1872 2021

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 2021

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:11 pm

1872 part2 postponed as well now.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:13 pm

Sundays game off too.

Glasgow must have a lot of cases, if Edinburgh had 17 and the game was going ahead. Although I wouldn’t be shocked if money came into this too for the murrayfield leg.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Croft_No.6 on Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:46 pm

To be fair I don't blame the SRU if it is a bit 'contrived' but I do expect there are numerous cases, as indicted by the Edinburgh team for the first leg. I doubt the European games will go ahead, over 200k cases in France and also SA games may be uncertain if not justified. This latest version of the virus will do the rounds and then there will to a degree be a reset. At some point it becomes something we all very much live with. Life has to get back to some normality at some point
Croft_No.6
International

Postby liveinhope on Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:56 am

Given Cardiff (unlike Edinburgh) now have a covid outbreak and their game on Saturday is also off lets hope that there is sufficient time for them to recover/isolate in time for the fixture next Sat (8th January).It will already be four weeks by then since Edinburgh have played.From a Scotland perspective players are going to need games soon or we will be going into the Calcutta Cup very undercooked compared to England.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:38 pm

Email re rescheduling of 1872. End of season at Murrayfield seems sensible the other rearranged games possibly not ideal if travelling for 6N but not sure what other options league had.

The decisive 1872 Cup derby between Edinburgh Rugby and Glasgow Warriors has been rescheduled for the last regular game of the URC season, setting up a blockbuster finish to the championship for the Scottish sides who will now meet at BT Murrayfield Stadium on the weekend of 21 May (kick-off TBC).

The traditional festive season double header was postponed in December due to Covid-19, with the Scotstoun leg now taking place on Friday 18 March (kick-off 7.35pm) and Edinburgh’s away match against Leinster switching to Friday 11 February (kick-off 6pm).
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:15 pm

Suppose both sides will be hobbled by internationals being away for the away game, not what we all wanted to see, similarly game against Leinster sides weakened by players away, maybe us more than Leinster?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:18 am

No the ideal time but very few choices.

They really need to publish the kick off time asap for the murrayfield leg, a lot of people who bought tickets for Janaury will have been travelling and a lot of children usually go to that game, a Saturday afternoon kick off will enable them to attend in a way that Friday at 8pm isnt. The irish teams will want the same though, so we may get bumped.

This will undoubtedly throw up questions with derby games being played which could decide final league placings.

The Leinster & Glasgow games during the 6n is far from ideal. Leinster away is a free hit for us though, it was always going to be tough to get anything from that so nothing to lose. Suppose Glasgow will be without a similar number of players to us, our key loss will be Kinghorn, obviously Glasgow will lose Price to balance that though. We have decent depth now though, and the XV we can put out shoudl still be more than decent and an opportunity for the likes of Muncaster, Currie and Hutchison to really put down another marker. Unless biobubbles are operating we should get a few back for that one too.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:54 am

Pitfitter446 wrote:Suppose both sides will be hobbled by internationals being away for the away game, not what we all wanted to see, similarly game against Leinster sides weakened by players away, maybe us more than Leinster?

I think Leinster B is still very strong, I doubt we'll get much out of that game.

I fancy our non-international pack more than Glasgow's and I feel like we've been rotating the squad better than them this season, but it might depend on how many of the fringe internationals get released.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:56 am

Could be a great crowd at Murrayfield, especially if Scotland have a good 6 Nations.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:51 am

robdinsdale wrote:
Pitfitter446 wrote:Suppose both sides will be hobbled by internationals being away for the away game, not what we all wanted to see, similarly game against Leinster sides weakened by players away, maybe us more than Leinster?

I think Leinster B is still very strong, I doubt we'll get much out of that game.

I fancy our non-international pack more than Glasgow's and I feel like we've been rotating the squad better than them this season, but it might depend on how many of the fringe internationals get released.

Leinster's F team would still be mostly Ireland internationals!

Venter, Cherry, De Bruin, Sykes, Hodgson (guessing he's not in the 23s), Kunavula, Crosbie, Muncaster, Shiel, Savala, Moyano, Hutchison, Currie, Bofelli, Immelman. It's a strong side.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:27 am

I suspect Crosbie and De Bruin still injured.Moyano and Lang were quoted by Blair earlier in the week as touch and go for this week I think.If Hodgson held back then Young looks a good replacement.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum