Benetton, 3rd Dec 2021

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Benetton, 3rd Dec 2021

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:58 pm

BigD163 wrote:
TheSmidge wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Good BP win against a very stuffy side, we didn't play brilliantly but 5 points will do.

Maggie was immense

Good summary.

Some of the combinations were a little "off" to me. Not convinced by Gilchrist and Hodgson as a pairing, for example.

And I wouldn't be sure that Hodgson be the one that should give way.

It would be a big call, but Sykes and Hodgson did go well last week, the opposition today was a big step up and there are bigger steps to come.
Gilcho is a proven international who has recovered some of his form in a Scotland jersey.

btw, I thought our scrum was excellent today, even without WP

Would add I don't think we should be disrupting the flow.of our game to.move a 10 just for a winger injury. Kinghorn stays at 10 and we win that game far more comfortably.

I kind of agree, but going on last week Savala coming on and Kinghorn going out to the wing is a planned change which was perhaps forced a bit earlier than they would have liked this evening.

I thought the laddie did well without being outstanding
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:19 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I kind of agree, but going on last week Savala coming on and Kinghorn going out to the wing is a planned change which was perhaps forced a bit earlier than they would have liked this evening.

After 60 or whatever is fine, but if the default is that a back 3 player goes down we move our key play maker to the wing then I think that's questionable. Train all week to plan with Kinghorn at 10 potentially moving him from minute 1 if there is an injury causes too big a disruption for a position on the pitch of possibly the least importance. There was a definite drop off in the play after the switch imo. It isn't a dig at Savala he'll develop but the idea of being willing to move the main play maker at a drop of the hat.

If Kinghorn is the 10, he needs to be treated like one. Very few clubs would punt their key playmaker to the wing at the first injury.

On GG I agree he's playing well, just saying I don't think it is clear that if there was an issue with the GG/Hodgson partnership then it be a given that it is Hodgson to drop out.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:42 pm

I think that's our fifth try bonus point tonight.

Last season we got one.

One, in sixteen games.

I hope Kinghorn is okay, he fell like a tree, completely pole-axed.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:13 am

It didn’t look good for Kighorn, hopefully looked worse but he got some crack from Pyrgos.

I agree with not moving Kinghorn, I’m not sure why Savala was on the bench, Lang can cover 10 and we have loads of cover for full back. Was it just injuries, Moyano is, is Blain still injured? Owsley hasn’t really been seen, looked decent for Southern knights.

We could be getting a bit bare if Moyano and Damo are not good. Bennet is a more than adequate winger though, 8mmelman is billed as playing on the wing but has looked pretty one paced.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:54 am

BigD163 wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:I kind of agree, but going on last week Savala coming on and Kinghorn going out to the wing is a planned change which was perhaps forced a bit earlier than they would have liked this evening.

After 60 or whatever is fine, but if the default is that a back 3 player goes down we move our key play maker to the wing then I think that's questionable. Train all week to plan with Kinghorn at 10 potentially moving him from minute 1 if there is an injury causes too big a disruption for a position on the pitch of possibly the least importance. There was a definite drop off in the play after the switch imo. It isn't a dig at Savala he'll develop but the idea of being willing to move the main play maker at a drop of the hat.

If Kinghorn is the 10, he needs to be treated like one. Very few clubs would punt their key playmaker to the wing at the first injury.

On GG I agree he's playing well, just saying I don't think it is clear that if there was an issue with the GG/Hodgson partnership then it be a given that it is Hodgson to drop out.

Kinghorn did not look too happy at the move either however both need game time at 10 to develop (wonder what story is with Chamberlain not had a look in) so no bad thing ultimately.

Kinghorn does need to work on his place kicking we have boffelli now who is good but there looked a couple that I thought Kinghorn should have converted, wrong side of pitch for me live, but anything 5+ metres in from touch needs to be going over.

Overall good BP win against a difficult side, bigger tests to come accuracy needs to improve and errors reduce but overall a positive outing.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:24 am

As others have mentioned, a good result despite not playing all that well against a decent team.

Kinghorn's kicking from hand (in the first half at least) was puzzling to me. He puts the ball so high into the air, which from kick-offs is actually very effective. But when kicking penalties to touch the height seemed very much at the expense of distance, and the lineouts were subsequently much further back than they ought to have been.

I'd struggle to kick a ball to the end of my moderately-sized garden, so perhaps I'm showing ignorance here, but others around me were also voicing surprise. To be fair, his kicks seemed better in the second half.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:27 am

TheSmidge wrote:
Referee is Adam Jones (WRU, 12th league game), ARs Finlay Brown (SRU) and Ross Mabon (SRU), TMO Ian Davies (WRU). If memory serves correctly, Jones is a real fusspot.

Good shout. He was indeed a fusspot - two of the "extra roll" penalties early on were nonsense. In fairness he was mostly consistently fussy, albeit with little empathy. I'd be interested to see if he'll make those decisions at a packed RDS or Thomond . . . but he's a ref you need to prepare for.

Decent win against a good but certainly not top level side. Never felt totally comfortable but definitely credit to Benetton for that. Impressed by the scrum. Whilst I accept it's usually easier to come on against a tiring team, Pyrgos looks at least twice the player he was under Cockerill.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:00 pm

Overall a decent performance, Holland’s tackle was huge but he was struggling a little almost the entire time on the pitch and maybe should have gone off earlier.
Would we put Vd Walt at wing from 10? If not, then Kinghorn should be staying in position too.
I think/hope we can continue to improve and gel as a team and that will help us against the big sides we have yet to play in the league later in the season. Overall went home happy and optimistic.

Has Henry had new Duracell’s fitted? So much pace from him lately.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:09 pm

A good win against a stuffy Benetton side. We were a bit imprecise in attack at times but in all the excitement I suspect we have all forgotten that we are still developing and learning about how Blair wants us to play, we are still in transition but there is obviously a lot of work going into training.

Our defence was excellent again, only one try conceded and that was a scrappy close range one. Otherwise we did really well defensively, particularly against their speedy back 3. Scrum was good but line out still work in progress, ball we win can be a bit scrappy. Back row again excellent and Bradbury deservedly MOTM.

Unlike the other week I thought our centres were a bit of the pace last night and Currie had a poor game. However he will learn and is still a great prospect. Bennet looked the part when he came on and I suspect we will see him starting next week.

Pyrgos has always been capable of playing a fast game, he did it with the Weegies, he was just following Cockerill's orders for the past few years. He certainly looked hungry and actually sped up the game for us.

Regards the Kinghorn/ Savala substitution and who played where - I suspect Blair knows more about who should play where and why and will have prepared the team accordingly - no criticism from me for the moves.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:36 pm

Ultimately if Kinghorn isn't the 10 though and the switch doesn't move you need to have given Savala and Chamberlain gametime too. It's a tricky balance.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum