v Dragons Sat 27th of November.

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: v Dragons Sat 27th of November.

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:15 pm

Selection for next week will be really tough, assuming no new injuries, we should be able to field a really strong 23 with a bench that can make a real impact.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:05 am

macdone wrote:Really chuffed with how Jamie Hodgson has come on. He's a presence in the lineout and work rate is off the charts.

Hodgson is not a very athletic young man, but he is remorseless. Very much like the younger Gray, he has a massive engine and just keeps on, and on, and on. Having said that, I think he is a better ball carrier than Gray was at Glasgow.

Sykes is apparently a very friendly chap off the pitch, a big softy in fact. But his demeanour changes when he crosses the white line and is becoming the kind of second row Wagga excelled at. He is tough, uncompromising, but not daft.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:18 am

Selection for this Friday will be extremely interesting.

As ever, the back-row possibilities are just endless; Crosbie and Bradbury in particular were superb on Saturday and I'd like to see them hold onto their shirts. However there's a good chance Watson, Ritchie and Mata will be straight back in, perhaps with Bradbury and Crosbie benching at numbers 19 and 20.

Hopefully Lang's injury isn't too bad, I was excited by the idea of him and Currie playing together.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:12 pm

Weegie wrote:
macdone wrote:Really chuffed with how Jamie Hodgson has come on. He's a presence in the lineout and work rate is off the charts.

Hodgson is not a very athletic young man, but he is remorseless. Very much like the younger Gray, he has a massive engine and just keeps on, and on, and on. Having said that, I think he is a better ball carrier than Gray was at Glasgow.

Sykes is apparently a very friendly chap off the pitch, a big softy in fact. But his demeanour changes when he crosses the white line and is becoming the kind of second row Wagga excelled at. He is tough, uncompromising, but not daft.

The problem with Hodgson I think will prove to be size but he's an excellent club player. The new Fraz Mckenzie!

I'd have Sykes in every game. That absolute aggression is something no second row since Hines and Jason White had. He's in my team everyday.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:26 pm

Hodgson was the main lineout target from what I could see on Saturday, he and Sykes make a good pairing, both of them were aggressive and accurate in the clearing out.

I hope we get Toolis back to add to the depth available, Phillips looks to be a pretty big unit.

There are some nice selection headaches brewing this season, long may it continue.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:33 pm

Weegie wrote:

I'll admit that the first time I saw Hodgson play I didn't think he had the physical attributes but as well as bulking up in the last year he's also shown himself able to put himself about very effectively.

Probably helps that Sykes is built like the proverbial outhouse as well.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:23 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Hodgson was the main lineout target from what I could see on Saturday, he and Sykes make a good pairing, both of them were aggressive and accurate in the clearing out.

I hope we get Toolis back to add to the depth available, Phillips looks to be a pretty big unit.

There are some nice selection headaches brewing this season, long may it continue.

And Glen Young to return.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:26 pm

I think I'd go:
Venter, McInally, Nel, GG, Hodgson, Ritchie, Crosbie, Mata

Vellacott, Kinghorn, Graham, Hutchinson, Currie, Hoyland, Boffelli

Cherry, Schoeman, De Bruin/Williams, Sykes, Bradbury, Pyrgos, Savala/VdW, Immelmann

Admittedly it is a bit mental to leave Watson out, and I probably wouldn't if I were Blair, however I don't think he understandably looked at his best in the NI's and Crosbie has been good this season. There has to be rewards for players who are performing well.

Bofelli probably could do with a break so I'd give him the Sarries game off.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:17 pm

BigD163 wrote:I think I'd go:
Venter, McInally, Nel, GG, Hodgson, Ritchie, Crosbie, Mata

Vellacott, Kinghorn, Graham, Hutchinson, Currie, Hoyland, Boffelli

Cherry, Schoeman, De Bruin/Williams, Sykes, Bradbury, Pyrgos, Savala/VdW, Immelmann

Admittedly it is a bit mental to leave Watson out, and I probably wouldn't if I were Blair, however I don't think he understandably looked at his best in the NI's and Crosbie has been good this season. There has to be rewards for players who are performing well.

Bofelli probably could do with a break so I'd give him the Sarries game off.

I actually agree with you on Crosbie/Watson. Don't think Hamish was even looking properly fit in the AIs, they might have brought him back too soon from his injury.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:24 pm

Doesn’t it feel great to have selection problems, roll on Friday night. Could it be a sell out crowd?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:10 pm

I would probably agree to rest Watson further too, though we don't see how he is performing in training. If we are selecting Big Bill and Ritchie we have the choice, in no particular order, of Bradbury, Crosbie, Kunavula, Haining, Boyle and Muncaster. I thought the three starters last week all deserved to keep the shirt, though. I suppose a lot will depend on where the internationals are regarding R&R.

Re Hoyland, it would be criminal, almost, to drop him, but it might happen. Blair was talking in the press about how he selected Boffeli and Moyano as a pair and how Boffeli's English isn't fluent whereas Moyano's is. That could mean that if we start Darcy, Hoyland may have to give way.

Venter v Schoey is absolutely the kind of headache we want. Matt Currie's distribution is top notch, him v a fit Bennett is going to be another tough call, though Mark Bennett looked on fire before injury
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:16 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Re Hoyland, it would be criminal, almost, to drop him, but it might happen. Blair was talking in the press about how he selected Boffeli and Moyano as a pair and how Boffeli's English isn't fluent whereas Moyano's is. That could mean that if we start Darcy, Hoyland may have to give way.

On second thoughts I wouldn't be opposed to Graham missing out this one. IIRC Ioane will be on the opposite wing and at times Graham reverted to being a speed bump in defence during the AI's against more physical wingers.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:55 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

On second thoughts I wouldn't be opposed to Graham missing out this one. IIRC Ioane will be on the opposite wing and at times Graham reverted to being a speed bump in defence during the AI's against more physical wingers.

Did he? I think the only big winger he played was Walter Fifita Vs Tonga who had a 50 metre run up. Good luck to any international winger on that tackle. When Graham had slowed him down (and saved a try as it allowed cover to get there) Kinghorn also couldn't take Fifita down who was standing still and took I think two Scotland players to manage it. The man is a total beast and going to be hard for anyone in a one on one. Then Graham played Australia and Japan after and neither have a big winger.

I think selection in the back row and back three is impossible as you always will leave a good player out. If Moyano is needed to translate for Boffeli currently it gets even harder! Nobody deserves to be dropped so maybe don't bring any international back yet?

I'd continue with Currie. He's the future for Edinburgh and Scotland. Unlucky for Bennett though.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:02 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
BigD163 wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

Did he? I think the only big winger he played was Walter Fifita Vs Tonga who had a 50 metre run up. Good luck to any international winger on that tackle. When Graham had slowed him down (and saved a try as it allowed cover to get there) Kinghorn also couldn't take Fifita down who was standing still and took I think two Scotland players to manage it. The man is a total beast and going to be hard for anyone in a one on one. Then Graham played Australia and Japan after and neither have a big winger.

I think selection in the back row and back three is impossible as you always will leave a good player out. If Moyano is needed to translate for Boffeli currently it gets even harder! Nobody deserves to be dropped so maybe don't bring any international back yet?

I'd continue with Currie. He's the future for Edinburgh and Scotland. Unlucky for Bennett though.

Was definitely bumped off in one of the two others. Might have been a centre but was definitely bumped off. Across those games he made 5 tackles and missed 6, his defence needs to be better.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:43 pm

Weegie wrote:

Both of our locks are in the URC fantasy team of the week. Hodgson had 13 carries, 10 tackles and 7 (!) lineout takes. Sykes also put the work in with 12 tackles.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum