Benetton, 3rd Dec 2021

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Benetton, 3rd Dec 2021

Postby TheSmidge on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:42 am

I'm expecting a strong team to make sure that we keep momentum going. However, there is definitely a case for rewarding those who played so well last week. I would go for:

1. Schoeman
2. McInally
3. Nel
4. Sykes
5. Hodgson
6. Ritchie
7. Crosbie
8. Bradbury
9. Vellacott
10. Kinghorn
11. Graham
12. Lang (if fit)
13. Currie
14. Hoyland
15. Boffelli

16. Cherry
17. Venter
18. De Bruin
19. Mata
20. Watson
21. Pyrgos
22. Savala
23. Moyano

I wouldn't be surprised to see Gilcho come in, which would change the bench blend (Mata or Bradbury covers 2nd row).

Referee is Adam Jones (WRU, 12th league game), ARs Finlay Brown (SRU) and Ross Mabon (SRU), TMO Ian Davies (WRU). If memory serves correctly, Jones is a real fusspot.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Re: Benetton, 3rd Dec 2021

Postby doedin on Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:34 am

Number of difficult calls and Blair has said he is going to make sure everyone is involved and gets game time. Benetton are a good team, big up front, have a good kicking game and some nippy backs. They are a step up from Dragons in most departments so we will need to be even better than last week.

I expect to see some rotation in the front row but they all get game time and will play their part so not too fussed who starts and who finishes, all our options look strong. I would feel a bit sorry for McBurney if he didnt appear after last weeks display. I agree that GC will probably start. Back row is interesting - do we play Watson who has looked off the pace and give him game time to get back to his usual top form or do we keep MoTM from last week Crosbie? I would keep Bradbury at 8, he was terrific last week and Big Bill of the bench will be a treat! We should have enough for parity and perhaps dominance up front.

Backs are more interesting. They looked a fairly cohesive unit last week, probably due to time on the practice field. I would be tempted to keep our Argentinians in the team and let Graham cover back 3 off the bench. If Laing isn't fit then I would quite like to see Immelman in the centre, he has been played out of position at FB through necessity but I suspect he is a better centre than a FB? We might even see him on the wing perhaps? I think he deserves a run out in a preferred position. I expect the half backs to be the same as last week, there seems to be a real desire to see Kinghorn make it at 10 so suspect they will persevere with it, I don't disagree.

It will be tougher match than we might expect of hope for but a win for me, possibly even a TB point if weather stays ok?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:42 pm

Have to agree with keeping the status quo on the park, we have a strong bench and can mix it up as we feel the need at 40/50 minutes, I’d like to see Immelmann given a shot in his own position just to see what he can do, Benetton are much improved but I feel we can do enough to take the points, keep penalties to minimum and it’s in our own hands.
Now off to look out the thermals for Friday night.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:15 pm

Venter, Cherry, Nel, Hodgson, Gilcho, Bradbury, Watson, Bill

Vellacott, Kinghorn, Hoyland, Lang, Currie, Graham, Boffelli

Rambo, Schoeman, Atalifo, Sykes, Ritchie, Pyrgos, Savala, Bennett.

Wow!
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:21 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Venter, Cherry, Nel, Hodgson, Gilcho, Bradbury, Watson, Bill

Wow!

Decent team and a bit of firepower on the bench.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:29 pm

Benetton Rugby:

15 Rhyno Smith (4)
14 Ratuva Tavuyara (49)
13 Ignacio Brex (47)
12 Tommaso Menoncello (7)
11 Monty Ioane (72)
10 Leonardo Marin (5)
9 Dewaldt Duvenage (c) (61)
8 Toa Halafihi (39)
7 Michele Lamaro (27)
6 Giovanni Pettinelli (52)
5 Federico Ruzza (77)
4 Niccolò Cannone (33)
3 Tiziano Pasquali (89)
2 Hame Faiva (56)
1 Federico Zani (56)

16 Gianmarco Lucchesi (19), 17 Thomas Gallo (18), 18 Ivan Nemer (22), 19 Carl Wegner (4), 20 Manuel Zuliani (20), 21 Alessandro Garbisi (1), 22 Joaquin Riera (19), 23 Edoardo Padovani (13).
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:31 pm

Looks good! I see both Crosbie and Immelman are listed as injured - shame as Crosbie was just getting back to full speed and was looking like the player we all know he could become. Good to see Bennet back fit and ready to come on.

We really look like we have real strength in depth now - number of players can't make the 23, such as Haining, Boyle, Sheil, Hutchison, Dean, Johnson, Moyano
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:49 pm

Thought Bradbury might have been given the captaincy for his 100th appearance? I can't recall if he ever actually got to lead the team 4/5 years when he was captain for the season and was then "relieved" of his post by Cockerill for some "over-enthusiastic behaviour" shall we say!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:56 pm

Wow!

That's a very good team, on paper at least. Plenty of grunt, quite a lot of nous, some electric possibilities in the back,, and a strong bench. We should be too strong for them, but they will be looking to build on last week's win and this is the kid of challenge we should be rising to.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:56 pm

Cammo Gunner wrote:Benetton Rugby:

15 Rhyno Smith (4)
14 Ratuva Tavuyara (49)
13 Ignacio Brex (47)
11 Monty Ioane (72)
10 Leonardo Marin (5)
8 Toa Halafihi (39)
7 Michele Lamaro (27)
5 Federico Ruzza (77)
4 Niccolò Cannone (33)
3 Tiziano Pasquali (89)
2 Hame Faiva (56)
1 Federico Zani (56)

16 Gianmarco Lucchesi (19), 17 Thomas Gallo (18), 18 Ivan Nemer (22), 19 Carl Wegner (4), 20 Manuel Zuliani (20), 21 Alessandro Garbisi (1), 22 Joaquin Riera (19), 23 Edoardo Padovani (13).

Looks very similar to the team that beat the Weegies last week, we'll need to be on our game.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:59 pm

TheSmidge wrote:

Wow!

That's a very good team, on paper at least. Plenty of grunt, quite a lot of nous, some electric possibilities in the back,, and a strong bench. We should be too strong for them, but they will be looking to build on last week's win and this is the kid of challenge we should be rising to.

Aye, my wow was at some of the guys not coming straight back in, but that is how it should be, you play very well you keep the shirt.

I hope Lang and Currie back up last week's performances, though to be fair Hutchison was good when he came on for Lang too.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:13 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Cammo Gunner wrote:Benetton Rugby:

15 Rhyno Smith (4)
14 Ratuva Tavuyara (49)
13 Ignacio Brex (47)
11 Monty Ioane (72)
10 Leonardo Marin (5)
8 Toa Halafihi (39)
7 Michele Lamaro (27)
5 Federico Ruzza (77)
4 Niccolò Cannone (33)
3 Tiziano Pasquali (89)
2 Hame Faiva (56)
1 Federico Zani (56)

Looks very similar to the team that beat the Weegies last week, we'll need to be on our game.

They've also been quite competitive in their away games so far this season, only Ulster have been able to put them away comfortably.

I'm actually looking forward to the game as a spectacle, I like the way Benetton play.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:15 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
TheSmidge wrote:

Wow!

Aye, my wow was at some of the guys not coming straight back in, but that is how it should be, you play very well you keep the shirt.

I hope Lang and Currie back up last week's performances, though to be fair Hutchison was good when he came on for Lang too.

Lang has been adding an extra bit of creativity to our back play, I could see him starting at 12 in the 6 Nations if he continues in this form.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:27 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

They've also been quite competitive in their away games so far this season, only Ulster have been able to put them away comfortably.

I'm actually looking forward to the game as a spectacle, I like the way Benetton play.

To be fair, they've had four of their six games at home, Ospreys beat them in Treviso and Glasgow and ourselves gifted them a game each in absurd fashion.

Scarlets took 34 points off them in Llanelli, I hope we can do better, but I agree on how they are playing, it should make for a good match.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:05 pm

I think I would have been tempted to have Bill or Bradbury on the bench, Im not sue it works well with both on the pitch at the same time as they are quite similar in the spaces they look to work in. Also would give a real lift and go forward in the secodn half with one of them coming on. We lost our go forward over in Italy and lost the match which we shoudl have won.

Good to see Bennet back, Id really like to see him and Lang form a partnership over a few games, they could compliment each other really well.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum