll be taking seriously stuff spouted from the anti vaxxer squad :eek:

Just wait till they get on 5G pitches with the hidden spy chips in every blade of "grass" :)

For a NH winter sport with heavy impacts and the intensity of scrums etc Murrayfields hybrid pitch appears to offer the best of both worlds although comes at a considerable cost.

Is it the firmness of the 4G that is the issue? feels odd that the stable and consistent surface could cause more injury unless it is when tackled etc and knees/ankles stick in the surface and get strained rather than grass giving way and allowing further movement
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:28 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
joe soap wrote:There is a serious debate to be had on this, but don't think I'll be taking seriously stuff spouted from the anti vaxxer squad :eek:

Just wait till they get on 5G pitches with the hidden spy chips in every blade of "grass" :)

what a dangerous post. For goodness sake delete it before any of the dullards read it and get ideas :D
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:13 am

Not 4g, but as the most current thread -

From the club site

New Scottish Government legislation on vaccine certification means fans may be asked to prove they are fully vaccinated before attending large events, including those where there is a combination of seated and standing capacity of more than 4,000.

and

Enforcement action has been delayed until Monday 18 October, allowing the club time to test, adapt and build confidence among fans in the practical arrangements of the scheme.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:16 pm

Just play music and call it The Dam nightclub, will buy us a bit of time.

I'm not against the principle, but the time it will take to get everyone in will go up considerably. Given the stated aim is to increase vaccination rather than stopping the spread, i am still unconvinced this is really a good thing.

Far too many issues and anomlyies, of people beign vaccinated in different countries, some having genuine reasons for not being vaccinted, or not being able to get both done. It feels a bit too much control for me.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:55 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Just play music and call it The Dam nightclub, will buy us a bit of time.

I'm not against the principle, but the time it will take to get everyone in will go up considerably. Given the stated aim is to increase vaccination rather than stopping the spread, i am still unconvinced this is really a good thing.

Far too many issues and anomlyies, of people beign vaccinated in different countries, some having genuine reasons for not being vaccinted, or not being able to get both done. It feels a bit too much control for me.

what a load of tosh Boris. Do you not see the relationship between increasing vaccine rates and limiting spread? And limiting spread limiting severe cases, long term covid and deaths?

BTW your pal Douglas at Holyrood thinks if they switch the music off it would no longer be a nightclub. Smart cookie that wee man.

Passports or proof of negative tests are required all over europe. All need to be checked on entry. And funnily enough places like Germany, France, Italy have very very significantly lower numbers of cases. Wonder why that is?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:48 pm

What a horrible little ChristopheBerdos you are.

You don’t know my politics, because I’m not playing politics, rather talking about the process, or rathe lack of it.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:46 pm

Unnecessary political point scoring aside I think vaccine passports are a generally good idea. Anything that encourages more widespread vaccination whilst also increasing confidence of others to attend events in the knowledge that most others in attendance will have had vaccines, is to my mind a good reason.

However I agree that the logistics and guidance are gonna need to be swiftly agreed and put in place so that businesses don’t suffer. The general lack of evidence of any joined up thinking that has been apparent over the last 18months all over the world makes me doubt that there has been much done this time either.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:42 am

Tichtheid wrote:Not 4g, but as the most current thread -

From the club site

New Scottish Government legislation on vaccine certification means fans may be asked to prove they are fully vaccinated before attending large events, including those where there is a combination of seated and standing capacity of more than 4,000.

and

Enforcement action has been delayed until Monday 18 October, allowing the club time to test, adapt and build confidence among fans in the practical arrangements of the scheme.

So there is some potential for extra logistical issues at the ticket gates.

I'm not on the ground in the UK, but I get the impression that pretty much everyone is vaccinated by this point, so this is to persuade the 10% who are holding out?

It doesn't sound like there is too much joined up thinking though, from the information it seems that season ticket holders will have to prove their vaccination status at every match they go to, which isn't particularly efficient.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:12 pm

robdinsdale wrote:

So there is some potential for extra logistical issues at the ticket gates.

I'm not on the ground in the UK, but I get the impression that pretty much everyone is vaccinated by this point, so this is to persuade the 10% who are holding out?

It doesn't sound like there is too much joined up thinking though, from the information it seems that season ticket holders will have to prove their vaccination status at every match they go to, which isn't particularly efficient.

more pish.

Its joined up - you get checked each time to stop you handing your ticket to someone who isn't vaxxed.
It takes how long to scan a ticket? Takes twice as long - ie 2 finger clicks -to scan a ticket and a vaxpass. Its not a problem, except in the heads of those who want it to be
joe soap
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum