Embra v Stormers

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Embra v Stormers

Postby doedin on Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:19 pm

Eventually made my first game at the new stadium!

Stadium and facilities are excellent. Seating is good, big screens were good and didn't notice the pillars to be honest. Good to see excellent bars and food outlets, no queues and plenty of gents and ladies toilets. Stadium generates a good atmosphere and it was good to see it busy. All in all a massive improvement and it should help lift the team.

As to the game the first 40 mins were excellent to watch, the second less so. I thought the Stormers looked like a decent outfit that will scare a few teams this season, especially with their big players back. Their no 8 was superb, best player on the park. After a blistering start we stuttered badly. We couldn't really cope with their rush defence and their game plan was obviously to stop us getting the ball out wide to our strike runners - I think Moyano touched the ball once in attack. We tried to go wide too early, ended up too lateral and Hutchison and Lang struggled. We did well to begin with getting runners coming in on angles off VdW but for some reason didn't use it much in 2nd half. After the two tries the Stormers got their act together and our 9-10-12 axis didn't really have much idea of how to break their defence down. Our pack struggled a bit, De Bruin got a doing in the scrum and Nel made inroads once he came on. Like others I am slightly worried about our TH options this season. None of the front 5 made much of an impact into the Stormers pack, they were all just a bit meh, and didn't really dominate their opposition. Our back row were decent and Big Bill did what Big Bill does and carried all night long.

I think we missed the likes of Bennet, Kinghorn and Watson who all bring something different and a bit of quality to their position and might have tried something different in attack. Hopefully Boffelli will also add pace and imagination to the team. The team we put out just lacked a bit of zip or point of difference.

On last nights display De Bruin is going to have to up his game a few notches at TH if he is to start games. Immelman doesn't look like a 15 to me, he does a job at 15 but I would like to see him start in the centre where I think his pace and strength might be better utilised. VdW needs to play flatter if he is to make 10 his own position, he drifted further and further back into the pocket as the game went on and as their rush defence dominated and he didn't really offer a threat after the first 10 mins. Couldn't make any judgement on Moyano as he never got the ball!

Overall we looked like a team in transition but at least we didnt lose and will get better. Roll on next week.
doedin
World Cup Star

Re: Embra v Stormers

Postby doedin on Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:24 pm

The Chiel wrote:Forgot to say it was nice to see Dave Denton delivering the match ball and getting such a good reception.

Saw him in the gym the other week doing circuits with Tim Visser - the pair of them both look like they could still do a job for us!
doedin
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum