Ospreys v EDI Sat 29th 1715 Ko

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Ospreys v EDI Sat 29th 1715 Ko

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:58 pm

Leinster lose to Cardiff, we are still top of table with Glasgow 2nd.

Probably bad omen for 6N if clubs going well! :twisted:
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:40 am

Just viewed recording . We scored when they were 14 men and Mesu was a very lucky boy to stay out the bin for blatant late tackle on Myler. Misfiring Game management made our midfield look ordinary and our wide plays were just not working . Underlines how good Kinghorn has been of late give or take the odd howler .
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:25 am

Ref also missed no arms late hit on Anscombe by Hutchinson in same movement so extremely lucky to escape a double yellow !
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:48 pm

Trophyhunter wrote:Just viewed recording . We scored when they were 14 men and Mesu was a very lucky boy to stay out the bin for blatant late tackle on Myler. Misfiring Game management made our midfield look ordinary and our wide plays were just not working . Underlines how good Kinghorn has been of late give or take the odd howler .

Kinghorn at 10 is so good because he takes the ball to line consistently and tries an ambitious pass from time to time. Van Der Walt plays sideways and shovels a pass everytime. It's far too easy for the defence.

He just doesn't suit the play style at all. It was clear the difference Vs London Irish. When Kinghorn was at 10 the LI defence was challenged every attack but it became too easy when VdW was on.

I really can't see why he's playing over Savala or even Chamberlain. Who both have huge development left but at least challenge the defence as a carrying threat which is what Blair's attack relies on. It's time we move on from VdW. He's an average to below average player.

I also noticed despite his obvious strengths as a carrier Kunavula isn't much at the breakdown or in defence.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:45 pm

Agree on VDW , so often our centres got the stick for toothless attack when invariably VDW put them on the back foot , that said the ball would already be slow as he recurved it. Savala needs to get played more.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:55 pm

Now I don't think VDW had his best game but certainly 2nd half we had little platform from the pack either. Breakdown ospreys got away with lying wherever they fancied putting hands on ball just enough to slow us down does not make life easier for your 10 if not in form.

Savala has looked decent when given a chance but I don't recall seeing Chamberlain at all this season, has he made a match day 23 and been used yet?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:49 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Now I don't think VDW had his best game but certainly 2nd half we had little platform from the pack either. Breakdown ospreys got away with lying wherever they fancied putting hands on ball just enough to slow us down does not make life easier for your 10 if not in form.

Savala has looked decent when given a chance but I don't recall seeing Chamberlain at all this season, has he made a match day 23 and been used yet?

No he hasn't so Blair clearly doesn't fancy him. But for Cockers he did attack the line a bit. The ball was slow that's true but even when it is VdW just creates nothing. If we're playing a high energy expansive game then VdW can't do that.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:27 pm

I think VDW is very much a confidence player and right now he seems to have very little.

When he is confident he plays flat to the line and is capable of firing out the flat passes to bring runners onto the ball. When he isnt he edges deeper and deeper.

Agree Savala looks decent. I really am disapointed in the amount of tiem Chamberlain has had, but obvioulsy something stopping it. There are some in that sort of age group who really missed out on a couple of years development due to covid, at the crucial time when they needed to make the progression from age grade to senior rugby. He may still get there though and its frustrating to see Thompson doing well for Glasgow.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:19 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I think VDW is very much a confidence player and right now he seems to have very little.

When he is confident he plays flat to the line and is capable of firing out the flat passes to bring runners onto the ball. When he isnt he edges deeper and deeper.

Agree Savala looks decent. I really am disapointed in the amount of tiem Chamberlain has had, but obvioulsy something stopping it. There are some in that sort of age group who really missed out on a couple of years development due to covid, at the crucial time when they needed to make the progression from age grade to senior rugby. He may still get there though and its frustrating to see Thompson doing well for Glasgow.

If the Super 6 was running at the moment then the likes of Chamberlain could get at least the occasional bit of game time in it. Pro players are no longer being drafted to the Premiership, which is a shame. It'd be better for guys to get an occasional run-out there rather than playing literally no rugby at all, as is currently the case. Not sure if S6 is remaining on the schedule it adopted last season, or if that was just a Covidy thing?
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:09 pm

VDW is perhaps a “ confidence “ player and I don’t doubt his skill sets nor his physical commitment in defence but it’s the lack of threat in the manner of Kinghorn and his game judgement is erratic and perhaps not corrected by coaching environment of last few years. Ross Thomson on the other hand whilst not much different as an individual threat shows real alacrity and calmness in game management and judgement not to mention a very cultured left peg.
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum