Saracens -11th December 3.15pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Saracens -11th December 3.15pm

Postby liveinhope on Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:51 pm

Any news of TV coverage? Nothing listed but I have a recollection that last year or year before that a lot of the games were shown (online on BT Sport?) though only announced very late on ie day before or day of the game.
It would be a great pity if a rare chance to go up against such a huge club as Saracens were not shown given the almost blanket coverage of just about every rugby match these days.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Re: Saracens -11th December 3.15pm

Postby TheSmidge on Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:14 pm

liveinhope wrote:Any news of TV coverage? Nothing listed but I have a recollection that last year or year before that a lot of the games were shown (online on BT Sport?) though only announced very late on ie day before or day of the game.
It would be a great pity if a rare chance to go up against such a huge club as Saracens were not shown given the almost blanket coverage of just about every rugby match these days.

I think it was EPCR that showed a lot of them online, after BT had picked out one or two matches for live transmission. The EPCR streamed games were ok, just lacking commentary, but it was possible to sync radio commentary on some of them.

I would imagine that any game involving Sarries will be high on BT’s priority list for broadcasting though.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:47 pm

No coverage apparently. Also would guess that Sarries will not field some of their top players given Prem priorities. Edinburgh might expect to face the likes of Swinson and Hunter Hill at second row. Farrell and George are injured so maybe levels up some areas of the contest for us.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:04 pm

Any word of our injury list after the match on Friday?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:19 pm

I thought I had seen the game was being streamed on the ERC site, but can't find any mention of it on the site.
It does say all ERC games will be shown live on BT, which doesn't leave much room for the Challenge Cup in the early rounds. Certainly BT have two other ERC games at the same time as the Sarries game this weekend, and I can't see any red button facility at the moment.

Ref is Tual Trainini of France, who I confess rings no bells with me at all.

Trophyhunter's point above about how seriously Sarries take this is very relevant, particular after their arm wrestle with Exeter last weekend.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby toocoldhere on Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:18 pm

There was a tweet the other day where EPCR confirmed that it will be streamed on their website
toocoldhere
Established pro

Postby Rico on Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:23 pm

Trophyhunter wrote:No coverage apparently. Also would guess that Sarries will not field some of their top players given Prem priorities. Edinburgh might expect to face the likes of Swinson and Hunter Hill at second row. Farrell and George are injured so maybe levels up some areas of the contest for us.

Very much hoping that Edinburgh do likewise in terms of fielding a weakened team. As ever, the league must come first; and most especially so with the 1872 games coming up.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:59 pm

Rico wrote:
Trophyhunter wrote:No coverage apparently. Also would guess that Sarries will not field some of their top players given Prem priorities. Edinburgh might expect to face the likes of Swinson and Hunter Hill at second row. Farrell and George are injured so maybe levels up some areas of the contest for us.

Very much hoping that Edinburgh do likewise in terms of fielding a weakened team. As ever, the league must come first; and most especially so with the 1872 games coming up.

Sarries is a great challenge, especially away. I'd like to see a strong team out and maybe can sneak a win if Sarries do rest players.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:53 pm

We have-unusually-no game the following weekend so no need to field a weakened side surely.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:25 pm

liveinhope wrote:We have-unusually-no game the following weekend so no need to field a weakened side surely.

Well there’s the risk of first team players getting injured, for one thing.

I always think we miss a trick with the Challenge Cup. We’re forever talking about X, Y and Z fringe players not being given game time/opportunities - that is exactly what this sort of fixture should be for (and is exactly how teams like Saracens will treat it). If Edinburgh get through to the knock-out stages, fine, play the XV then. Just not worth putting out a full strength team otherwise.

Quite sure others would disagree though!
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:36 pm

Given we have no games on international weekends this season we do need matches where young/fringe players are given the chance to play.

Could always split it, Brive and Pau at home are possibly better games to look at development. Perhaps go with a bit more experience in key positions away from home while still resting key players.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:50 pm

Sorry I can't post the link but confirmation today from EPPCR that the match will be streamed-but unlike last year there is a charge.The match can be purchased on epcrugby.tv for £4.99.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:50 am

Given Mata is out, I think Muncaster should get the start. I would be wrapping Bradbury in cotton wool for the Glasgow games.

The Glasgow games are potentially season defining, the Saracens game isn't.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:16 pm

Or it is a huge chance to make a mark and build confidence

Given we have time off next week, I think a bit of continuity would be useful . We have a fair bit of depth which will allow us to rotate without weakening hugely. I think we are giving game time to some young players, probably not enough, but its always hard to do that and be competitive. When players have come in they have looked good, so they are obviously getting that they need.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:26 pm

I tend to agree with BIgD163 that ultimately the Challenge Cup games don't matter and only the URC games do -and that is the route to next year's Champions Cup of course.
But Saracens away is a terrific challenge and it would be tremendous to put down a good performance there (Glasgow were pretty poor in both there matches against them in the last 2/3 years). recent selections have shown that we appear to have much more serious competition for the 23 than in recent years so Blair should be able to mix and match a bit without weakening the line up. Injuries to Mata and Hoyland don't help but we have excellent cover for them in Bradbury/Haining and Moyana.And we have the following weekend off whilst Glasgow will be hosting Exeter so the need for "cottonwooling" some players is not as necessary.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum