Bradbury off.

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Bradbury off.

Postby Pitfitter446 on Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:13 am

Reported that Magnus is off to Bradford Bears at season end, after 8 years seems maybe too much competition in his position means not enough game time or better wages at Bristol.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Re: Bradbury off.

Postby TheSmidge on Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:30 am

Pitfitter446 wrote:Reported that Magnus is off to Bradford Bears at season end, after 8 years seems maybe too much competition in his position means not enough game time or better wages at Bristol.

With Kunavlua, Mata, Muncaster and Haining also capable of playing 8 (subject to contract status) and just as much competition at 6, I'm not massively surprised. His form has been terrific this year and could well be his only chance of a decent payday. He also won't get very far in the Premiership if he fades out of games at 8. English game needs big shifts from the back of the scrum.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:48 am

Good business from Bristol. Unload the massively expensive Hughes, and get a quality replacement. As already mentioned, it does ease the backrow logjam developing, but for absolutely no informed reason I'm a little bit surprised he's going.

Good luck to him.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:59 am

He has been excellent this year having lost his way a little under Cockerill. I hope the move works out for him, I think Bristol is an excellent choice - good coaches and they like to play a more open and expansive game which will suit his style of game. He has all the attributes to be an excellent player more consistently than he has been lately and I think this will suit him down to the ground. I wish him well. On a selfish note for Embra it means we will see more of Muncaster at 8 and this is no bad thing either!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:12 pm

Disappointed to lose him but we are stacked in the backrow, actual thought it may have been Mata off to Bristol and Bradbury staying. Should free up budget for less well resourced positions.

Pat Lam is a good coach and may well get the best out of him which would be great for Scotland. Wish him all the best.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:35 pm

It's always disappointing to lose quality players, but best of luck to him, I really hope he makes a real go of it.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:59 pm

We shouldn't forget that Skinner joins us later this year and offers a good option at 6, as probably does Sykes.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:21 pm

Sad to see him go as an absolute beast at times. Hopefully he can give us 100% until the end of the season.

Good for Muncaster, and possibly Brown too. Back row is one area where we coudl shed a couple and still be strong.

My one fear at Bristol is if Lam signs him he is not 100% to be there next year if their form doesnt pick up. The form of Nathan Hughes has been great after he left too.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Trophyhunter on Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:13 pm

Sorry to see Bradbury leave .. difficult season last year for him but he has been excellent most of this year . That said am sure he will thrive at Bristol under Pat Lam and relish the Rugby culture of the South West. Muncaster , Boyle , Crosbie et al will no doubt miss him on a personal level but it makes space for them to build their careers and reputations at Edinburgh. Win/ Win for all parties .
Trophyhunter
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum