Saracens -11th December 3.15pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Saracens -11th December 3.15pm

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:47 pm

liveinhope wrote:Yes with Itoje starting Sarries were missing-Farrell,Maitland,Koch,George and (arguably) Swinson from their strongest team (Wray and Davies benching).
We were missing Graham,Hoyland,Kinghorn,Mata and Ritchie from our likely 1st XV -so pretty even on that score.
(I believe all these were injuries with only Koch resting.)

You could add Toolis to our list I think. Hoyland a question mark, but could add currie May be ahead of Bennet arguably.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:44 pm

Anyone else get the impression from the streaming coverage that the commentary was by an (understandably slightly biased) Saracens member? Dis d well in the circumstances but clearly not his day job.
Also sounded like a bit more support from the stands for Edinburgh than might have been expected.Anyone there get any feeling for how many were down-a few hundred?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:05 pm

liveinhope wrote:Anyone else get the impression from the streaming coverage that the commentary was by an (understandably slightly biased) Saracens member? Dis d well in the circumstances but clearly not his day job.
Also sounded like a bit more support from the stands for Edinburgh than might have been expected.Anyone there get any feeling for how many were down-a few hundred?

It was a good crowd it's hard to guess but I'd say 500-750. A lot of Scottish expats at the match I got the impression from the pubs.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:54 pm

Thanks-I had forgotten about the Scottish diaspora.Had it not been for pandemic concerns I suspect another few hundred might have travelled for a pre Xmas weekend in London
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:37 am

liveinhope wrote:Anyone else get the impression from the streaming coverage that the commentary was by an (understandably slightly biased) Saracens member? Dis d well in the circumstances but clearly not his day job.

Dunno if they were a Saracens member, but as far as I can tell, any professional in the English rugby media watches zero non-English rugby so not surprising they were only familiar with the home team.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Croft_No.6 on Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:47 pm

Saracens' European Challenge Cup game with Pau on Saturday has been called off after positive Covid-19 tests at the English club.

The former European champions say they have experienced an outbreak "within the training ground environment".

Saracens have shut the training ground and all players, coaches and support staff have gone into isolation.

Pau will be given a 28-0 win and five points in Pool C as a result of the decision to cancel the game.
Croft_No.6
International

Postby liveinhope on Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:49 pm

Sarries match v Pau on saturday cancelled due to Covid cases in the Sarries camp.Pau awarded a 28-0 bonus point victory.
Hopefully no transmission to our team/staff at the weekend.
Implications for our pool are probably to our benefit though not really how we'd want to see things.Certainly increases our chances of finishing higher up in the pool and qualifying and getting a home last 16 match given Pau didn't pick up any match points on Saturday against London Irish.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:17 pm

The way things are going with covid, gettng the URC and European competitions completed this season is going to be a huge challenge.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:14 am

liveinhope wrote:Implications for our pool are probably to our benefit though not really how we'd want to see things.Certainly increases our chances of finishing higher up in the pool and qualifying and getting a home last 16 match given Pau didn't pick up any match points on Saturday against London Irish.

Pau probably aren't that interested given that they rolled over at home to London Irish and given that 3 teams (possibly 4) out of 5 go through and Challenge Cup teams get home advantage in the last 16, we are quite well set after that first away win.

It's not a very exciting pool format in this competition.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum