v Bulls Sat 16th

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: v Bulls Sat 16th

Postby Weegie59 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:22 am

Re the comments about the line out, does anyone have an update on Ben Toolis? Seems to have been out for a long time and would offer options in the line out.
Weegie59
Established pro

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:31 am

Croft_No.6 wrote:Post match interview with MOTM Mata was fun with McInally translating the interviewee's Irish accent for him

That was hilarious. :lol:

Re Toolis, I thought today that we really missed him but having said that Sykes and Phillips are big laddies, huge in fact, and our scrum benefitted from their heft.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:52 am

VdW was mostly good again and thought Lang was great. Shiel's performance makes you wonder why he hasn't played more.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:49 am

Weegie59 wrote:Re the comments about the line out, does anyone have an update on Ben Toolis? Seems to have been out for a long time and would offer options in the line out.

Toolis and Glen Young were both listed as long term injuries ahead of first league game I think, don't recall detail of injuries.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:25 am

Good performance, should have been a comfortable win with all the opportunities we had, but good win nonetheless.

Shiel, Bradbury and Schoeman were the standouts from us IMO, any of them could have had PoM. Haven't seen it mentioned too much, but I think Schoeman has really managed to sort his discipline this season (and that's with the team as a whole being very loose the last few games).
On Shiel, I think he's only really had flashes before and wasn't sure if he'd break through but that performance was excellent. Not just the pace when it was on, but picking when to slow down, and then getting great accuracy on the box kicks. Plus going the whole second half without a real 10, his game management was crucial to keeping the pressure on the Bulls. Obviously just one performance so far, but compared to Horne and Vellacott, that looked closer to how Price plays which might well get him into the Scotland squad this season if he can keep it up.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:16 pm

Dare I say it but I think Sheil was better last night than Vellacott was the first 3 games. Still kept the pace high and offered a breaking threat but kicking and game management way better.
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:20 pm

Came away from the game really pleased and impressed overall - it was great to see them close out a game against a team with some seriously good players.

Agree with various comments already posted by others; that was the best I've seen from Sheil, and it's reassuring to see that Blair seems to have him about Pyrgos in his ranking. The pack's physicality was outstanding with Gilchrist and Bradbury putting in their best performances in recent times. The lineouts were a big frustration, but I can't claim to know whether they were just jamesmatthew or if in fact the Bulls were defending them very well.

The ref (Whitehouse) getting a bit of stick from some about their disallowed try, but to me his decision was clearly correct. Definitely one of the better refs in the league, in my opinion, his comms with the players always seem very good.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:44 pm

The Nudger wrote:Dare I say it but I think Sheil was better last night than Vellacott was the first 3 games. Still kept the pace high and offered a breaking threat but kicking and game management way better.

100% this.

First time he has started and showed that sort of control and ability to manage the game. A few more the same and he's #1
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:47 pm

nNw can we back this up next Saturday? i know its "only" Zebre but its away and i suspect Gregor will want to hold back a few players for the Tonga fixture-in particular Gilchrist as Scotland are very are light on 2nd rows in the absence of the English based players,Mcinally,given Brown took a knock yesterday and quite possibly Schoemann and Darcy who've played a fair bit and could have a heavy schedule throughout the Autumn series of games.
Then factor in the stand off injuries plus Lang's likely absence..If Kinghorn's not fit Savala would likely have to start.
Given Glasgow found Zebre a tough nut to crack away from home all in all this will be a good test of our squad strength.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:47 pm

The Nudger wrote:Dare I say it but I think Sheil was better last night than Vellacott was the first 3 games. Still kept the pace high and offered a breaking threat but kicking and game management way better.

100 % this. Best starting display from him. If he can run a few performances together like that he should be #1
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:50 pm

gowrie wrote:..., but I think Schoeman has really managed to sort his discipline this season (and that's with the team as a whole being very loose the last few games).

He was in press quite a bit last week with his call up and match v bulls coming up, can't remember which article it was but he said one of the reasons he sold Proper Pioneer to WP was to focus fully on rugby, short career and time for other things after. Perhaps the chance of international honours has focused his mind. Spoke well about representing Scotland as well acknowledging it was never his childhood dream but that life moves on change etc and he sees Scotland as ' home' now sounds very similar to WPs path which has got to be a good thing.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:39 pm

Really impressed with our physicality against a big and aggressive Bulls pack.

I thought Crosbie and Bradbury were outstanding, very aggressive and created mayhem all night. Front row were impressive and Nel once again showed that he is an outstanding TH. Gilchrist is getting back to the form that caught the eye of the French teams and as others have said Sykes will grow into a big bruiser.Big Bill did what he does every week!

Shiel had good control of the game and played intelligently in difficult conditions for a scrummie, VdW looked reassured and more positive than last week. The rest of the backs played well but I think Bennet brings something extra to the back line, it's good to see him having fun and playing good rugby, he is our most important back at the moment. I don't think we dropped a ball all night? My only criticism is that we look to defend quite narrow at times and the Bulls obviously thought they could capitalise on that with the cross field kicks.

With Kinghorn and VdW injured (VdW looked like a dislocated shoulder to me) and Lang looking dodgy too then we may be light on 10s for the next match v Zebra. Might be a chance for one of the young guys to shine.

As Blair said, it is taking us time to settle with the new game plan but for me the biggest difference with his approach is that the players look like they are enjoying playing for him and enjoying taking responsibility for the game rather than the play by numbers from Cockerill. Bennet played with a smile on his face and said as much in the post match interviews. Big Bill said the same. Reassuring to hear Blair say that they weren't going to forget the good stuff from the Cockerill years and in weather like Saturdays a good kicking game won us the match.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:51 pm

Have to agree, Shiel’s game management was definitely better than Vellacott has demonstrated thus far.

He was a bit rusty at times still but with more game time I think he has more to offer than Vellacott all around. I’d personally like to see Shiel as our starting 9, with Vellacott coming on when the game is more broken up and the defences are tired, as our Eddie Jones style finisher.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum